main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Episode III redeem TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ree Yees, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son_Of_Kurtzman

Son_Of_Kurtzman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    DrEvazan wrote:

****im perfectly happy with the original OT which i enjoy on multiple formats in my home. as far as i and others like me are concerned, the PT is not even a part of star wars. TPM and AOTC are utterly forgettable. its the silly arguments that defend those films on these boards that i take issue with, along with those who question my fan status and cant stand to engage in open debate.****

Why you've been hanging around on the TPM message board for this long boggles the mind. If it isn't a Star Wars film, quit crying about it and ignore it already. There are plenty of other boards to write about the OT, which is the real Star Wars to you anyway, so take a hike. It seems pointless for you to spent days and hours and years writing about a film that, in your mind, is not a part of the series you are wishing to write about. It doesn't make sense, and furthermore, you and JenX are making utter fools of yourselves, if you intention is to boycott a measly little film. I suggest directing your attentions to world matters that are far more significant, and reduce the level of negativity you continue to endure upon the readers here.

Nah, you know what? Boycott away... it gets all the more pathetic day by day. The criticism was interesting before. Now it's just boring and laughable.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    you are free to leave or ignore us or stop wasting just as much time responding...

none of which you will do, of course, making you the biggest fool of all.

"I don't think this is the place for you, Evazan. You do realize this is a message board dedicated to discussions about Ep3, don't you?"

last i checked this was a STAR WARS forum, and this is the TPM section of said forum. you do realize that dont you?

3. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    It doesn't make sense, and furthermore, you and JenX are making utter fools of yourselves, if you intention is to boycott a measly little film.

Speaking of making an utter fool of yourself, have you noticed that I didn't say anything about boycotting Episode III?

And to continue the theme of making an utter fool of yourself...

I suggest directing your attentions to world matters that are far more significant, and reduce the level of negativity you continue to endure upon the readers here.

I think you mean 'inflict' rather then endure. And if our negativity is annoying you, why don't you take your own advice? "Quit crying about it and ignore it already."

[face_laugh]

Also, if you are so interested in world matters, why are you spending your time on a Star Wars message board telling other people not to waste their time on a Star Wars message board?

Nah, you know what? Flame away... it gets all the more pathetic day by day. The criticism was interesting before. Now it's just boring and laughable.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

4. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    missed one...

"i have no interest whatsoever in episode III"

"You've posted in the Episode III forum."

i have? maybe once? it was probably before i realized "oh yeah, who cares about episode III after what happened with I and II"

"And you must care about Obi-Wan and Anakin and Yoda and the droids a bit, if you watch them in the OT."

i still care about THOSE characters... not the cheap imitations of them in the PT.

5. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Memo to bashers:

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK!

That is all. :D

6. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    as far as i and others like me are concerned, the PT is not even a part of star wars.

Whatever you say, champ. [face_laugh]

7. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Nothing can redeem TPM, the Jar Jar experiment failed, the Lightsabre fights will always be missing their extra scenes, the performances will always be bad, the space battle will always suck and no matter how many times you watch it it will always seem like a missed oppotunity to kick start the saga and show the Jedi and the Republic in their prime before showing them both as a failing ideal.

All Ep3 can do is work hard to make the bridge from PT to OT look feasable and actually work. Atthe moment I still wonder how they are going to explain the considerable drop in technology from the PT to the OT in such basics like computer displays and holograms. I mean, R2's projection of the Naboo palace assualt in 3D and the visual displays on the Queens ship and Naboo fighters are far superior to that overly basic wire frame of the Death Star that the Xwing pilots studied their attack on, or the triangles and Squares in the Millenium Falcon's quad-gun display.

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I mean really, after the last two films why would any of you expect episode III to be any good?"

Because in my opinion Episode I and II are fine additions to the Star Wars Sega. Just because you don't like the Prequels so far doesn't mean everyone will bow down to your opinion. People have free will. Free will to like, dislike, hate or love the Prequels.

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Personally, I fully anticipate enjoying Episode III as much as I've enjoy every other STAR WARS movie. I often wonder what the naysayers get out of refusing to enjoy something they claim to like. Whatever it is, it sucks to be them.

10. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    The "Naysayers" as you call them get to see if there are any others who originally loved the old SW as much as them, are feeling similar dissapointment in the same things they do about the new SW.

Loving everything about SW as it grows isn't a pre-requistte to being a fan. Admittedly these films can grow to be so bad that one would be ashamed to call one self still a fan but at the moment it's only those who really care who would feel bothered enough to voice their opinions about it so long after its release whether good or bad; dont'cha think?

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Evazan:
    i have? maybe once? it was probably before i realized "oh yeah, who cares about episode III after what happened with I and II"

You've posted there at least six times, one of which was just last month. And if you didn't care about the movie, you wouldn't be visiting that forum at all.

as far as i and others like me are concerned, the PT is not even a part of star wars.

