main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Can Darth Maul use Force lightning?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Max Nocerino, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Nocerino

Max Nocerino Jedi Knight star 1

May 22, 2013
    In certain games he's seen using it like the TPM game and Jedi Power Battles, but those are just game mechanics. In Star Wars: The Clone Wars magazine, in the Sith smack down piece, Force Lightning is listed as one of his abilities. Again, unreliable. The only mention of Force Lightning, is in the short story Restraint, it is mentioned that a 15 year old Maul could not yet use this power. So my question is. By 32 BBY, could Maul use this power or then by 21 BBY

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I imagine that he can, it's just not one of his favored skills. Even though it's never brought up in George Lucas' vision of a Jedi order composed entirely of clones, I do actually like the older model of Force users that suggest some are more talented in certain areas of the Force than others. For Maul, he'd be fantastic with the martial abilities (speed/strength enhancement, precognition), but less adept in areas like Force lightning.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Like instantdeath I prefer to think of Maul as just focusing on his martial training more than his sorcery.

Not that I put it past some future source ever deciding to have him just do it for the kriff of it.

4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Can Warb Null use Deadly Sight?

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    No he's wearing a helmet.

Edit: This reminds me of a discussion on the SWTOR forums over whether Revan knew shatterpoint. Because of course he did.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Going by the usual standards of EU evidence, I'd say Maul knows Force lightning. But like was said, it doesn't appear to be one of his favored abilities.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I believe in Darth Plagueis he mentioned a Nightsister that came at him with Force Lightning but he stopped her. So that always sounded to me that he knew about it

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Well, obviously he knew about it. He was apprenticed to a guy who counts "tormenting sentients with soul-sucking electric bolts" as being among his most cherished hobbies.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It should be noted that, despite the boast, Maul does stand up to Force lightning: he takes it and decapitates her. All this really says in relation to Maul is that he's really great at taking pain.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Plagueis claims that the only way to learn to use Force Lightning, is to have been hit by it at least once.

I don't think this is much supported by the rest of the EU though.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I take that more as a philosophical statement than a fact. Same as "the only way to be able to throw a punch is to be able to take one". Obviously not strictly true, but there is a level of truth there.

I imagine most of the 10,000,000 EU Sith who spam Force lightning would crumble if they were actually hit by it.

13. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Impossible to say imo. He seems to heavily favor close-combat and all it's attributes so why would he waste his time on learning force lightning knowing it doesn't suit his style and he's not going to master it anyway.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

Marco1907 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    What Rauno says, pretty much. I think Maul likes to be up close and personal when he kills someone, not standing at a distance frying someone out of his opponent's reach. If I were Maul, I'd think that was a bit cowardly for me to blast someone from far away, I'd end up directing my Force abilities into being super fast, super strong, and being able to see the moves of my enemy before he even thought of them himself. It wouldn't mean that I didn't know how to throw Force Lightning (always still useful for some application) it just wouldn't be what I'd direct much time into learning beyond the basics.

Rauno likes this.
  15. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Well Kreia certainly did, so why not her greatest (beside the Exile, that is) student :D ? Please tell me someone used this as an argument.

As for the topic : Maul has always had a tendency to shun some of the "traditional" Sith teachings and methods, like their favourite lightsaber style or the lightning, preferring to use only his physical skills and his wits to win his fights. It's telling that the only opponent against whom he uses taunts and mindgames is Obi-Wan, his nemesis.

16. DEATHCONQUEROR

DEATHCONQUEROR Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2011
    Not sure, though it would be pretty awesome if, for example, we saw him in his road to becoming his own Master in the Son of Dathomir series, go through a personal great inner and outer struggle to master things he had previously failed to do.....and in an epic climactic scene in one of the four part comics, we see him unleash Sith Lightning with a lightsaber in another hand, for the first time ever. Just my two cents of what could be potentially awesome, but we'll just have to wait and see if he ever does.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Lightning Vos.JPG
    IIRC, Vos wrecked Pol Secura with it and didn't know his own name at the time.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That might be the "fascimile" Plagueis speaks of:

"A Jedi sufficiently strong in the Force can be trained to produce a fascimile, but not true Sith lightning, which, unabated, has the power not only to incapacitate or kill, but to physically transform the victim. Force lightning requires a strength of a sort only a Sith can command because we accept consequence and reject compassion. To do so requires a thirst for power that is not easily satisfied. The Force tries to resist the callings of ravenous spirits; therefore it must be broken and made a beast of burden. It must be made to answer to one's will."
    "But the Force cannot be treated deferentially," he added as a few final tendrils sparked from his fingertips. "In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself."

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, I'm familiar with Hego's opinion but I thought Vos produced raw lightning...
    like a Sith would... drawing on his anger.
    [face_dunno]

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, but it's not real Sith lightning. :p

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    How can he be held to the Sith standard, when he didn't even know he was a Jedi at that moment?
    :p

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even without his memory, Vos was never really someone with "a thirst for power that is not easily satisfied".

Though a simpler explanation would be that Plagueis is trying to impress his apprentice, and bending the truth a bit.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The Guardian's thirst for vengeance was primal... but Plagueis was right about fallen Jedi. They have to justify their turns and Sith without Jedi dogma to overcome, don't have the same "doubt issues" when taking action and dealing with the consequences

Circular Logic and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    With his TK level, absolutely he should use it.

[​IMG]

25. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Darth Maul was nothing more than a tool of Darth Sidious'. More a Sith Assassin than an actual Sith Lord, even if he did bear the title of a Sith Lord. Could he have learned the skill of possessing Sith lightning? Yes. Did he know it? I'm not so sure about that.

I have not seen any Clone Wars episodes with Darth Maul in them, so I base all my knowledge in EP I and Darth Plagueis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.