main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can HE still be alive??? ((Dark Journey SPOILERS!))

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LanceJade, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    jade_angel...
    "umm don't you think Jaina would have at least taken her brother out of it before burning him?"

My honest opinion - unfortunately not. Star Wars characters have often been duped in the past. Enter Obi-Wan actor from comic strip. Enter "good Jedi" Joruus, the insane Dark Jedi clone trying to corrupt Luke. Enter Akanah, Luke's supposed mom. Enter Thrawn actor from HoT. Enter Corran's death. Enter Luke's death.

In fact, if you combine death and misdirection, then chances are 100% of all Star Wars characters will fall for the switcharoo.

One of the clear constants of Star Wars characters is they're all easily duped, no matter how transparent the "clone" is in reality.

You have Luke or Lando show up and check the body and Anakin's clone would be burned within minutes. [face_plain]

No, getting back to the question - no, I don't have much faith Jaina would see through anything. This is the EU we're talking about. Characters have a history of not being able to see through things.

2. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Lol, very true, Genghis. I think they do that not only so that the plot won't be discovered so quickly, for the suspense, and also because they're very determined to show that the Jedi are still human and make mistakes. That was one of Lucas's themes in SW with Anakin Skywalker -- powerful, but the darker of his human nature got the better of him. It's the struggle of good vs. evil in oneself. Here, it can be seen as perceptivity vs. overlooking things. Human confidence tends to make one sure of things without solid proof... I still believe he's coming back ;)

3. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I loved Anakin's character, I really do. But I'm convinced now that he's dead. It would be incredibly tacky if they brought him back. Closure people ;)

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ghengis12 has an excellent theory on the workings of Anakin's 'death' and his eventual return. PM him if you want it, buit don't swamp the poor overworked genius, people. I'll try and get him to post it here if I can.

5. JediMasterKypDurron

JediMasterKypDurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    Another weird theory is that DelRey or any company for that matter really can't afford to run off paying customers. Through the death of Chewbacca and Anakin they have done exactly that. Many, many fans have left and others no longer buy the books but wait and get them at the library. Soooo I would think that DelRey may have something planned that would be desinged to bring back at least some of those paying customers that they have lost. Wheter it is the return of Anakin who knows? But I think it would stand to reason that they wouldn't drive off so many fans if they didn't have an idea that they would eventually get some of them back. At least that's how I would do it. Who knows maybe there megarich and don't care how many fans they lose.

I did see on StarWars.com that they had a major idea planned out for a specific character and Lucas told them no, they had to use a different character for that plan. I wonder what that plan could have been? Could it maybe have had to do with killing a character and bringing him back? You never know...:)

6. MastersLittlePet

MastersLittlePet Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2002
    Oooooh! I hate this! Wasn't Chewie enough? :mad:
    When I first read of Anakin's death scene in SBS, I kept reading for him to be saved, rescued or...something. :(
    Chewie was like 200 and some change. Anakin was 17. yes, people in reality die young all the time. But that's what fantasy is about. Real at times, yes. But this is the son of Han and Liea. [face_plain]
    There's some cold hearts out there. :p
    I truely hope that, someow, Anakin is still alive...ALIVE...not blue and floaty. :D

7. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    You know I've noticed that too. How can some of the people on this forum be so cold hearted? Even about a fictional character. "Burn baby burn"? Ouch.

JMA

8. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Face it, some people have no faith. Untill HC#5 comes out, I will still hold on to the idea of Anakin coming back.

9. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    LOL, rally together, everyone! ;)

10. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I'm with you Nitro29 [face_shocked] :p Until the end of the NJO I'll still have faith. :D
    After that I'll have to rethink about it . Maybe only a 90% chance of coming back then. :D :p (LOL)

11. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    You people are too frickin optimistic. But I suppose it is sometimes best to see hope where there appears to be none. You have reinspired a formerly lost confidence in me.

That is, the hope and belief that Anakin might yet return.

You have my lightsaber.

Funny, many of the people who profess their happiness at Anakin's "demise" remind me of the Jedi of DT who are jealous of Anakin's power. Their sole reason for disliking him is that he is "too good."

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have to say... my hope level has officially risen back up from the <10% area to the at least 50% area...

As for whether a certain character is really dead, all I can say is that I wasn't trying to be vague or clever when I wrote "By then, Anakin was gone." Beyond that, you'll just have to wait and see what happens in the rest of the series, I'm afraid <g>. -- Troy Denning, Cryptic Genius.

13. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Optimism goes a long way man. I mean people have been turned off by NJO because nothing really good has come out of it.......so far. I keep reading because I know, the tide will EVENTUALLY turn. Knowing that is enough to have me pick up the book and keep on reading.

14. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Actually the reason why I dislike Anakin is because he hasn't shown or done anything to me that seems worthy of my admiration. Sure, he's saved a lot of people and a few planets and have been combating evil since he was an infant, but that's not very impressive to me. That's been done before and Anakin throughout the EU just never did anything that was outstanding and then there were people going around, gushing about him. I did try and give him a chance, but I'm just not very open when I decide which character is actually worthy of being obsessed over. As people had pointed out, he's the next Luke Skyawlker, but we already have a Luke. I compare the two and I just don't see the connection.

