main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Can I just cut to the chase and read "The Unifying Force?"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Red.Two, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's funny how we re-cast the past as well as a tendency to cast our own viewpoint as that of the underdog and the minority.

There's really only one viewpoint I'm quite happy to see the death of and that's the emotional blackmail that says if you stop buying the books SW EU dies. And yeah, it did exist for quite a while a decade or so ago. That may be one sign of progress: We all know SW sells and will continue even if any - or even all of us - were to stop buying. Always came across as a delusion of grandeur, just accept we ain't that important.

Of course, on current trends, LOTF is due for a popular resurgence in probably, oh say 3-4 years time?

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    In Maine.

And Luke Skywalker is a chair.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Remnant and New Rebellion are good books. I like both of them a lot.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of it might be pretty corny but that's why I like it.

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The Enemy Lines duology is fantastic. They are so well placed in The NJO. In fact I'd say Rebel Dream was the most fun I had in the series.

I'd say that Allston comes the closest of all the EU writers in capturing the kind of comedy we saw in the OT.

TheRedBlade and RC-1991 like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Enemy Lines also has the brilliance of a Super Star Destroyer kicking much Vong arse!

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Goes to show you that just because everything has gone down the drain doesn't mean we can't have fun. Allston is indeed the closest we get to the comedy of the OT. So many fun moments. The Insider's, The mission to Coruscant, Wedge's and Tycho's banter, all of it. Though I will say that Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy is the most authentic feeling of all of the books I've read.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And the return of the Imperial style of fighting.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i started reading the NJO series fater three books came out. I had no idea another series had been started at that point. I loved it from the beginning. Yes i was a little frustrated with Luke's inactivity, but to me it made sense between his cut back of use of the force and the struggle to comprehend a species void of the force.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And the whole don't want anyone to fall to the Dark Side because of his struggles in the OT with Vader and Palpatine.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That actually made sense, that if the Jedi took all restraint off they'd be far more open to the dark side. I don't buy that Kyp wanted that either, he just wanted a more active stance - having known exactly what a perious razor it is to walk too close to the dark side, sadly Kyp got done over by NJO.