main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Droids feel the Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by QuiGonJames, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiGonJames

QuiGonJames Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2003

?It is an energy field created by all living things. It combines us, penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.? ? Obiwon

?You must feel the force around you. Everywhere. The tree, the rock, yes. Even between the land and the ship.? --- Yoda

?Nothing happens by accident. All things happen for a reason.? --- QuiGon

(Sorry, not the exact wording. But the point is the same.)

I just thought I would bring up an interesting point of discussion

Looking at the real world first, many world known physists have contemplated the possibility that the universe exists in a form of cosmic ?order? that is supported by a universal consciousness (or god like presence) in all things. If one thinks about it, our brain and bodies are a form of machine. Organic or not, all matter is made of energy and so is the universe.

So lets take into account GL and the research he absorbs when writing his stories. GL has a huge library of everything from history/science to myth and religion. If we reflect upon the above on what Yoda, Obiwon and Qui Gon address in the statements, can a droid (like threepio) obtain a consciousness? It may be a machine, but the concept of consciousness is a mystery (even in the real world). If some machine can, could some droid that has achieved consciousness share a strong relationship with the force? Man may be able to make a machine and even give it A.I. (which is different then consciousness), but a consciousness appears to be ethereal(coincidental or god given).

This is not an opinion or takes into account anything else GL has said. It?s just some random thought to throw out for discussion.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Perhaps that is why he introduced the midiclorians.

3. QuiGonJames

Jan 8, 2003
    Perhaps...

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    General Grievous anyone?

5. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Midiclorian's, according to Qui-Gon, seem to reside inside the cells of living things so I can't imagine a droid being capable of using the Force. Even the partially robotic Vader was still part man so he would still be Force sensitive.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Grievous is a cyborg like Vader, not a droid ;)
    Crap! What the hell is a spoiler with this guy nowadays?

7. QuiGonJames

Jan 8, 2003
    I don't think I was addressing Grevious or any concept of Grevious. Grevious like Vader is not a droid.

As far as midiclorians, I don't seem them as the only things in the universe connected to the force. As I posted the quotes of Yoda and Obiwon above, the force binds the galaxy and shares a relationship with all things. It obviously shares a relationship with non-organic objects otherwise how could ships be levitated and battle droids be pushed around.

8. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    droids are controlled by the force, and before 99', i might have said yes, but this midiclorien crap rules out mechanic force users.

9. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Objects like stones, droids, machinery, and in ESB an X-Wing, are inanimate objects that can be affected by the Force. I'm assuming the air around the object is manipulated to cause their movement. The Force is an energy field that surrounds everything. While the Force can affect any object, the inanimate object in return cannot manipulate the Force itself because it doesn't contain midichlorians to communicate with the Force.

10. QuiGonJames

Jan 8, 2003

Objects like stones, droids, machinery, and in ESB an X-Wing, are inanimate objects that can be affected by the Force. I'm assuming the air around the object is manipulated to cause their movement. The Force is an energy field that surrounds everything. While the Force can affect any object, the inanimate object in return cannot manipulate the Force itself because it doesn't contain midichlorians to communicate with the Force.

Agree with most of what you said. But I have to go further and take into account that the force contains its own consciousness and enacts its own will. It?s a living presence in all things in existence as well as surrounding them (physical or not. inanimate or not).

Objects like stones, droids, machinery, and in ESB an X-Wing, are inanimate objects that can be affected by the Force

Agreed! But then again, I also am speaking of a droid obtaining ?consciouness? which itself is neither physical or inanimate . If the ?consciouness? question doesn?t enter the picture here, then I am in total agreement with you. But if something like the force can have a consciousness, enacts its own will and have no physical body(no cells, no midis), then where can GL go with this?

11. ivaj

ivaj Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2004
    "Looking at the real world first, many world known physists have contemplated the possibility that the universe exists in a form of cosmic ?order? that is supported by a universal consciousness (or god like presence) in all things."
    This is true, though... its hard to prove right now. Theories have appeared, known as String Theory. Which basically says that inside an atom is a vibrating string. Its quite fascinating stuff.

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    In an upcoming book, the Cestus Deception, force sensetive security droids are intoroduced.

13. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I think it's safe to say that C3P0 felt the Force in ROTJ...

14. QuiGonJames

Jan 8, 2003
    Did he? I can't tell if he did or not. When was this?

15. Jedi_Master_Ev-dog

Jedi_Master_Ev-dog Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    What evidence is there to support the idea that Threepio felt the Force at any point in the SW saga? In RotJ, it was clear he had no idea what was going on when he was levitated off the ground by Luke. And we know that droids, unlike cyborgs, have no organic materials in their composition, so there would be no force receptors within them, no midi-chlorians or whatnot. So I'd say that droids are aware of the Force, but they cannot feel it. And note that I'm basing this claim solely on the content of the movies, not EU material.

16. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    the inanimate object in return cannot manipulate the Force itself because it doesn't contain midichlorians to communicate with the Force.

Midichlorians allow a person to "hear" the "will of the Force".
    The movies don't say that Midichlorians are what a Jedi uses to control the Force. So a droid could use the Force, but be "deaf" to it's voice, I guess.

17. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
  18. QuiGonJames

Jan 8, 2003
    hehehehe DS615!

19. QuiGonJames

Jan 8, 2003

What evidence is there to support the idea that Threepio felt the Force at any point in the SW saga?

Agreed!

In RotJ, it was clear he had no idea what was going on when he was levitated off the ground by Luke.

That actually doesn't prove anything. Focus and awareness is key to the force and threepio makes no effort to be aware.

And we know that droids, unlike cyborgs, have no organic materials in their composition, so there would be no force receptors within them, no midi-chlorians or whatnot.

True, but the force itself has no organic physical part and has no midiclorians and yet it contains a consciousness and a will that it inacts. I covered this early on in this thread.

So I'd say that droids are aware of the Force, but they cannot feel it. And note that I'm basing this claim solely on the content of the movies, not EU material.

Agreed! Same here. But EU is welcomed. We need to keep this in mind though. Thanks for the post by the way.

20. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    What about Skippy the Jedi Droid? I'm sure he felt the Force.

21. MaxReboRules

MaxReboRules Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    With the exception of The Almighty Skippy, I don't think so.

22. SithMemory

SithMemory Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2004
    Who was Skippy the Jedi Droid?

23. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    4-LOM was learning from Zuckuss, the Gand version of the force. It's EU, & in the EU 4-LOM is the only droid that tried using a force, altho he never actually used it in the EU.

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    i remember in the ESB novel artoo was trying to feel the Force on dagobah when yoda was describing it but he couldn't

25. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    No, he was trying to record it with his sensors, and he didn't see anything. I don't think that's the same as "trying to feel".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.