main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Episode III redeem TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ree Yees, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    For me, TPM hasn't aged as the fine wine (see related thread). In fact, it has gotten worse now that the CGI effects are already beginning to look bad. Anyway, there are a number of things in TPM that are left unresolved. Examples include the midichlorians, the japor snippet, freeing the slaves as well as more obvious things like Palpatine/Sidious. If EPISODE III ties TPM together by finishing these elements, will it make TPM look better / Less detached from AOTC? If EPISODE III follows AOTC and feels as detached from TPM as AOTC did, what then? I hope that some "hindsight" in EP3 can make TPM more exciting, but I'm definitely not betting on it.

Locked because the thread was completely hi-jacked. If anyone has any problems with this, please feel free to message me.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

3. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Obviously, I don't think TPM needs "redeeming"!

The japor snippet I would assume will be involved in Episode III, but I doubt it will be anything major. Maybe something we see Padme holding after Anakin "dies"?

I don't think Anakin will be freeing any slaves, but I wouldn't be surprised if the subject of returning to Tatooine arises. Maybe Anakin vows never to return, and that's why they choose the Lars' homestead for Luke? (Of course, there is the theory that he "frees the slaves" in ROTJ...)

I don't understand what's "unresolved" about midichlorians though...

4. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    You think the special effects in Episode I are beginning to show signs of age? I have the opposite viewpoint on that, I still think the effects are impressive to these days. Could you give us some examples where the effects are showing signs of aging?

Anakin Skywalker made a promise to free the slaves in Episode I along with his mother. He failed his promise to his mother where she died on Tatooine, still a slave. Anakin promised he would never fail her again, and he will do that in Episode III. I don't think Episode III needs to redeem Episode I, because I already hold the film in high regards, although I know you don't. The Japor Snippet doesn't really have to be mentioned again, although it would be a suprise for Anakin to find it on her after she dies in his arms. You might laugh at the mention of this, but the twins can be tested for Midichlorians soon after they are born.

5. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>He failed his promise to his mother where she died on Tatooine, still a slave.

"I sold her to a moisture farmer named Lars. I heard he freed her, and married her! Hows about that, eh?"

6. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I know that, but when she is tortured by the Tusken Raiders she is no longer free...

7. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    True... I guess you could get picky and say that he freed her just before she dies in his arms, when he cut her bonds... but I see what you're saying.

8. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    That's alright SomeRandomNerd. :)

9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    If you think it needs redeeming, than episode three cannot redeem it for you. THe midichlorians do not need anymore explaining. THey do not have to be mentioned again. The japor snippet is not important, and the freeing of the slaves does not need to be resolved. He cant free the slaves. That is usually not part of a Jedi's mission. I have noticed that prequel haters get fixated on unimportant things like this, and that is part of the reason they hate the prequels. They give it more importance to the story than it was meant to have. Things like Anakin's ambition to free slaves are only important to his CHARACTER, not the story.

10. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    Did Luke ever go to Tosche station to pick up his power convertors?

8-}

11. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    LOL!! awesome post SOMERANDOMNERD.

12. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    well the film answered the question about the power converters: Uncle Owen made him stay home.

13. Frank_Booth

Frank_Booth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    For me personally, I fear the answer is no. TPM was bad enuf but AOTC was just depressing in it's bad qualities (I won't bore you with details and derail this thread).

I might still watch Episode 3 at some point, but I won't be paying one cent for the "pleasure". :( Prolly DL it or something, and even that only if I hear good things about it from the people whose taste in movies I trust.

14. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    What I mean is that if the various small bits of TPM that haven't been resolved *won't* show up in Ep 3, TPM will not be properly tied with the rest of the trilogy.

Could you give us some examples where the effects are showing signs of aging?

Well, some of them were bad to begin with; like the battle on the Naboo plains (which look quite hokey compared to, say, the battle of Geonosis, which in turns looks quite hokey compared to, say, the Battle of Endor. Most of the Jar Jar animation has already been surpassed; as with Boss Nass (Watto and Sebulba still look good though).

15. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    The only sequence I thought looked fake was that one sequence when the Gungans were walking from the forest out onto the plains. That is the only instance when I got the feeling I was watching a cartoon. Everything besides that looked real.