Anyway, just worthless blather... but Genghis, you've got a point about the ol' switcheroo. And someone mentioned about Anakin still being alive in the husk, to misquote a line from friends, "Then cremating him wasn't a very good idea." :p

15. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    You all miss the point. If only ONE of them had to die, It would have had to be ANAKIN, If either JACEN or JAINA had died it would have disrupted the Great Dance thingamy of the Vong and they didn't want that and if they did have it, well the NR should win very quickly and not lose Coruscant etc etc So we can't really say that Jacen or Jaina should have died without considering the full ramifications of ONE of them dying

16. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    You have a point with the twins, but I don't think any of the Solos should have died. Chewie was bad enough, and Anakin was a great character with a lot of potential. I have theories about Anakin coming back, but oh well.

Genghis, post your theory here! I'd like to read it :)

17. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "Sure he saved a lot of people and a few planets and have been combating evil since he was an infant, but that's not very impressive to me. That's been done before and Anakin throughout the EU just never did anything that was outstanding"

That doesn't impress you?! You act like it happens everyday. Soldiers risk their lives everyday, but because it happens so often, it doesn't deserve our respect? A secret service agent dies protecting the president, and you're not impressed because its "been done before?" Like Anakin or not, you've got to respect all that he's accomplished in his short life. If "saving alot of people and a few planet" doesn't impress you, what does? What meets your superior standards? What else could he possibly do?

18. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    "As people had pointed out, he's the next Luke Skyawlker, but we already have a Luke. I compare the two and I just don't see the connection. "

Leaving aside public reaction inside the GFFA, I don't think Anakin is anything like Luke Skywalker.

What Anakin does hasn't been done before because of where his power lies.

Luke was born a mediator. Since the OT his character has concentrated more on resolving conflict and following the will of the force.

Anakin is nothing like that. He seems to me the purest form of a warrior-jedi. He fights with extraordinary power, yes, but his philosophy and view of the force don't even resemble Lukes.

If anything, Jacen is the next Luke Skywalker. He mediates and meditates and constantly reminds everyone around him that bloodshed is not the answer.

If we are to compare him, Anakin Solo reminds me more of what Anakin Skywalker could have been than what Luke Skywalker already has been.

By the way, why does the wayt the Jedi live and die now have anything to do with the Vongs' religious views? The whole idea of twins killing each other is going to end up wrong, anyway. Why drag it out?

19. Grand_Admiral_Xian

Grand_Admiral_Xian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2001
    I'm with Tahiri on this one... Anakin Skywalker is not done yet...

20. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    It is interesting to note that Anakin is the only dead person to be in a husk. Perhaps the husk is what the Vong use to grow clones and the body in the husk was Anakin's clone and they were going to use the blood and body parts from the other dead that they appeared to be sacrificing as some sort of finishing touches to the cloning process.

Well, it's a thought. Maybe not a very good one. He's probably dead.

21. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "Perhaps the husk is what the Vong use to grow clones and the body in the husk was Anakin's clone and they were going to use the blood and body parts from the other dead that they appeared to be sacrificing as some sort of finishing touches to the cloning process"

A good thought. It wouldn't even have to be a clone really, it could be a "m-anakin" (sorry for that bad pun). If Jaina or the other mourners did just a casual inspection (i.e. checked for a pulse, etc.), could they tell the difference between a dead body and some kind of "biological statue that looked like Anakin?"

22. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    Yea, the theory that they retreive a clone is quite interesting and I hope that something else is still hiden from us :mad:, because I think that the main point in the disscusion of Anakin's death is that there are to many things unclosed, I mean first is the prophecy, the relationship with Tahiri[face_love], and the relationship that was created between the reader and the characer.

And also I read an interview with the author of Edge of Victory (I forgot his name) 8-} in wich he said that there was a way around so the Jedi would start feeling the Vong trhough the force, so I think hes coming back!!!

And with his cremation a lot of theories went up the drain, nevertheless I still have hope and the only logical way that I can see of jania coming back to the ligh is with the help of Anakin, so I think that there is still a chance that the Vong really have Anakin captive and everybody think that he is death.

So in short I beleive Anakin is coming back, and I want to see his relationship with Tahiri(they do make a good couple) :)

23. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    I really don't know why, it seems so hopeless, but I get this feeling that the authors have this great idea and they're just messing with our heads to make us think he's dead... If not...oh well, there goes Anakin... :_|

24. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    I really hope that the authors do have something because I woudn´t like if it wasn't :mad: Tahiri

But if its all over I'll miss you Anakin :_|

Oh man I was really lookin forward the relationship between Tahiri and aAnakin grow, and nonetheless I still do 8-}

25. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    To the person who said that Anakin "hasn't done anything to deserve admiration":

Ummm... let's see. He's the only Jedi to ever join forces with a former Vong Warrior, he's the only Jedi who's ever felt the Vong through the Force (No, not just through the lambent, during his "death" scene in SbS he could feel them), he *was* the Force, he has the most Force potential in his generation...
    What more is there to admire?
    There's a whole lot of "only"s "best"s and "most"s to Anakin's character. What more can someone want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.