main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can all writers help me

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Velvet_Elfin, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velvet_Elfin

Velvet_Elfin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2002
    I am writing a term paper for my english class about fan fiction and I need opinions for and against.

The Theis sentence is "Is fan fiction a viable art form or theivery and are the creators writers or criminals.

It would also be good if you want to say why in general terms you write it even though you migh get told that it isn't worth anything cause you are using someone elses characters or settings.

Please do not asume that I am against fan fiction or I feel that you are criminal. Because if you are so am I.

Any help will be apprecitated. You can use either the boards if your willing to help or my PMs.

Thank you in advance.

Vely

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    In my con report is a slight discussion of fan fiction and how paid authors feel about it. Here's the Link

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Are you dealing only with SW or anything. Also is it dealing with published works or just internet stuff.

Anyway I am not much a fan writer. I have written a few in the past but I write my own story. I like to come up with my own characters, settings and plots and have the freedom to play within them. Basically I feel that fanfic does not give me enough freedom to move about and is not really something I'm interested in. Other authors like to play around in those realms of fiction. The reason I write is that I enjoy exploring my own ideas. So basically I am not a fan fiction type of writer. I don't feel that it is stealing anything as long as the orginal writer gets credit and shares of the profit (if any.) Some writers enjoy it and others don't. I personally don't like a writer like Kevin J. Anderson who mostly writes novels that are not his own ideas. He writes Star Wars novels and Dune novels mostly and he is and never will be as creative as George Lucas or Frank Herbert. This all really depends on the author.

-Seldon

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Diane, I missed you Con Report when you first posted it, that was terrible interesting!

Velvet_Elfin, it really does surprise me that people would consider fanficcers criminal because of their love of an author' characters and their imaginative way to show it.

Personally, I write fanfic for the way it makes me feel. I don't consider myself particularly good at it, but I haven't let that stop me. Nor other's for reading and commenting on it with positive words. Not only do the replies give me warm fuzzies, they give me a wonderful sense of encouragement and community as I get the chance to know them. Who in their right mind can say that that isn't worth soemthing because I'm borrowing someone elses characters?

I'm not one of those looking to practice and improve my craft, I'm only playing here for the sheer enjoyment of it, which brings up another point.

There are stories on these boards that are more artistic, more developed and defined then anything I've read in a book. What would really be criminal is that these fine writer's don't get the chance to shine beyond this forum.

Was is Frostfyre that recently informed me that one of my current fave writers Lois McMaster Bujold had a central character in her Miles Vorkosigan books start out as an OC character in Sherlock Homes fanfic??

Think about it! :D :D

5. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Hi! I started a similiar topic a few years ago based on a scholarly article I had to read in a TV class:

Fan Fiction Writers as Poachers. I quoted from the article and gave a biblographical listing for it. It might be useful if you can find it ;)

I'm sure some of the statements by the fan fic authors will be useful to you :)

6. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Obviously, I'm for writing fan fics and I don't think it's a criminal activity. I like it because I can make up my own scenarios but have already created characters, worlds, environments, etc. to work with. To me, it's easier writing fan fiction with that instead of completely creating your own universe with the same scenario/plot. However, I do try and write my own stuff.

Anyway, I think you could consider it thievery if the fan fiction writer didn't give credit to the original author.

Why I write fan fiction? Probably because I've always imagined my favorite characters doing different things in my mind than what they did in the movie/book. I just didn't realize other people did and also wrote them down until summer of 2002.

JS

7. Velvet_Elfin

Velvet_Elfin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2002
    Thank you for your help maybe with the documention I can get from this I will be able to change the mind on what fanfic is and why it is done for seven people who might find out that they like it to. Again thanks.

8. jade_saber8000

jade_saber8000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    The way I see it, fanfic isn't stealing. IT's an art. The authors don't claim to own whatever it came from so why would it be wrong? I have no idea but if anyone has an opinion i'd love to hear it. Pm me k? ~Gabby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.