main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Camping Trip

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Ariadnae1, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Hey guys. This is just a friendly reminder that if you are planning on going camping with the club, we need to have the money by the next meeting which is June 11.

We had a blast last year, and I think this year is going to be even more fun. Who doesn't want to camp, float, get sunburnt and smell like campfire smoke? It is a blast.

Hope to see everyone there!!!

Erin

2. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Just an update:

For those that have paid, I have reserved our campsites. For those that have not, I strongly urge you to either get the $$$ to me quick, or go to www.reserveusa.com and reserve your site. We are camping at Buffalo campground in Idaho, it's listed under "Targhee". We are going up on July 16 and leaving on July 18. You can also call 1-877-444-6777 to reserve your spot.

The spots we have reserved so far are B10, B11, and B13. B14 and B15 are (as of now) still available.

Again, the cost is $20 per car, with 2 cars to a spot. That breaks down as follows:

$10.00/night camp fee
    5.00/night second car fee
    9.00 reservation fee

So that's $30.00 for the camping plus the $9.00 reservation fee, which is a total of 39.00. The $5.00/night second car fee is not paid at the time of reservation but when we arrive, and we will hold that money in reserve to pay those fees at that time.

If you have any questions call me at 529-8573....

Doug

3. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Doug, I just paid my money and will be in spot B7 for the trip. I am bringing the usual camping items such as EL lightsaber and video camera (I was hoping to film a scene for my upcoming video project while there. Loads of fun).

4. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    EXCELLENT!

For those of you that did not make the meeting, I have more info on the trip, I will try to post it tomorrow...now I must sleep...

Doug

5. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi Gang,

Here's the camping trip info. This is the same info I handed out at the meeting...

The camping trip is all set. We will be arriving at the campground on Friday, July 16, 2004 and leave on Sunday, July 18. We will be camping at Buffalo campground located in Island Park, ID. Take Highway 20 north toward West Yellowstone, MT. You will go through Rigby, Rexburg, St. Anthony, Ashton, and more. When you leave Ashton you?ll come to the ?Ashton Hill?. Go straight up. Continue to follow US20. Eventually you?ll cross the Buffalo River. On the left side of the road will be Pond?s Lodge, a large retail area. Slow down because you?re close. Just past Pond?s, on the right side of the road is the entrance to the campground. All total it?s about 75 miles from Idaho Falls to the campground.

We have reserved 4 campsites in loop ?B?. There is a large sign with a map on it at the entrance, this will point you in the right direction. The loops are all ?one-way?, so pay attention to that.

Each loop of the campground has 2 or 3 restroom facilities. These have running water and are permanent facilities, not ?outhouses?. Yes, the toilets flush! I believe they also have power in them, but I?m not sure about that one. Each loop also has 1 or 2 water spigots. The water is usually potable, but you might want to bring your own just to be sure. It?s definitely fine for doing dishes etc. Each campsite has a fire pit and a freestanding ?grill?, along with a picnic table. Firewood is usually obtainable with a little work, but it may not hurt to bring a small, portable gas grill if you have one, or charcoal. According to the U.S. Forest Service, this IS bear country so you?ll want to practice safe food storage techniques. I?ve been camping at this spot for 20 years and have never seen a bear (although others tell me they have). But I have seen the occasional moose in the river, especially around evening.

Plan your meals carefully and bring your own food. I suggest bringing as little that needs to be kept cold as possible. There is ice available at Pond?s, but at a price of about $2.00/bag.

For recreation, there?s the Buffalo River. You can fish, but I won?t promise you?ll catch anything. There is other fishing within a short drive, for instance the Henry?s fork of the Snake River just up US 20 a few miles at Mack?s Inn. The most fun can be had IN the river, bring your float tubes, old clothes, and old shoes and float the river. It?s rarely over waist-deep. We usually walk up the river to a small dock built just for the purpose, then ?put in? there, and float back down to our campsites. The float takes about 40 minutes, and is a nice, relaxing trip. If you need a float tube, you might check with Tire Recyclers at 522-4963. Several of us got the BIG truck tubes last year for CHEAP from them. Small rubber rafts work too, but the tubes are the most fun. If you desire, West Yellowstone is about a 30-minute-drive from the campground. If you plan it, you could spend the day in Yellowstone Park and then come back to the campground.

I have assigned people to campsites. These assignments are as follows:

PERSON CAMPSITE
    Chris Lansford B14
    Marion Lansford and Monty B14
    Adam Forsgren B13
    Erik Neilsen B13
    Brad Mathews B13
    Neil Nebeker B13
    Ryan Atwood B13
    Nick Winterfeld B13
    Doug Atwood B10
    Laura Pierson and Alan Wertsching B11
    Erin Skinner B11

If you can?t campout but would like to come up for the day feel free, the more the merrier!

If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 529-8573.

Doug

6. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    woo hoo! 1 week and counting!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.