main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Can Gay Actors Play Straight Characters?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Oct 3, 2013.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    This is a good point, look at Russel Brand. He is often very camp and effeminate and I know people who assumed he was gay when they first saw him doing his stand-up on TV, but we know now he is very much a heterosexual man (at least at the moment :p ) because of his sex therapy treatments and known relationshiops. It's all very confusing these days.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Aytee-Aytee, ophelia, tom and 2 others like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    John Malkovich ruined Dangerous Liaisons. The entire running time I'm wondering why this gay man is sleeping with all those women.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Also Kevin Spacey. Watching a gay man trying to decide whether to bed a teenage girl is a complete turn off.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Does this mean Sylvester Stallone is gay? So he really loves Jason Statham in The Expendables much like Keanu Reeves loves Patrick Swayze in Point Break?

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know about Stallone. The sun has baked too deeply into his craggy, leathery skin for me to tell. But Jason Statham is of course gay.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well of course Jason is gay. Because in the Crank movies he could've easily cured himself from his poison and get it on with his girlfriend, but he chose to jump out of a helicopter in the first one and burn alive in the second movie.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    An entire thread without a single mention of John Barrowman?

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It was tempting, but I thought Rock Hudson alone would obliterate Jabba's argument about gays not being able to play straight guys convincingly.

Miana Kenobi and Obi-Zahn Kenobi like this.
  10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Jabba I'm not really sure how serious you're being but this is basically confirmation bias dude. Plus if someone's your friend you're going to be getting a lot more than just mannerisms and such to cue you in-- there's probably tons of context clues that you picked up along the way to help you along.

(that said Dr Tam was pretty gay)

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Also, why are they dressed like they're in the seventeeth century or something. It's a movie; John Malkovich is alive now. It's clearly the present. Why is this guy who's alive pretending to be someone that is actually dead?

And as to the Kevin Spacey thing, you're totally right. Knowing he's gay ruined the experience of him pretending to be straight. And that wasn't his real daughter either; once you know that, the whole movie falls apart.

Frankly, the whole gay/straight thing is just the tip of the iceberg. Movies are full of things that aren't accurate. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. From now on I want people to only be able to play themselves in movies. Anything else is just so obviously fake.