main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Can a Force-Sensitive have a child that isn't?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dominick1216, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    Can a Force-Sensitive have a child that isn't Force-Sensitive?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Tigris in The Crystal Star is the child of two Force sensitives that did not inherit it.

Zorrixor and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't remember her name, but there was a daughter of a Jedi in the Legacy comics that was not Force sensitive.

It does happen, but seems so rare.

I would love to see it explored more. I've always felt a storyline with great potential.

Zorrixor and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    It happens rarely, and it would be... awkward to say the least.

Crystal Star was not a good book, although the one in the Legacy comic seemed fine, finding some other way to contribute.

Probably the most famous one is Theron Shan, secret son of Grandmaster Satele Shan from SWTOR. Worse yet, they didn't even realize he wasn't Force sensitive for years. So he became a spy instead. He doesn't hate the Jedi, but he still has issues about it.

5. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Their are rare characters that are said to not be force sensitive.

However the majority of these characters either do not get many pages written about them or they pull off feats that would match a Jedi. Chances are if they are given sufficient pages they will pull a Tavi of Caledron.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah it happens from time to time.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Fionah Ti is the character from SW Legacy.

spicer and mes520 like this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ania Solo

It's pretty much confirmed she's a descendant of Jaina Solo.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's criminally under-explored territory and that has the unfortunate effect of rendering the Force a matter of genetics.

mes520 and Zorrixor like this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Aptitude for sensing the Force has always been implied to be a matter of inheritance, for the most part.

I don't know that I'd agree that it was ever outright rendered a "matter of genetics", though, even if that is the most likely explanation. Luke inherits his father's sensitivity for the Force, certainly, but is that because he has the same blood, or because his "luminous being" was engendered by a union that involved Anakin's?

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No more awkward than a pair of Muggles whose child has Force-sensitivity and gets carted away to the Jedi Temple.

I'd feel a Jedi having a child who wasn't would be easier because at least the Jedi parents know what can happen-- whereas the Muggle is taken completely be surprise.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Correlation does not imply causation!

zompusbite likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What I'm more getting at with the genetics quip Uli is that, Force-sensitive parents hook-up, get Force-sensitive kid and no other pattern is shown, then that representation can lead people towards the conclusion, that's it is just genetics.

As the Force is basically magic, I don't think it's a good idea to try and de-mystify it in this way.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    ... quip?

Anyway, fair dos. Can't say I disagree. I'm definitely in favour of more varied outcomes.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's always been that way though, with the force running strong in families, unless it's the force choosing families and bloodlines to be strong and others not so much.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Force isn't magic. :confused:

zompusbite, Riv_Shiel and rumsmuggler like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It was until the dark times.... Until the coming of midiclorians....

Revanfan1, Sarge and Zorrixor like this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But for example in Harry Potter magic is genetic but very variable.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Force was never magic. It's much more complex than that. It's curious that you correlate making it less like magic as de-mystifying it, because I view magic as being not mystical at all. Particularly not in something like Harry Potter. There's no spiritual or numinous component to it. Midi-chlorians or not, the Force only became more mystical with the prequels and the introduction of the Unifying/Cosmic Force and the idea of Anakin being a Chosen One. Conceived by the midi-chlorians or not, they don't have agency.

zompusbite, Revanfan1 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Very good point. There's no discussion in Harry Potter of where the magic comes from. And all the mad scientist plot lines in the EU have the scientist declare that the Force makes no sense. Yes there are midichlorians and you can study them but there's some missing piece.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which is kind of the point, 'magic' tends to be a shorthand term for things that are beyond explanation.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The midichlorians work in mysterious ways.

zompusbite likes this.
  23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, yeah, that's a strange situation too, but if the child of a Force sensitive doesn't have the ability, then they're kind of out of the family business too. Both situations would be... strange, but the one who sould feel alienated would be different. Either the Muggles would give up their child to Jedi training, or in the darker eras have the Sith take the child, or the non-Force sensitive child of Jedi would grow up around a bunch of people with Force abilities. Well, at least in those eras where Jedi allow families. Satele gave up her son at birth, giving him to one of her old Jedi Masters, then turns out he doesn't have the ability anyway, so all those years of training were for nothing.

There are also those with "marginal" abilities, who have Force sensitivity but can't really do much with it, at least at first. Zayne Carrick is probably one of the most (in)famous examples, Scout from the Clone Wars era is probably another, those who are at the bottom of the class as it were.

I still prefer the Force as mystical, before we got midichlorian counts and all that ("His midichlorian count is over 9000!"... for those who get that joke :p ). The EU has mostly kept to that portrayal, fortunately, that every time some scientist tries to muck about with the Force, it doesn't end well. Usually simple clones of Force-sensitives will also turn out Force-sensitive, but when they try to do anything else, it doesn't end well. Demagol and his experiments, that secret lab in Crosscurrent (no matter how stupid the ideas there were, "splicing together Jedi and Sith genes" :rolleyes: ) .

Then there's also these odd flukes, like back in Darksaber I remember there was this whole planet of clones, and the 81st clone of someone suddenly became Force sensitive, while his predecessor wasn't... though his successor was also Force sensitive so something changed. Too bad there was no Dorsk 83, I think, but then even referencing Dorsk 82 (only to kill him off though) was already a stretch for the novels.

In a way, though, this all goes back to the OT, when Yoda said the Force was strong in Luke's family, in his father, in Luke and in Luke's sister as well, so what can you do about that, oh well. Jedi do often come off as wizards, so that's often how the "talent" is portrayed as, from a genetics point of view or otherwise.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Whenever stories try to do mystical stuff, the danger is they end up in knots.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Nobody145 You don't like Kemp's crazy stuff?! :p

ugh

The EU was doing the midi-chlorian thing with paddles or whatever first, I think this idea of an objective means of verifying Force sensitivity is just an idea that will come up in storytelling.

Plus the thing about Scouters is that they were never reliable. :p

There's actually a lot of similarities there, given their mutual influence by Chinese mysticism and the Dao.