main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can HE still be alive??? ((Dark Journey SPOILERS!))

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LanceJade, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    I completely agree with you Jedi_Anakin_Solo, 'cause even if Anakin hasn't been in Rouge squadron like Jania he's been doing a lot more important things than even Kyp with all of his useless 12, and beside Anakin was the one who saved all the jedi aprentices on Yavin with minimal help from everyone else, and is the first to try to understand why the Vong do the things they do and still realize that they are on the dark side

2. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    He's dead and that's finall, accourding to the spoilers.

3. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Maybe the husk was the Vong's way of protecting themselves from a Jedi and his/her's power. maybe they cant quite tell if he is alive or not. meh, my 2 cents. :)

4. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Look, he's DEAD. I'm sorry. :p

I might send flowers, but thats the best you're gonna get.

5. Master-Anakin-Solo

Jan 18, 2002
    He maybe dead but since hope is the last thing to die

I really think that he will be back, and I won't lose the hope until NJO finishes [face_devil]

6. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Lol, I'm not even going to lose hope if NJO ends w/o him coming back.
    And all of the people that keep saying "he's dead," that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but there's no law (writen or otherwise) that says I have to agree with you, so I won't.

7. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Hmmm, Anakin Solo fans are always so happy to jump into a debate with considering what the other person posted. Well ok, I'm being unfair, since there are some AS fans out there who actually post a good debate that deserves to be acknowledged. (Ducks from the flaming tomatoes that are chucked at her)

Face Loran:That doesn't impress you?! You act like it happens everyday. Soldiers risk their lives everyday, but because it happens so often, it doesn't deserve our respect? A secret service agent dies protecting the president, and you're not impressed because its "been done before?" Like Anakin or not, you've got to respect all that he's accomplished in his short life. If "saving alot of people and a few planet" doesn't impress you, what does? What meets your superior standards? What else could he possibly do?

I'm a harsh critic of characters and I don't have to like a character that everyone else seems to just gush about. Of course I respect soldiers but to a certain extent. In truth, I don't really give much about war, but they do risk their lives and I'll give them and Anakin that much. Yet let me point out that I was speaking of Anakin in a literary sense, he's a fictional character and thus a fictional character must do something to get the reader's attention. He hasn't done anything of that yet, why should I like Anakin, a very powerful Jedi Knight, when there are others out there who risk their lives without the Force? People adore him because he's powerful and I guess who ever posted it before was right, he's too powerful for me to be impressed by. He really doesn't seem to put much of a struggle except in SBS when I actually started liking him.

So what does it take for him to actually to meet up to my so-called 'superior standards'? How about giving him a few more flaws than those faux flaws that he has? Or how about a flaw that's better than him just being rash? That's a very repititive theme.

Now, Risste had a point, I've always seen Jacen as the next Luke, not Anakin. I've always thought of AS to be more like his grandfather, heedless and risking his life and the lives of others for what he thinks is right. There's nothing wrong in that, but that's not very Luke-ish.

JAS:Ummm... let's see. He's the only Jedi to ever join forces with a former Vong Warrior, he's the only Jedi who's ever felt the Vong through the Force (No, not just through the lambent, during his "death" scene in SbS he could feel them), he *was* the Force, he has the most Force potential in his generation...
    What more is there to admire?
    There's a whole lot of "only"s "best"s and "most"s to Anakin's character. What more can someone want?

So I should admire him because he's all powerful? Sorry but that just makes me think of a Marty Sue... he's the only one that has this and this, and he has that and that, not very impressive [face_plain] Especially since Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One and he was the most powerful Jedi in his generation, and it's a debatable point, but perhaps even Luke. (He was the only Jedi left in ROTJ so DUH)

In conclusion: I still don't like Anakin Solo.

So what does that mean?

Well who cares? It's my opinion, no needs to get all jumpy here and then start whining and showing me all of the points about why Anakin Solo is so good, but being good really doesn't matter to me. It's the character itself and there's no changing my mind unless I do it myself. So here's a little piece of advice, just leave it be.

8. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    No one ever said you had to like him, I just didn't agree with the part that said he's done "nothing to deserve admiration."
    That's basically like saying every AS fan is an idiot who likes a useless character.

"Hmmm, Anakin Solo fans are always so happy to jump into a debate"

That would be a stereotype. Brought on by an irrationality. There really isn't *any* correlation between who someone is a fan of and whether or not they participate in debates.
    I know plenty of Kyp Durron, Jacen Solo, Luke, and Mara fans that will jump into debates. Why do AS fans have to be singled out? Because it suits your purposes?
    You see criticizing a person you've never met, and not their words, would be a flame. I certainly hope that was not intentional.

9. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    I'm not getting into anymore debates trying to convince someone to like Anakin anymore ^^() everyone's entitled to their own opinion, no matter how much I may disagree with it.

Anyway, I won't lose hope until I see a need for it. And one day, if I ever get lucky enough to write an EU book.... *sigh*

10. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Ah JAS, you're just living up to my stereotype if you'll note the other sentences after that line... Unless of course you didn't bother to read them because you just wanted to get into a nice little debate.

11. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    This is a little off-topic, but what exactly "killed" Anakin?(I'll use "killed" very losely for the sake of this thread) Did die because of the detenator explosion, or because of his internal bleeding?

12. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    It never actually said what "killed" him.
    Good question though.

