main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Can C-3P0 be salvaged?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by masterskywalker, May 3, 2015.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think many are way too picky about how annoying C3PO is. He's not that bad. He doesn't need 'salvaging' for me.

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    C3 P0 has always been "useless" plot wise to me, even in the OT, but he's still one of my favourite characters in Star Wars.

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Ever since Vector Prime I was hoping this would eventually get addressed. How exactly did the Yuuzhan Vong language happen to be close to that language from a minor Outer Rim tribe? I was confident that this was going to come up again at some point in the NJO, like they'd go to that world and find out the tribe had been a lost Vong colony or crashed scout crew or something, and the heroes would learn some big secret about the Vong from it.

Instead, never even alluded to again outside of the paragraph it's first mentioned.

Riv_Shiel, Vthuil and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

He goes from being "the kind of annoying yet useful" guy on the OT team, to pure comic relief. The bad kind of comic relief. Especially in Rebels where he actively calls the EMPIRE down on the crew of the ghost. Can you imagine the C-3PO that you see in ANH doing that?!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

And Peter Cushing has a knighthood.

I think it's fair enough to distinguish the characterisation from the OT and the PT. Yes, maybe it's the programming but it's hardly by choice. Those faint traces of guile would have kinda made sense coming from Anakin programming him.

I don't think it's any great revelation that Lucas genuinely forgot how the comic relief worked in the OT, insofar as it came chiefly from the humans and how they relate to 3PO (and each other). In the PT there's this need for a designated, unorganic "clown" character that 3PO becomes after Jar Jar was phased out due to overwhelming negativity.

Hopefully Daniels got more input, maybe he has a greater understanding. I mean, I know I mentioned it before but one of the fleeting moments I really love in Empire is Leia's terse "shut up!" when they're fleeing from the Avenger... it's that brilliant comic concept of the only sane one there or, the one who's right getting drowned out because people just don't want to know about the reality of their situation. That's what made the character endearing, and he was a sneaky exposition merchant as well.

In the PT he's just there. There's no tonal or plot input for the character, no need to exist. Same goes for Artoo, actually.

Dante1120, Iron_lord and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like 3PO, but he was at his best when Han was snarking at him and he had no idea why. We could get more of that in TFA and the NEU.

Cheerios4u98 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To each there own. I don't think 3PO is useless or dumbed down or whatever. :p

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as there's no "It's really sad that people do think this",

then people don't object to differences of opinion that avoid subtly putting down the other opinions.