main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can I take it on an airplane?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by FiorCara, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    Hey! I'm flyin Delta to Indianapolis from Atlanta. However, I don't want my baggage confiscated!

Basically, I have four questionable items.

1. My lightsaber blade. I'm scared to death this thing would break if I just put it in the cargo baggage under the plane, they're not to gentle with that stuff. This thing is 40" long, would I be able to carry it packed in a tube like a large poster?

2. Amidala Blaster Pistol Water Gun. This is so blatantly a toy... it should be okay under the plane, right?

3. Droid Blaster Rifle. Again, it's a toy. The one that lights up and makes a SCH-CHONG noise when you pull the trigger, and other laser sounds. Okay under the plane, right? I think both of these are plastic.

4. I know that NO food or drink is allowed through security anymore. Can I stick a box of poptarts or some sort of non-canned snack in my suitcase?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. If anyone knows where with Delta I should call to inquire, that's great too! I looked at their site and had a hard time figureing this out, I've never flown or done hotel stuff by myself before, and the last time I went with parents was several years ago. Thanks!

~Caleigh

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I'd check with the airline directly, they are the only ones that will give you the answer you need. They may direct you to talk to someone at the specific airport that you're flying out of, so you may need to contact them as well.

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    No food, really? I walked right on a plane just a month ago with a drink and no one said a word.

As for the other things, my suggestion is if you think you can pack it in your checked baggage, do it. The lightsabre blade would be the most delicate I would say. I would call the airline on that one and see what they suggest you do.

You can still bring just about anything on a plane, just check with the airline to see what would make it easier for both parties in regards to packing it.

4. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah, I'll try and find a number for Delta again...

Shara: Maybe it's just Harsfield International Airport here in Atlanta that has that rule, but they make you trash any food or drink you have. You want somethin, buy it on the concourse. Which SUCKS b/c it costs $5 for a coke. Blah.

~Caleigh

5. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah considering how busy that airport is, I wouldn't doubt it. Good luck with everything!

6. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Regarding how to pack a lightsaber blade so that it doesn't get damaged. My hubby has checked fishing poles before. I think maybe sporting goods stores MIGHT have something suitable for this, but my husband just made himself a case out of PVC pipe and the screw on caps. For extra security holding the caps on, he uses duct tape. Very affordable solution, and holds up well to whatever kind of handling. I'd just wrap the blade in towels to keep it from banging against the inside of the PVC.

If your blade wasn't so long, I would have suggested a rifle case, which is what hubby has modified for his bow and arrows, they have nice padding. But I'm not recalling ever meeting a 40" rifle.

7. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    You should always contact the airlines directly. Unless somehere works for an airline they aren't going to have the info you need.
    There are procedures for carrying unloaded firearms. There was a dicussion on this a while back. Allot of people just recommend treating your props like unloaded firearms. It's just easier that way and it puts the airline staff at ease. It's also safer for your props to be in a real case for weapons instead of handled by the regular baggage crew.

I'm not sure what airlines won't allow food, but in the past few months I have travelled on Contintenal and Northwest airlines and have seen people bring fast food from the airport onto the plane. Just this past weekend I brought a Whopper and some fries, and the crew, stewardesses, and security people at the gate saw it and said nothing at all.
    I've also taken boxes of Nuitrigrain bars with me through security areas with no problems.
    I don't see how food constitutes a security threat.

8. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Toren, this isn't an airline issue with the food. It's an airPORT issue. Hartsfield International doesn't allow you onto the concourse with food you brought in. Maybe they think you'll poision someone? I dunno. This summer my BF had an open coke, they made him drink some at the security checkpoint. Now you can't take it at all.

Hrm. So it goes in cases? I don't have a gun case. *Confused* I can't find Delta's # for this.. *mutters*

~Caleigh

9. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Okay, I realized there's a phone # on my ticket. Jeez, major brain failure not to think of looking THERE...

They said that on the toy guns to just put them in my suitcase UNDER the plane in the cargo hold and that'd be fine.

As for my saberblade, pack it in a tube and I can carry it on the plane. However, don't tape it up too much since they'll prob want to take it out and inspect it.

So, if anyone else is flying Delta and was wondering the same, that's it.

~Caleigh

10. K-Dub_Solo

K-Dub_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    You might want to consider shipping it directly to your hotel. That way you skip the whole plane with your saber.

11. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Nope, too paranoid. Thanks though! :) I'm carrying it on the plane. 'sides, the flight's only an hour and a half.

~Caleigh

12. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I spoke with Delta and they said it would be a good idea to mention the TOY LASER GUN in my checked container and let them check it out (so put it on top) before sealing the container (I'm checking my trooper gear in a plastic storage bin, sealed with those little plastic locking straps you have to cut off). This way no one freaks out if they scan it later. Maybe they mark it or put something in the computer or something...I dunno...

As for the saber, even though they said "okay", I'd be concerned about carrying it on. You could really whack someone over the head with one of those, and I've heard they don't allow baseball bats for this reason. I think if you put it in a short tube surrounding by foam rubber and then secured in the checked luggage it would do fine. Just wrap it as if you were mailing it.

Scott

13. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    The other thing to consider is I believe there is a restriction to one carry-on piece per person. If two of you are going, then thats a little easier as all the essentials could be packed into one bag and the other person could carry the tube with the saber blade. But, if just one is going, then it might be a problem. I've had friends transport built models with them on airlines and they haven't had any apparent problems. If you pack it like it is the crown jewels, it should do fine. The only problem would be if it gets misplaced. I had another friend who had that happen to his box of models. The damage to them occurred from them sitting out during a rain storm.

14. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    According to the Delta website, you can CHECK three bags if you don't have a carry on. Something I'm considering since I have trooper armor and 2 other costumes, plus some action figures to get autographed! And 1 pair of underwear.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.