main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Can Good Things Happen at Work? Of Course! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthHaskett, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    LOL, exactly, that's true actually. I guarantee he sold everything at a massive discount, I mean there's no way he realized that was a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro, he could have gotten $3,000 for that computer even used. I bet he sold it for $1,000, if that.

I would imagine he didn't get more than $5,000 to $6,000 out of everything he sold. And oddly enough he left $3,000 in speakers, a 5-DVD changer / receiver, three external hard drives, and a $200 Logitech laser mouse. What an idiot.

2. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Yeah he's Mexican so he can't know what he stole from you, Mac-boy. :rolleyes: *If* he's guilty of your charges. Sheesh...I don't even know where to begin with your post. But even I'd leave that crap Logitech mouse...Logitech! Harharhar.

3. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    So if it's all insured, why didn't you just take the rest? That DVD player would have made a good trivia contest prize. :p

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    First off, the fact that he was Mexican has nothing to do with him not knowing about the computer, you jump to conclusions when you obviously know nothing about the case, so ask questions instead how about? He left the AC adapter, for one, anyone with a brain would know to take that, but this guy was really freakin' stupid. Second, he stole USB cables to the external hard drives that are worth like $4 each, but left two 500 gig externals and a 1 terrabyte, all Western Digital, that's at least $500 in hard drives even if you sold at discount, new those are $750 or so. It was pretty obvious by the way that he stole the goods he already had a buyer for everything, because he had been casing the place just by walking by the hallway over and over, popping in the room every once in a while to say hi supposedly, or to pretend he was looking at the Internet connection that was setup in my office. You're not going to get full price off a hot laptop anyway, but especially if you don't know it's fully loaded. Just because it's 17" doesn't mean it has the specs that one did, so I doubt he got what he should have for it.

And it's not a matter of IF he did it, he did it. There were four people who had key access to that room and only three who had access to the other office, but more so than that, since stuff was missing in another company's office located in the same general office area (we all rent from a mortgage company), only ONE person has keys to all of those rooms, and that's our landlord, who leaves his keys on his desk every night. He told us he left those keys the night the stuff was stolen, too, and he was letting this dude sleep in his room because he trusted him, apparently, and that means it was either the guy sleeping there or the landlord. Now would a 60-year-old guy who owns a mortgage company with four offices in the L.A. area and drives a Mercedes steal $15,000 in stuff from his own office area, or would it be the poor Mexican dude who was working odd jobs to make a few bucks? On those facts alone you know there's a 90% chance it's the Mexican dude (I don't know his name so that's why I say that, if I knew his name I'd just use his name). But then you combine that with the fact that he didn't show up for work ALL WEEK, wasn't accessible by cell phone, missed planned meetings that he attends out of work hours (our landlord knows where those meetings are and went to check), and his friends all say they haven't seen or heard from him since last weekend, hmmmmmmm, I WONDER who could have stolen the stuff? If you can't figure out an equation that simple you have to have an IQ below 50. It's not even that he's a strong suspect, he's 100% guilty. The Burbank Police Department has concluded the same thing, in fact, and they are aware of all the facts of the case now.

I don't know why me mentioning he was Mexican somehow has anything to do with him individually not knowing much about the price of our equipment. I wouldn't know that either unless I specifically purchased those goods, that's the only reason I know what the stuff costs. I will say that in the last six months I have been robbed by one Mexican, assaulted by another Mexican and filed a police report, and my credit card information was stolen by another Mexican in Mexico on vacation. So you could say I haven't had the best luck with Mexicans in the last six months. That being said, my best friend in Los Angeles when I lived here originally was Mexican, I know many great Mexican people IN Mexico where my dad owns a house, and I never discriminate against a group of people because the actions of a few people -- that is the dark side!

5. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    So how do you know it wasn't like, members of the former KGB, and they were staking your place out and the Mexican guy tried to fight them off and stop them and managed to get there in time before they stole those seven hundred dollar ($300 at frys) external hard drives, and bad things happened to the Mexican and he is actually a hero?

Maybe he wasn't Mexican at all but part of Mosad sent there by Olmert to foil their plans.

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    haha, they aren't $300 anywhere. They're about $700 total, that's $150 per 500 gig drive and $400 for the 1 terrabyte drive. You might be able to get them for $600 all together. Might. But you can't get even a 1 terrabyte drive for $300, not an external. Internals are cheap, I just got two 750 gig Western Digital internals for $180/each from New Egg like a month ago.

I like your alternate version, haha, but it's about as likely as snow in July.

7. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Snow in July where?

8. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I'll bet Chuck Barris had something to do with this insideous plot. [face_thinking]

9. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I got off work early today. That was good.

And tuesday I train at Star Tours. That is excellent. I will have pics of me in the orange flight suit.

10. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Don't believe me go to frys.com

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I just did. And you're still wrong. A 1 TB internal is $265 at Fry's. I don't have an internal 1 TB. It was a Pro Edition II external firewire drive, that's a lot more valuable than a 1 TB internal drive. Everyone who uses computers knows that internals are cheap compared to externals. As I said I got two WD 750 gig drives internal for $180 each, that's really cheap, but $180 for an external will only get you a 500 gig drive. That's just how it works. Also the price difference between a 500 gig external and a 1 TB external is usually not just 2 to 1, unfortunately. I think we paid $175 for the 500 gig externals, they're probably like $145 now or something I'm not sure, but $400 for the 1 TB drive. So that was a bit overpriced but I wanted to fit 800 gigs of data on it (three stock footage libraries), so it made sense for logistical reasons and the transfer speed was faster than the USB 2.0 drives.

