Can anyone be pure evil??

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just a thought, there are people who say that murderers and other such people are compleatly evil.

I don't think that it's possible for anyone to be compleatly evil or compleatly good. The only thing we can do is to balance out the two and be a better person

opinions?
  2. Jedi_Master_Anakin Force Ghost

star 4
    I totally agree. Even Osama Bin Laden has his good points. Not many par se, but some good ones nonetheless. I mean look at him, he wants to bring a holy war for his brothers of islam. Well thats just My opinion.
  3. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think everyone is born with a greater potential for good than evil. If you look at a small baby, it's completely innocent. I think environmental factors are a major influence and may cause some to turn evil. I think that potential for good is always there, but an evil person would most likely not act on it... so maybe they have no potential for good... or maybe they had, but lost it... ah this is kinda a paradox for me.
  4. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    Someone who is pure evil will try to convince you that he/she is the sweetest, most innocent being on the planet.
  5. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    I quote

"There is always something good in evil and something evil in good"
  6. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Nobody is purely evil, nobody is purely good, unless you're watching Fantasy/SF.
  7. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How true...
    I'll add in another quote : "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." The worst of whatever Mankind has been able to do was made in the name of "good ideals", alas.
  8. EnforcerSG Jedi Master

star 4
    Well i wonder how many times people just said their actions were done with good intentions and actually were done for another reason.
  9. Adelaide Jedi Master

star 4
    There is always something good in evil and something evil in good

Methinks that sounds like Yin-Yang. :D

To me, evil is evil, and man is evil. And no one is perfectly good except for God. :)
  10. Liana_Joppa Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with you, Adelaide, that man is certainly not perfect, but I don't think that man in evil. I think that everyone is at least born with some good in their heart. Whether they push it out as they get older or not I don't know, but I think that everyone has some good in them.
  11. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    evil is evil, and man is evil.

Well what about...

uhm...

Mother Therasa?

She is kind off good. See something good in evil ;)
  12. Adelaide Jedi Master

star 4
    Whozat? ?[face_plain]

Well, uh...goodness sakes, girlie! Stop stalking me! ;) :p

NEwayz, you can't be lukewarm, y'know...you can't walk with God and run with the devil, so, uh...unless we ask God to forgive us of our sins, well, y'know...we can't be...I dunnno! :_| Ur comfubbling me!!
  13. Liana_Joppa Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, I like stalking people. :p

BTW though, God is perfect - we aren't. Get it? We aren't perfect, but we're not evil. Evil and bad are two very different things. OK, we're born with a "sin nature" before we accept God, but that doesn't mean we're born evil. ;)
  14. Adelaide Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, okies, now I get where you're ocmin' from. :p Sry...
  15. Liana_Joppa Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey! We all get confubbled at some point! :p
  16. Devilanse Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A purely evil person can still have a little good in them. But its going to be negligible. Hitler slaughtered millions of people, but I'm sure he loved his dog and took care of him.

A good person can still have a streak of evil...That really nice guy who lets you borrow his lawnmower, he can get in his car and curse someone's mother because of some stupid road rage incident.

If you can look at this world, and humanity as a whole, and think god is perfect...

:D

God isn't perfect...we're living proof.
  17. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    John-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg was purely evil. :D
  18. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We can't be born evil - we become evil through outside influences on our lives - such as abusive relationships or peer pressure - and sometimes, I think, through our own personal failings as people that can lead to people hating themselves and make them bitter and angry people.

And no one here can say they've never thought an evil thought because that isn't possible. We're all capable of thinking nasty things but luckily the majority of us have enough control over ourselves to make sure we never commit atrocities.

19. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    So far, I haven't seen where 'evil' has been defined.

Regardless, I believe there are people who are nigh completely, or thoroughly evil, but not "perfectly" evil. This is an important distinction. Evil is acquiescence and capitulation with the immoral, which without resistance, is a pervasive influence that spreads like a malevolent virus to corrupt the being. One gives oneself over to evil willingly. An example would be a youngwoman in this forum who is knowingly consorting with a demonic entity, yet her fascination, that of the proverbial moth to the flame, prompts her to invite this entity ever closer. That invitation has opened the door to something that will further corrupt and delude, and it comes by her consent, not her resistance.

Evil, an inherently moral terminology, is by definition 'imperfection.'
    Such that, no, nothing is "perfectly evil," because that is a logical contradiction in terms.

