main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Ben understand R2???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Count_Thermal, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Thermal

Count_Thermal Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2002
    When they meet again (ben and R2) in ANH, Ben acts as if he can understand what R2 is saying. Can he??

exp:

"BEEP BEEP BEEP"

"oh don't worry, he'll be alright."

Also I remember reading a thread about Ben remembering R2 at this point in ANH, but I can't remember what was said about this.

Did Ben remember who R2 was? That would explain some things.

2. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
    When he said that he belonged to an Obi-Wan Kenobi I'm sure that Ben then realized who he was.

3. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    Did he understand R4?

4. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
    I don't think that anyone understands droids except with the help of something. I think that Luke understands him the most because of the Force helps him to decipher the meaning and also he's been around him so long he can tell by the song of his beeps what he is basically saying.

5. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Perhaps R-Unit droids have a basic pattern of "beeps" that construct the equivalent of some common language in the SW universe - like a Galactic Esperanto or something. For more complex messages, a translator droid or a computer is needed. Just my guess...

6. geordiejedi1982

geordiejedi1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    I think it's one of those things of when you've been around them long enough you can guess what they're thinking, like how people answer with comments when dogs bark. The emotion from R2's beeps implied he was worried about Luke, so Obi-wan figured thats what he said

7. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Why couldn't Obi-Wan understand Artoo? Han seemed to understand that Treadwell in Echo Base

Treadwell: Buzz Beep Beep
    Han: Well, there's gotta be a problem with it, check it at the other end.

8. geordiejedi1982

geordiejedi1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    i forgot about the treadwell! Now there's a scene that always cracks me up. It's just played off like it's completely normal for a robot to beep and the human to understand it...

9. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    It's just another language. Given enought time I can't see any reason that they wouldn't speak droid.

10. Han_mahbukee

Han_mahbukee Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    There's a book I bought at Borders that has all the languages and main 'alien' phrases. I suppose droids have a small language of their own. There's a whole section in the book deciphering different beeps,whistles, and whirrs.

11. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    I agree with geordiejedi1982's answer. Even if not he probably just had a feeling or sensed what R2 was worrying about. I'm sure he knew R2 wasn't asking him for a oil bath.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Right, I think people can pick up on the general emotion in a droid's beep without the help of a computer. Maybe when Han was talking to that Treadwell, he told it to check some specific thing, so he understand what the droid meant by answering in the negative. Or something.

13. Bri-Nic

Bri-Nic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2004
    Ben Burtt said at one point that R2's beeps were based on the sounds an infant would make. You can also think of it as someone humming instead of saying words. It is not difficult to get the jist of what they're saying. I guess you never really know for sure though ;)

As for Luke, he had that trippy decoder screen in his x-wing that translated R2's beeps into auberish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.