main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can anyone explain how sideboards are gonna work?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by MoronDude, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Is there a limit to how many cards you can have in a sideboard?

Are the defensive sheilds the only cards used in the sideboard?

Do you have to draw out of the sideboard, or are they automaticly available from the begining making it like an extended 'hand'?

Does the Sideboard count as "Force" and if so, can you lose cards from your sideboard for 'force drains' etc?

Is there a limit to how many Defensive Sheilds you can have on the table at any given time?

If other people have questions about Sideboards and Defensive Sheilds, please post them, and I'm sure one of the more intellegent posters can answer them.

2. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Is there a limit to how many cards you can have in a sideboard?
    The starting effects allows you to have up to 10 cards in the sideboard.

Are the defensive sheilds the only cards used in the sideboard?
    Technically, no, as the effect states "cards" can be placed under the effect. However, the only cards that can be accessed via the sideboard are Defensive sheilds, thus, they are the only ones you would put there.

Do you have to draw out of the sideboard, or are they automaticly available from the begining making it like an extended 'hand'?
    You can choose which card you wish to play.

Does the Sideboard count as "Force" and if so, can you lose cards from your sideboard for 'force drains' etc?
    Your side board is not part of your 60 caqrd limit, thus they are not part of your life force. Therefor, you can't lose them to satisfy force loss.

Is there a limit to how many Defensive Sheilds you can have on the table at any given time?
    The starting effect let's you play a maximum of 3

Other info: Defensive sheilds "play", not deploy, so they can be played at any time, between actions. You cannot play a Defensive Sheild as a response to an action.

Because Defensive sheilds play and not deploy, you cannot play the defensive sheild "Secret Plans" at the start of the game if you are playing TDIGWATT, because the objective specifies deploy.
    Hope that helps,
    BPJ

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The Starting Effects tell you everything you need to know about sideboards.

4. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Heh, heh. That's what I was going to say, but I just wanted to show off a little :)

5. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Can you build your regular deck to include Defensive Shields, or do you have to sideboard them? I know you never really would, since most of the Shields are remakes of old Effects, which are more powerful and have a better destiny than the Shields, but could you?

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You may include them as a part of your 60-card deck, but it would be next to useless since they are destiny 0.

7. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I agree with Bib. Reason to not put them in your deck would be to do with the fact that you can play any 3 of the 10 DS under your effect, rather than wait for the card to get to your hand before you can use it.

8. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Woops, software connection shortage caused a double post, so i thought i'd add some more comments on the DS.

I think they are very strategic, both for the player using them and your opponent. I mean, look like your going to retrieve, and out comes CBHYBC. Play Sabaac, and We'll let fate decide hits the table. Plan carefully, or find a way to work around the shields.

Another point of interest is the number of sheilds available. I think I counted 17 for each side, while the effect only allows 10. I don't believe that some of the cards, like Leave them to me will be included, since operatives decks aren't common. (On the other hand, perhaps operatives may become more popular?)

I haven't seen the spoiler yet, but No Escape is an interesting inclusion, as it should free up an effect space for HDADTJ.

I think that defensive sheilds will have quite an effect on gameplay. Is it just me, or is the "usable" space in a deck being taken up by "external" things. What I mean is just when I've become used to including a podracer (just in case) now another spot is taken up with the staring effect.

Maybe in the future there will be a defensive sheild that allows you to pull a podracer from under your starting effect.

A question that i have seen around is: can I play both a starting effect and a starting interrupt? The answer is yes. The starting routine (non tourney) of the game is now:

1) Deploy Starting Effect and cards under it
    2) Deploy starting location/ objective
    3) Dark side deploys locations and cards allowed by objective, followed by the light side
    4) Dark side plays starting interrupt, deploying cards, or taking cards into hand. Light side then does likewise.
    5) Both players shuffle their decks and allow opponent to cut
    6) Both players draw hands.

Phew, it takes ages just to start the game!

9. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    >>>4) Dark side plays starting interrupt, deploying cards, or taking cards into hand. Light side then does likewise.

Just to clarify: Both players reveal Starting Interrupts simultaneously, but the player who goes first (usually the Dark Side player) does whatever their Interrupt allows first. Which I think is a little cheap, since the Light Side knows all the stuff they'll have to counter immediately before they play their Effects, but that's the rules.

About the Defensive Shields though: it almost seems like one of the Defensive Shield plays is worth more space than a regular card slot. Especially if it's a card you know you'll use almost every game. Like Secret Plans, the combo version from Coruscant seems a lot more efficient than the Shield version, even though the Shield doesn't take up a card slot, since it only takes up one of your 60 card slots, but the Shield takes up one of only 3 plays. Not to mention that the combo version does a bunch more cool stuff than the Shield. I think the Shields are probably going to be best used for cards like We'll Let Fate-a Decide, A Close Race, A Useless Gesture, He Can Go About His Business, and other cards that only exist as Shields.

10. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, here's a question NOT found on the Starting Effects(sorry, about the other questions, I never bothered to read the new R3 cards)

Why does the Dark Side Sideboard allowing card FEAR IS MY ALLY allow 10 cards to be put there, and the light side card AN UNUSUAL AMOUNT OF FEAR only allow 8? Is there a good explanation for this completly unbalanced card combo? (I know this is not a big point, given the fact that they both only allow 3 cards to be used anyway, but why 8 and not 10 for the light side?)

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You stack 10 under each card.

12. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    No, you stack 10 under FEAR IS MY ALLY. You can only stack 8 under AN UNUSUAL AMOUNT OF FEAR.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Nope. You can stack 10 under each. The card on Decipher is wrong.

14. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Wrong?!? Did Decipher say it was?

15. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    It definately says 10 MD. Check the spoiler list.

16. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, then answer me this, why do you put more stock in the spoiler list than you do in the actual card image, huh?!?

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Because the actual card says 10, and that takes precedence over Decipher's card image.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    http://www.ryloth.com/swccg/images/auaof.jpg

19. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Or you could always look at the image at Decipher's site (it was posted today)

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    As I said earlier, the image on Decipher's site is wrong. The image on ryloth.com is a scan of the actual card.

21. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    LOL
    Actaully, I mentioned the D Website because I thought it supported your stance Bib, though I never bothered to check the image myself! I'll go do that now.

EDIT: I checked it and the card image is wrong. I guess they should rename it "An unusual amount of Defensive Sheilds"! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.