That this thread deals specifically issues and degrees of "good and evil" or ethics and morality, it becomes a valid assumption that when speaking of "perfection" you are attempting to make an ethical call.

"God isn't perfect..."

Okay, you've set up a premise, but you haven't logically substantiated why I should agree with this premise.

Firstly, you haven't offered a definition of 'perfection,' or any set of criterion that must be met in order to determine if God's attributes
    pass or fail the application of these standards of perfection.

Next, you haven't proven as an imperfect being, thus inhabited by an imperfect mind, that you are logically capable of making a reliable test in determining actual perfection, or the applicability of such a for a transcendent God whom by definition you cannot even fully comprehend or mentally encompass.

Can a finite imperfect being adequately critique a transcendent and infinite being? Logically, no.

God is perfect because He lacks nothing.

"...we're living proof."

I totally disagree.

Perfect love necessitates perfect free will.

Because we are imperfect suggests that in this knowledge we cannot fully trust ourselves, and thus our decisions, necessitating the need for a reliance on a perfect God, who is therefore transcendentally trustworthy.

Pottery: The Vase

That a perfect being created a perfect vase, and subsequently an imperfect one broke the beautiful vase. The vase, nolonger perfect as crafted, was broken into myriad shards, each piece still residually reflective of the beautiful aesthetics of it's once perfect original pristine form.

The imperfect man might argue that the shards are perfect shards, but that is a warped and demented appraisal made from an imperfect man in his imperfect logic and equally in an intrinsically imperfect evaluation, from someone's warped values.

Was the vase imperfect to begin with? No. It was perfectly created until flaws were imposed upon it. The material was perfect to it's purpose and in the designer's intentional choice.

Further, if we read the creation account in the Book of Genesis, it never says that God created mankind "perfect," but that "it was good."

Rather, mankind was equipped to do every good work.

Can a furniture maker choose to craft a piece of furniture with intentional flaws? Yes, this is often done in a process called antiquing. Therefore, because the creation is made intentionally imperfect doesn't logically necessitate it's Creator being imperfect. Therefore, that mankind is imperfect doesn't logically necessitate that it's transcendent Creator is imperfect. One is exclusive from the other.
  20. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Ginger Jedi,

"We can't be born evil.."

Please substantiate this.
  21. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    _Darth_Brooks_ I personally feel that a newborn baby isn't born into this world 'evil' as they don't know what is good and evil - they're far too young. I feel that in order to be an evil person you must first commit an act that is considered wrong - such as murder, rape or terrorism. A baby is completely incapable of anything like this and is therefore, in my opinion, not evil.

And don't Christians and many other religions believe life is a miracle given by God? If so, why would he allow babies to be born evil?

Surely evil deeds have to come from a conscious decision we make. You aren't born that way, you become that way.
  22. Devilanse Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Darth Brooks...

You could've saved yourself from having to type all that babble by simply saying...

"No, I'm right and you're wrong."

Because thats all you said in that wordy, winded statement.

Provide proof?

Sure...

As soon as you provide proof that god IS perfect.

Can you, as an imperfect being, even begin to comprehend what god truly is?

A big fat NO.

Can you, as an imperfect being, righteously tell me what is right, and what god is?

Again...A big fat NO.

Practice what you preach, Darth Brooks.

I respect anyone's choice to follow a particualr religion...

What I don't respect is someone telling me that since they call themselves Christians or Catholics, or whatever that they are experts and can say for sure what their god truly is.

How did this become a god discussion anyhow? The topic is about pure evil. Wait a minute...

Pure evil...religion...hmmm...

OK, I see the connection.

:D

23. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
  24. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I personally feel that a newborn baby isn't born into this world 'evil' as they don't know what is good and evil - they're far too young. I feel that in order to be an evil person you must first commit an act that is considered wrong - such as murder, rape or terrorism. A baby is completely incapable of anything like this and is therefore, in my opinion, not evil.

I am not a religious person. But I believe babies are purely innocent, because they are incapable of evil or evil thoughts. I believe people become evil through events that happen to them in their lives.
  25. Cow_Girl Chapter Rep Niagara ON, CA

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I agree.

I don't think that there is any way that a baby could possibly be born evil. If a murderer is considered evil, there is a reason they have killed, wether it was an expereince that may have chnaged them, or it could be the fact that they are mentally Ill.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.