16. QuiGonJade

QuiGonJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    I view TPM as, well, let's call it a brilliant film saddled with a few embarassing mistakes, whatever that adds up to. And I'm using the word "brilliant" loosely here, what I mean is I love the ******* thing, and I don't like the overly kid-friendly moments. So, in a perfect world where all SW movies go my way, I don't think it needs redeeming so much as a special edition without the jokes and Jar Jar's voice redone (but the character would stay the same, he'd still be a bumbling idiot.)

The japor snippet I never gave a second thought. Freeing the slaves, that's something I think comes up in a vague indirect way in AOTC, as he still thought of his mother as a slave until Watto told him otherwise. It doesn't have to come up in III
    although it could work well if it does. But I think some mention has to be made in III of midis, to only mention them in one movie in the entire saga would hurt the continuity IMO. And Anakin had the most of anyone, somehow you've gotta bring this up around the times that he turns. The return of Qui-Gon could also help TPM, although it's not truly necessary, Qui-Gon will always be important because he started the whole chain of events by freeing Anakin.

Back in 1999 TPM, love it or hate it, often didn't feel like SW. AOTC I think helped TPM feel more like SW, and Episode III I think will do so even more than AOTC did.

So even though I don't think TPM needs redeeming, I still hope Episode III helps it immensely.

I hope that all made sense.

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Ree Yees, some of us don't think TPM needs redeeming.

Let me ignore the veiled TPM bashing inherent in the title of this thread and give my honest opinion: Yes, there are some things that Episode III could do to make TPM better. I would like to see closure on the midichlorians, for one thing -- just let's hear someone mention them again. Same with the prophecy -- AOTC sort of swept that under the rug.

The japor snippet nearly HAS to be in Episode III. I would actually be very surprised if it wasn't in the movie.

The whole "why do some Jedi disappear and others don't" needs to be addressed, but that's not a TPM-exclusive issue (let us not forget that, whatever EU may tell us, we definitely did not see Anakin disappear onscreen in ROTJ).

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Zombie_Monkey

Zombie_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    Episode I doesn't need to be redeemed.

QuiGonJade- Love your sig.

-ZM

19. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Let me ignore the veiled TPM bashing inherent in the title of this thread and give my honest opinion
    Do you call "Can Episode III redeem TPM?" veiled? It's quite obvious, I think :p

20. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    No, ep3 cannot and will not redeem TPM. There are too many things that are not explained as it is that have nothing to do with TPM. TPM is a waste of film. AOTC stinks, but not as bad as TPM. When I watch the entire saga, I will start with AOTC. TPM isnt SW to me.

21. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ROTJ is quite bad too with its ewoks and muppets. You should just see it as a 4 episodes saga, I think.
    Wait ! What if episode 3 is crap too ? Then, I guess you'll just have to see this as a good little trilogy : AOTC, ANH, ESB. ;)

22. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Midichlorians will be brought up in Ep3. They will be used to explain at least a couple mysteries...

23. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I really don't think that TPM needs redeeming, but will Episode III could make it better.

In essence, Episode III should make all the movies 'better' by tying them all together and completing the Saga. :)

-Bjork.

24. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    If you think TPM needs redemption then there's not much chance Episode III is going to change that. In fact, considering that you have failed to enjoy either of the prequels up to this point, your chances of appreciating Episode III are slim to none.

25. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, actually, I think it depends on why exactly you hated TPM. If you thought its ONLY problems were the kiddy elements, such as the fart jokes, Jar Jar, and Anakin's antics, then I think episode 3 can indeed save TPM for you by going on the other side of the spectrum, making episode 3 more of a PG rated horror flick. I have created a thread about this titled "What are the specific ways to make episode 3 the darkest SW movie?" in the episode 3 spoilers forum. Read that if you would like, and see if you like some of the ideas posted in there. I am particularly interested in bashers' opinions about the ideas in that thead.

However, if you had more problems with TPM, such as the story, actors, dialogue, etc., then I am afraid episode 3 cant save it for you. Although I think even bashers will enjoy episode 3 as an individual movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.