main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Jedi be Senators ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by voodoopuuduu, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    leto II, son of paul usul muad'dib atreides,

Where did you get this awesome knowledge? Wait so why did the Jedi lead an army in the clone war if they swore off political military alliances? That does not make sense!

2. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Dune...Arrakis...the spice....

Sting was AWESOME in that movie man!!! Oh...and I think leto's talking about TPM...it was definitely in that one he said...but I fell asleep during that part so I'm bummin'.

3. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    was it a special edition cause I think I remember seeing all of the movie and it wasn't there, but I could be wrong I was drunk at the TPM premiere.

4. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Dude it was in "The Phantom Menace" visual guide to the making of pop up book...Any Star Wars fan knows this!!! It was AWESOME!!!

5. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    I need to go back and get that back...do they sell it at barnes an hobles?

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Most of it comes from sources like the Tales of the Jedi comic series and The New Essential Chronology, but portions of it came from Stover's Revenge of the Sith novelization. The background history of the Republic Dark Age can be found in the Jedi vs. Sith comics, and in the forthcoming Darth Bane: Path of Destruction biographical novel, due out in October.

Yup, and it's a state of affairs which is very contradictory to their espoused "policy" of supposed "neutrality," and which Yoda and Mace lament in the films. It all went downhill the moment the Jedi decided to go along and play ball with Palpatine in his little war.

Thousands of years beforehand, the Jedi Order was a separate entity, not beholden to the government in any way, shape, or form, and it was the Senate who had to go to the High Council and beg for intervention (à la during the Exar Kun war). And many times, they refused to participate, or did so entirely on their own terms (à la the Mandalorian Wars). However, by the time the Clone Wars erupted, they were in a position where they were virtually the personal enforcement arm of the Chancellor's office, and saying "no" would've endangered public opinion against the Order. The right thing to say, but -- unfortunately -- also the inconvenient thing.

And the choice which ultimately drove the final nail into the Order's coffin.

7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Hmmm, that's a good question...and already seems like there's good answers here as well.

The only legal hindrance I can think of is if being an official card-carrying member of the Jedi Order counted as any official government position. In that case, I would suspect that a Jedi couldn't hold their legal position as a Jedi AND be a Senator at the same time. A Jedi may be able to run and, if elected, become a Senator but have to leave their Jedi office. That is, assuming holding two offices is an issue in Republic Law; I only suspect it might because it is an issue in U.S. law and appears in the U.S. Constitution (...no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office)

There's also a difference between being a Jedi and being Force Sensitive. Someone like Leia wouldn't be breaking the rules in ANH because she isn't serving the Jedi Order - she has no conflict of interest or loyalties.

8. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    There's also a difference between being a Jedi and being Force Sensitive. Someone like Leia wouldn't be breaking the rules in ANH because she isn't serving the Jedi Order - she has no conflict of interest or loyalties.

I dont think there is a conflict between the duties of a Senator and the duties of a Jedi per se. A cop could very well be a Senator and return to being a cop after leaving the Senate. I feel the main problem with Force sensitive people in the Senate is 1) they may have used their powers to get there in the first place and 2) they may use their powers to influence votes and outcomes. Even if they didnt use their powers, non force sensitives may suspect them anyway, causing general resentment.

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    voodoopuuduu: I feel the main problem with Force sensitive people in the Senate is 1) they may have used their powers to get there in the first place and 2) they may use their powers to influence votes and outcomes. Even if they didnt use their powers, non force sensitives may suspect them anyway, causing general resentment.

Ah, gotcha. In terms of the Jedi 'using their powers to get there in the first place' and 'to influence votes and outcomes', I suppose it would be no different than any other form of corruption that exists in any government, the Senate not excepted: there are other ways of unethically using power over others besides mind control: bribery, blackmail, etc.

That being said, using the Force doesn't leave a paper-trail like the other methods, and could certainly be used on more people. So I suppose it could warrant more concern in that regard. Also, I don't think the average politician looking to smear an opponent, or a civilian who is fearful of the powers of the Jedi, would see things as kindly as I did in the above paragraph. [face_peace]

10. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded, and I would suppose most Senators are not weak minded. So I do not think that Jedi mind tricks would be a problem.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

11. Mr_Pocket

Mr_Pocket Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2005
    Oh the pocket from Malastaire disagrees senators are weakminded...look at Ted Kennedy or tom delay...thus endeth the message.

12. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    True.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

13. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Oh the pocket from Malastaire disagrees senators are weakminded...look at Ted Kennedy or tom delay...thus endeth the message.

Yep, its almost a prerequisit that they have to be. :p

Yes, there are many other forms of corruption that can be used without using Force powers. But what makes Force power corruption even worse is that 1) It can be done a lot of times without anyone knowing it and 2) Only Force sensitives can do it. Regular corruption can be done by everyone, in a sick way, making the playing field even. :D

14. Bripe_Klmun

Bripe_Klmun Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    ...and Star Wars fans don't make sweeping statements like this. Not everyone knows everything if they have limited access to information - internet nonwithstanding.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine just managed to get them when they were not on Courscant, but on Kashyyyk, tending to the post war cleanup. The pretext was that they harbored Jedi fugitives and attacked upon Lord Vader and the 501st.