EDIT: Actually Frys.com has 500 gig externals for $170 still, that's about what I paid, but theirs are Maxtor and I have a higher opinion of convicted felons than I do of Maxtor, which is the worst hard drive company imaginable. I love Apple, but they were sticking those pieces of junk in their computers and I've had two of them fail on me, they are just awful, awful hard drives. I yanked both of them out of my Mac and put in two Western Digitals. I have one WD drive that's 8 years old and it still works perfectly, haha, but Maxtor so far I'm about 2 for 4 as far as them working, and both that failed did so within 2 years, one in just 7 months, the other in about 20 months. That one didn't totally fail, however, it still let me use it for the most part up until about the 30 month mark, when it did totally fail. For 10 months it just had a lot of bad sectors so I was using it as the backup internal drive to store stuff I didn't care about on, until it wouldn't work at all, haha. Luckily I could still pull data off it using Disk Warrior.

Anyway I trust WD, if they sold everything at a 25% markup from every other brand I'd still pay it in a second. I think I've had 9 WD drives over the years and 0 failed. I've had 3 total hard drives fail on me, the one that wasn't Maxtor I have no idea what it was, it could have been Maxtor I guess, but it was in a Dell computer and I never bothered looking at what it was.

ANYWAY, on the plus side we have dealt with all of the insurance paperwork and figured out the exact dollar amounts, gotten all of the receipts, and the office as of Monday was 100% restored. Actually maybe 105% restored because the new MacBook Pro I bought is better than the one that got stolen, 2.6 Ghz vs. 2.4, 1920 x 1200 screen resolution instead of 1600 x 1020 or whatever it was, and a 200 gig 7200 RPM drive instead of a 160, which makes a huge difference. In fact as far as usable free space after program installation that's 100 gigs free instead of just 60, almost twice as much for us to use to edit the current project before dumping it to the backup HDs. We also finally had office signs made, and got big magnets for my business partner's Hummer, so now it's an advertising vehicle too, hehe. I got a few more necessary filmmaking items today, some dimmers, 20 amp extension cords, and this awesome big case that was $269 instead of $750, which was a highlight of the day and fits under "good things can happen at work," haha.

12. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I think the subject is exhausted. Moving ON...

Today I take my test to pass Star Tours. Excited I am.

13. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Seriously, isn't this about GOOD things that happen at work? Since when is being robbed at work a good thing?

Good luck, APL!

14. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    One of my bosses asked for written directions from the elevators to a room # I didn't know. When I found the room, it turned out it was close to my friend Joyce, who I never get to visit with. So, I got to visit with my friend. That was nice.

15. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    on an equally exciting topic...

I ran out of half and half today for my coffee. I hope I can recover from this tragedy.

Maybe Fry's down the street sales it?

16. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    The following message is posted in the same good fun as the last:

Yeah, but it's not "exciting" things that happen at work. It's "nice" things. Besides, DB, you don't know my friend Joyce. Maybe she's a very exciting person. Maybe she's a trapeze artist or NASCAR driver in her spare time.

I don't think running out of half and half is nice. I think it's really unnerving! (Oh our poor Bubba!!! sob! sob!) Well, maybe not so much if you've got coffee mate or milk. Then it's still not nice to run our of half and half, but it is nice that you've got something else to take its place. Even worse is running out of coffee and not being able to buy or freeload someone else's.

Remind me to buy coffee tonight, please.

17. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Today a co-worker gave me a cool mechanical pencil. It's called "The Shaker" and it's by Pilot. A high school friend of mine and I used to use them exclusively. I love this pencil. I offered to pay but he refused to accept American money for it. I feel bad and he would not tell me how many pesos it costed. Any way, I really like the pencil and it's cool.

18. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I got a new computer at work. It's pretty fast, but my "old" one was maybe a year and a half old, so it really wasn't old. The two guys next to me have had their computers for 6 or 7 years. I guess I'm lucky.

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    That's funny because JR was complaining earlier about having to fix the settings on his new computer to match his old one. Stupid JR.

Today I went to the Board to answer any possible questions for the award of a project. I was set then the same stupid guy who freaked me out last time when he mentioned that the Board wanted reports now came and freaked me out AGAIN. This time I felt more prepared. Well, they bring up my item and the President asks if anyone has any questions or if they want a report from staff (me). One of the Commissioners starts saying, "I have" which in my little mind ended with "a question" but ended up being "been briefed on this matter and am satisfied". So she moved for acceptance and it was "so move". I bolted out of there so quickly someone watching me would have gotten whiplash. Yeah!

20. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    I may be wrong but you're missing the point.

No one here cares about your hard drives or how much they cost.

21. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    JT - you must have missed the part about the business partner's Hummer. Don't you care about that?

And I'm still worried about VK2's colleague who needed directions from the elevator...what's up with that?

THE WORLD HAS GONE INSANE!!!

22. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I have all you people beat. Thursday I hung out on the set of Deal or No Deal. It was fun.

23. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    APL, how did it go??!?!?![face_praying]

24. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    No, actually, the directions weren't for people who work here. And it's a big building. Plus, no one uses the actual room numbers on a day to day basis. For instance, I wouldn't refer to the conference room in my area as room 163, I'd call it "The conference room where Mary sits," or "at the northeast corner of the building." Come visit & it'll make a lot more sense. (Don't worry, I'll give you directions from the elevator.)

25. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I don't agree with the title of this thread anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.