Whoever came up with this gem... then just IGNORE IT, forget it exists, move on. Lots of Star Wars fans refuse to read the EU--some even declare that it shouldn't even count as Star Wars.

You don't see them visiting the EU sections of the boards very often.

EDIT:
    the Jar Jar experiment failed

If it had really failed, we wouldn't have a CGI Gollum in T2T. Clearly SOMEONE decided Lucas and ILM were doing something right.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    This is pretty funny. Because a few people whine about how they didn't like TPM, EpIII now somehow has to redeem it? This is too rich. There's nothing to redeem. TPM may not be a perfect film, but it is still pretty damn good. Far more entertaining than the other movies that were offered to us in 1999, that's for sure. There's really nothing that needs to be redeemed in TPM. Sure, there are a few small things that aren't great, but those types of things exist in all FIVE of the films.

But just because someone doesn't like all five films doesn't mean they aren't a Star Wars fan. Although it does seem a little odd when people say they hate the PT and then post almost exclusively in PT forums. I'm not saying they don't have the right to, since obviously they do, but if I didn't like the prequels, I would probably avoid the boards dedicated to them.

i have no interest whatsoever in episode III, considering i could care less what happens to these completely unintersting characters and their entirely unengaging predicaments.

This is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. If you do not care about these characters or stories in any way, then why spend most of your time on these boards in the forums dedicated to them? That makes absolutely no sense.

Oh, and by the way:

and Durwood, do you even have the ability to post without being snide, condescending or dismissive of the opinions of those who you dont agree with? if not then i dont think this is the place for you.

Three words: POT, KETTLE, BLACK. You really should take a look at your own posts before making statements like that.

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Let's get back on topic, instead of discussing individual posters, hmm?

14. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    You know this is pretty depressing reading this thread now (ok typical question: "Why did you read it?" :p ).

Can we stop this arguing please? Those disappointed with the PT so far can have their opinion. I personally don't agree with their thoughts but they are allowed their own opinions.
    And its right that they voice their opinion in this forum if they were disappointed with something.
    Though I would ask that there isn't so much negativity, it does bog down this place and ruin constructive discussion.

As I said before TPM, IMHO, doesn't need to be redeemed. It's a good beginning and a nice contrasting to the later films where events go badly. We get to see the Jedi in their prime, the Republic is alive but is rotting because of the corruption, we see Luke & Leia's mother and we get to see a young Anakin.

Episode 3 can only make TPM better, to me anyway. And I certainly look forward to EP3 :)

Ceejay:
    it will always seem like a missed oppotunity to kick start the saga and show the Jedi and the Republic in their prime before showing them both as a failing ideal.

Sorry but didn't we get that in TPM? Whats so different from what Lucas gave us in TPM to what you are talking about there? ?[face_plain]

15. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    JKBurtola - What we got with TPM was a Republic already riddled in corruption and failing in diplomacy, we also got a Jedi order that was already on the decline, unaware of the manipulations of the darkside, oblivious to or innefective against obvious needs of the worlds portrayed in the film such as the slavery on Tattooine or the corruption in the Republic.

In order for the PTto get off to a decent start, it would have helped to introduced the audience to a time when the Republic and the Jedi were effective so thatwhen it begins to fall apart the audience actually care! Nobody really does after watching these films, the Jedi come off as pompus and lazy after TPM and the Republic as ineffective as a water pistol in a nuclear war!

Are we really meant to feel sorry that the sepratist are leaving, who wouldn't want a better and more effective organisation than the one we were introduced to that couldn't decide wether or not to help a planet being invaded by droids despite the QUEEN of thatplanet begging for it in person and TWO Jedi's returning with her to back up her claim, or while the so called Guardians of justice sit around in a circle debating if they should teach a kid hw to use his gifts.

If that's the republic and the Jedi in their prime then SW world sucks!

16. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Nobody really does after watching these films, the Jedi come off as pompus and lazy after TPM and the Republic as ineffective as a water pistol in a nuclear war!

Speak for yourself thanks [face_plain]

I actually care about the Republic and the Jedi, you may not but you have no proof to suggets that "nobdy" cares thanks.

17. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    A huge drop in audience attendance at the box office suggest otherwise, thanks! Not to mention the biggest thread on the JC bashing these films. :D

18. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Why the smiley face for? Hating these films should not make you happy. If it does, your opinion was already made before watching Episode I at the cinema...

19. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    A huge drop in audience attendance at the box office suggest otherwise, thanks!

I would say that 300+ million in box office suggests the idea that nobody cares is just a bit absurd.

Not to mention the biggest thread on the JC bashing these films.

That isn't proof that nobody cares. That is proof that a few loudmouthed malcontents don't care. There's a big difference.

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, this thread is going nowhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.