16. BA_Baracus

BA_Baracus Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2006
    was this in dark lord? I must have skimmed over that part (not sarcasm, sometimes in the boring parts of books, I tend to skim)

And did it really say they enslaved them? If so, than that only drops my opinion of Luceno's books further. (LoE sucked and Dark Lord was not much better. the only reason I read it was because I found the premise of Darth Vader newly created was interesting, but instead he crams it full of some crap about Jedi you never heard of and a small bit about Vader whining 'oh my legs feel weird, the bag I pee into makes me walk funny, My arm hurts')

It was during the Kashyyk battle scene, right? Did they really fight or was that palpatines jive? Cause I think the wooks name begins with a Y and I dont recall that being in the book. I read about Chewie escaping though. Which is lame, because he is mentioned as being a wookiee slave, yet for some reason he escapes the time when all the other wooks are enslaved. Thats Luceno for you.

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, the Jedi did some pretty stupid things.

Carnage

18. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Wait so why did the Jedi lead an army in the clone war if they swore off political military alliances? That does not make sense!

Yep, they did some dumb things.

Also what about the legendary Jedi negotitiating skills ? If they had been negotitiating, they probably would have gotten the same info the Obi-Wan got spying even earlier.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, the Wookiees were enslaved in DL. The part about Vader and the suit is based on what Prowse, Hayden, Shaw and others have said regarding how heavy and difficult the suit it. Even Lucas admits that it restricted movement, which is why he had to invent the concept that Vader is a cripple and thus cannot move as well as he did before going into the suit.

The story of Roan Shyrne and the other Jedi illustrates how hard it was for the Jedi to adapt to the new status quo. Adaptation is an important theme in Star Wars.

Again, no errors. The Wookiees were taken as slaves to help finish the Death Star. That's been the same in the eu for years. The Wookiees did fight against being enslaved, but they were defeated. Chewie escaped with the Jedi because of his piloting skills. He stayed away from Kashyyyk until about two years before ANH, when he went back to marry Maala (sp), his long time girlfriend before going to the Corperate Sector for a year. Chewie was not enslaved until about 13 years after the taking of Kashyyyk. Shortly after, he was saved by Han Solo, as revealed in "The Hutt Gambit".

20. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    I dont tihnk they can be senators, they have no planet ro trepresent. maybe someone with force potential can, but being a jedi means you have no attachments. no one planet to really call your home.

21. BA_Baracus

Apr 5, 2006
    But at the end he is moving fluidly because he tweaked his own suit, so by the time of Prowse, he should be doing fine. Which is why it makes no sense to have hi mcrying like a girl.

Did it say anything about the Senators specifically? I never saw that part. And I dont get why Luceno had Chewie escape. We know he gets enslaved later, so why not just have him enslaved here, and that way we know what he's up to for 15 years or so. Instead of having to wonder how he got caught and such, just have him be enslaved until Han comes. That would make way more sense, and make him a better charatcer instead of being enslaved for a little while before being rescued. It'd make him more hardened and tough. Once again, Luceno dropped the ball.

Malla. She was in the holiday special, no? That sucked bad.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He still hates the suit, by the time of "Shadows Of The Empire", which is between TESB and ROTJ. Vader is trying his damndest to get out of the suit, so that he can function again as a normal person. He never liked the suit. He hated it because he feels that Sidious did this on purpose. Creating a suit that restricts movement. Employing cheaper bionic limbs to keep him down. Sidious uses methods to bring out Vader's anger and hate, which will make him more effective. He's used to it, but he never liked the suit.

I don't recall it in the book, but I assume that the Wookiee senators had returned to Kashyyyk after ROTS.

Who says that he dropped the ball? It might have been the decision of the folks at Lucasbooks or Lucas himself. Chewie might be in the live action series, in which case he has to be off Kashyyyk and out from Imperial control for a time. Even if he's not in the live action series, Chewie can appear in the novels set after "Dark Lord" and before "The Hutt Gambit". Luceno is going by the LFL timeline and what he might've been told to do.

The show was bad, but the Wookiee characters and events are all part of the Star Wars lore. They've appeared in "The Hutt Gambit", "Rebel Dawn", "Heir To The Empire", "Tyrant's Test", "Darkest Knight", "Fall Of The Diversity Alliance", "Chewbacca", "Hero's Trial" and "The Unifying Force."

23. BA_Baracus

Apr 5, 2006
    At the beginning, he's all clunky, but then he gets control of his suit and tweaks it so it feels normal. Thats how he is so fluid and beat all those guys at once. It's not clunky anymore.

24. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Jedi Senator : You like the 50% tax increase. (waves hand) :p

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And as Lucas said, Vader was hindered by his bionics and the suit. He got better, but he's a far cry from before. Besides, only Roan Shryne was capable of putting up a fight. The Jedi that Vader killed on Kashyyyk were not the best of the Order. If it was Quilan Vos, then he'd really be in for a rough time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.