main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN Can Jedi deflect projectile weapons?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Master-of-the-Force, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-of-the-Force

Master-of-the-Force Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    First of all would they be able to see the projectile? (A bullet for example?)(Would it be vaporized with a lightsaber?)

What about a shotgun blast?

My point is I think Jedi would be in trouble against an Uzi or auto shotgun what do you think?

Energy weapons are futuristic but projectile weapons may be formidable against Jedi.

We don't see projectile weapons to often in the Star Wars universe. Sand people rifles, Ewok weapons, etc... It's usually a blaster of some kind

2. ntobin99

ntobin99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2002
    Why not a machine gun? [face_devil]

3. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    I would think they would be able to if they were a Master of the force, I don't think being able to see them is a big deal due to the fact that they can sense things before they happen. They could use their lightsaber to vaporise anything but a large number of them I think they would have to be pretty darn good with the force.

4. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    My guess is that they would use a force-push instead of deflecting them with the lightsaber.

5. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    Do you think that a force push is a big area or do they concentrate the push on the object?

6. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm sure if they were really good they could erect some sort of Force Shield.

7. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    Luke did a "shield" in one of the books. There was a cave in, I think MJ was in the cave too.

8. Jenson_Cole

Jenson_Cole Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    Why not just Dodge or avoid. Danger Sense is a great power for Jedi and obviously Jedi have capabilities of moveing very fast in a straight out run as shown in Episode 1.

9. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    Leaving aside the question of whether they could be seen and countered, we come to the question of if the projectile would splatter on the blade, be deflected, or split into two.
    Let us deal with the third option first as it is the easiest to answer. When we watch the Lightsaber duels of the movies we see that the blades have a "flat" edge, i.e. they do not always cut into an object. As a Jedi uses this edge to change the angle at which Blaster beams are deflected, it would be a imple matter to use the same defenses with projectiles as with blasters and avoid cutting the projectile into two.
    Onto the first two options. It is my belief that, the lightsaber blade being as hot as it is, most projectiles would simply splatter against the blade. However projectiles that are too dense to disintegrate instantly would probably be slightly deflected, enough to prtect the Jedi rather than to strike back at their opponent. I am probably going to butcher the terms here but I think you would get the idea. Blasters bolts rely on momentum and heat energy to do damag. These are much easier to redirect than the kinetic energy of a projectile.

10. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    Ya, what he said.

11. Empyre

Jul 25, 2000
    I just realized how long and odd that rant was. I must really be missing my classes if I am imitating my profs.

12. ntobin99

ntobin99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2002
    Forget all this lets see the dodge a Atom Boom. [face_laugh]

13. Empyre

Jul 25, 2000
    I now have the time to address the question of whether the Jedi could actually bring his blade in fast enough to counter the bullets.
    First let's consider a semi-auto handgun. The bullets may or may not travel faster than a blaster bolt. I have not seen any evidence to indicate one way or the other, but that is immaterial. The Jedi's precognitive senses would more than make up for the speed differential. He knows the blaster bolt or bullet is coming the moment it is fired. sometimes this makes no difference because they are so close that the Jedi has no time to react, i.e. EII Jango on teh balcony.so at a moderate distance the Jedi could react in time to bring his blade to bear. Now, as each bullet hits it will transfer much or all of it's kinetic energy, depending on if it is deflected or disintegrated, into the blade pushing it backwards. With a semi-auto, this would cause no problem for the Jedi, they could easily compenstae in time to catch the next shot.Now with a fully automatic, the Jedi has a near continuous stream of bullets coming at him. He could keep the blade between himself and the bullets because, while it is near continuous, the aim would be shifting at only normal human speed. but the Jedi has a different problem. Each bullet that impacts the blade knocks it backwards. With them coming so quickly, he would have nearly no time to compensate. Keep it up long enough and the Jedi's lightsaber will be scorching his flesh. His only option would be to run.

Feel free to chime in on any part you think would occur differently.

14. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    The kenetic energy would dissapate into the blade, as has been proven in episode I and 2 with blaster shots from destroyers. They shot fast and rapidly, but the jedi deflected them with little effort. Since it is not a solid thing, but a beam of energy, the bullet would dissapate. The blade doesn't stop the bullets, but incinerates them instantly.

Obviously, the only thing that can exert real pressure against an energy blade is energy itself, as demonstrated in the movies. A lightsaber can cut through anything, but is repelled when brought against another light saber. So the bullets, being physical, would not exhert force against the jedi's blade. He would cut thru them as easy as luke cut through the pieces of pipe Vader sent flying at him.

15. Empyre

Jul 25, 2000
    If I remember correctly, when Luke cut through the pipes he deflected one part but got hit by the second. I could be wrong, right now I don't have a VCR to check. If so the jedi would have problems.

Could someone please check that for me. I am going crazy not being able to watch the originals right now.

16. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    I have watched them a few times in the past weeks. ahhahahahahha

Suffer.. suffer... suffer. hehhehheahheh

17. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    reading through this all I think the forcepush would be the best idea. or maybe a modification of what some Jedi do (see I, Jedi) when a large amount of dust is kicked up they apply a physical sheild around themselves. Bullets are much harder due to higher mass and greater velocity, but I imagine a sufficiently strong JEdi could do it.

18. Darth_Vegeta

Darth_Vegeta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    I kinda picture it like how Neo does it in the Matrix. An experienced Jedi could no doubt slow bullets or arrows or what have you. Why wouldn't a Jedi Master be able to reverse the velocity? And if not that, we've seen in Jedi Outcast that a Jedi can speed up so that time around them is greatly slowed down. If nothing else, they could probably dodge.

19. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    an excellent suggestion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.