And jade_angle, I am not looking for a debate. And yes, I did read what you said after that statement, but that doesn't make one difference. Just because you said that statement was probably unfair doesn't erase it.
    How exactly was I "living up to your stereotype?" I don't want a @#$% debate, I just get stereotyped enough in real life, and don't feel like living with it here.

13. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    i think it was a combination of those two things (maybe more) that killed him, though JAS is right, it didn't actually say. i guess they thought it would be more dramatic or something without giving us a specific reason.

and tahiri, i understand exactly how you feel about about getting into debates tryng to convince other people to like anakin. i don't do much debating myself, but i've run into a lot of them in tons of threads. it's a hopeless cause; some people will always love him, and others will always hate him.

14. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    I agree, Lady_Tahiri...if they firmly believe something, you're not exactly going to do anything but aggravate them >.<

I think Anakin's death had much more to do with his internal bleeding than anything else. If he wasn't in pain like that, he could have kept fighting a bit longer, I think...

15. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    It's interesting to see people on this forums reaction to Anikan's death. It's alot like in real life when someone dies and you can't accept that they're gone for awhile. But then you get used to the fact and learn to live with it.

This reaffirms my belief that Troy Denning is a masterful writer who is great at what he does. Making people really feel for the characters in his books.

16. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    yes, troy denning definitely is a great writer. though i think making people feel for anakin started a long time before SbS, he still did a very good job with his death and everything. :_| at least, i didn't feel cheated about how my favorite character died ... just the fact that he died, but that's a different story.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's always been my speculation that the thermal detonator never went off -- because Anakin had a body to rescue and Nom Anor was still alive later. Based upon previous discussion in that book, it was said that a thermal detonator was good because it incinerated everything within its blast radius and left everything outside of it intact. I think the radius is 30m. But whatever the radius is, it would have been plenty to get everyone in that room had it gone off, hence my thinking that it didn't. So, the long answer is, I don't think the thermal detonator "killed" him.

Yet one more reason I thought there was something fishy going on. I mean, if the body had been turned to free-floating ash that's one thing... but it wasn't...

18. Master-Anakin-Solo

Jan 18, 2002
    Tahiru nad Lady_tahiri, I completely know wath it is to try to convice other people that AS can come back, and I have also getting to tired of it but, I still do it so at least we give hope to all of the AS fans, I think it is a way to help each other out to don't give up,

To all of the AS fans let's stay togheter :D

19. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Master-Anakin-Solo, you have the biggest Anakin Solo fan's support :)

20. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    This is great, so many possibilities and so many plot twists. This is why the EU is so popular. Now I just have to wait for all these f'n books to come out!

21. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Though I haven't read SbS all the way through (I was spoiled by callous posters in Lit. :mad: ) I feel that they are going to keep Anakin around in some way. My guess is we'll see him return in the last HC in a way that is so obvious we'll never guess it.

22. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Lord Bane, that's probably going to happen, a very obvious return. And until then, all Anakin Solo fans will be frantically making complicated theories. Lol. ;)

23. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    This is a little off-topic, but what exactly "killed" Anakin?

The weapons of the Vong notwithstanding, Anakin died through his own arrogance and desire to be a hero.

He jumps into the middle of the fight, fine. I won't fault him for that. But then, when he does get injured, he tries to hide the fact and ignore his wounds. Because he?s Anakin Solo, and Anakin Solo has to be invincible. Even after that though, he might have lived. Instead, when the group was attacked later, he stepped up front and tried to fight the battle himself. Because he is Anakin Solo, and no one else can do the job. A dozen other Jedi were with him, all well trained and experienced, and he jumped up to be the hero. He showed little to no faith in the abilities of the rest of the group; only Anakin Solo could save the day.

That was the attitude that got him killed.

24. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    No no no!
    U've got it all backwards!
    He wasn't thinking about himself at all! He jumped into the fight to save Jaina, and he ignored the wound because he was thinking about the *mission* and the *team*.
    There are several times where it is describing Anakin's internal thought, and he feels *guilty* because it's *his* wound that's slowing *the team* down.
    Did u read SbS? B/c if you didn't u shouldn't be confusing other people by handing out false information.

25. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    No no no!
    U've got it all backwards!
    He wasn't thinking about himself at all! He jumped into the fight to save Jaina, and he ignored the wound because he was thinking about the *mission* and the *team*.
    There are several times where it is describing Anakin's internal thought, and he feels *guilty* because it's *his* wound that's slowing *the team* down.
    Did u read SbS? B/c if you didn't u shouldn't be confusing other people by handing out false information.

I've read Star by Star twice. I simply have a completely different opinion of the events than you do. I?d ask that you not accuse me of handing out false information or calling whether I?ve read the book or not into question; that is borderline flaming, and uncalled for.

Jaina is a Jedi Knight, every bit as powerful and well trained as Anakin is himself. She?s a big girl, and takes care of herself on a regular basis. Was she in trouble? I don?t doubt it. But I also don?t doubt her abilities to get out of trouble and come out on top. Anakin did, believing his sister incapable of the task. Anakin felt that despite his injuries, he was still more capable than Jaina. He did not trust her or her abilities. Only Anakin Solo, Hero, can save his little sister?

Yes, Anakin?s wound was slowing the team down. So were the wounds that the other characters had taken. He was hardly unique in that he was wounded, only in the severity of his wounds. But he dwelt on himself and his own failures to the exclusion of the rest of the team. A leader is not entirely responsible for a teams? success, and neither is he entirely responsible for the teams? failure. By trying to shoulder all the blame on himself, he once again shows his arrogance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.