main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Knights of the Old Republic be "Official" Canon?**Contains Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MariusTraven, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariusTraven

MariusTraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2003
    I got to thinking about this on the KOTOR3 Speculation board....

With all the different possibilities in both Knights of the Old Republic games, the openended, light/dark endings, can we take away anything from these games and add them to our official knowledge of the Star Wars universe? I have enjoyed these games greatly (even 2 despite it's unfinished ending). It makes me a little sad to think that taken as a whole, they really don't fit into any real peg when it comes to this fictional history....

Does anyone know if LucasArts has addressed this?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    KOTOR is canon- the lightside ending ending is the "actual" ending and Revan is most likely Male.

We've already seen one spin-off comic short story with anotehr coming soon, and the games themselves tie into the TOTJ comics and even vaguely connect to the NJO novels.

Finally, the KOTOR backstory has been worked into the full Mandalorian History in an article by Abel Pena in SW Insider.

3. MariusTraven

Aug 25, 2003
    I found this while searching around on the official site: It's an excerpt from Bastila Shan's Databank entry:

Malak tortured Bastila, corrupting her will and turning her to the dark side of the Force. The next time Revan encountered Bastila, she was a dark warrior filled with rage. Bastila urged Revan to turn to the dark side, and the decision made by Revan ultimately sealed the fate of Bastila, the Star Forge, and Darth Malak's scourge.

It leaves Revan's decision blank, however....in Darth Malak's Databank entry:

The Sith Lord had grotesquely adapted the Rakatan device to draw energy directly from chained Jedi captives. He replenished his life force from the captives by draining theirs. Malak was nearly unstoppable, but the Republic emerged from that epic conflict victorious, as the Star Forge was eventually destroyed.

I'm not clear on this....was the Star Forge destroyed in both the light and dark endings?

edit: here were the two links I used in this post:
    Star Wars: Databank | Malak, Darth

Star Wars: Databank | Shan, Bastila

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah, the one entry references events that occur only in the lightside ending, as I udnerstand it.

Additionally, LFL continuity folk have commented on the subject as well.

5. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    What about that line in the AOTC "there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the republic!"? That always threw me,presumably that would preclude the Jedi Civil War(among many others)

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's referring to the formation of the current incarnation of the Republic. There was a major restructuring/reformation that occured 1,000 years before the movies following the Sith's defeat at the Battle of Ruusan.

7. JANGOANTILLES

Apr 18, 2005
    ah,thanks

8. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I had the same confusion when the game came out. I've come to decide that the backstory happened and that the games thenselves "in" universe has become legend and most of the records about this time are lost so there are various versions going around the galaxy on what "EXACTLY" happened. I think that's the best solution for fans.

9. Valacar

Valacar Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2004
    The Star Forge is destroyed no matter what ending is chosen.

And the Star Wars Databank keeps Revan's path and identity unknown on purpose. I checked all of the KotOR entries in the databanks and they obviously leave it out.

10. JANGOANTILLES

Apr 18, 2005
    In the darkside ending nobody can control the Star Forge once Revan leaves so its useless and presumbably the Republic blows it away but its possible the Sith destroy it in infighting but i don't think its ever stated definitively

11. sprintabm

sprintabm Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2005
    The Wikipedia entries on Darth Revan and on the Exile claim that Lucasfilm has stated that the male ligh side paths in both games are canonical. Not really sure where they got this from, but I believe them. If you look at it from a non-story point-of-view (ie making money point-of-view), think about it: Who is the audience for the game? What storyline is the majority of the audience going to play? The answers are: A bunch of guys, and male light side. So it makes sense to have that storyline as canonical.

Although I have the preference to make Revan male light side and the Exile female light side but whatever...

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My understanding is the Republic only destroys it in the lightside ending.

Dan Wallace (author of The Essential Chronology and forthcoming New Essential Chronology): "That said, LFL has told me that the official continuity stance on KOTOR is: Mr. Revan, light-side ending."

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Nice. Sounds like that will shed some light on what is "offical".

14. SithLordRevan

SithLordRevan Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2004
    Check this out its canom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sith

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Sounds like that will shed some light on what is "offical".<<

A little- he says that despite the official position relayed to him, he's still going to be vague in terms of the KOTOR era, so as not to intentionally dampen a gamer's view.

16. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    my wuestion is, that if the lightside ending is official in KOTOR 1 and the sith are all pretty much destroyed. How are there so many Sith and so little Jedi in KOTOR 2 just 5 years later?

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    We've already seen one spin-off comic short story with anotehr coming soon, and the games themselves tie into the TOTJ comics and even vaguely connect to the NJO novels.

What? Where are the comics? What does TOTJ stand for?

How does KotOR tie in with the NJO?

18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    TotJ is Tales of the Jedi, I think.

I can't recall where the NJO is tied in, though. :(

19. MariusTraven

Aug 25, 2003
    There is a small NJO connection....I'm recalling this from memory so bear with me....

Canderous mentions to you in one of his tales that he encoutered as strange type of ship somewhere beyond the outer rim. He basically described one of the Yuuzhan Vong Coral Skippers....He said they attacked the ship but it escaped, suggesting that it was a recon ship.....

20. Jon_Bidinger

Jon_Bidinger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2003
    How is that possible, the Yuuzhan Vong werent near the SW Galaxy that far back. Right?

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Yuuzhan Vong were supposedly spying on the galaxy since the days of the Old Republic, during the time of the Yoda and Windu Jedi Council.

I don't think the NJO mentioned them being around before that time

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No, the Star Forge isn't destroyed in the Dark Side ending. Revan just kills Malak and takes it over. The last FMV in the dark side ending shows an endless fleet of warships emerging from the Star Forge, poised to conquer the Republic. Of course, for KOTOR 2 that scenario doesn't work very well since you'd figure Revan would be ruling the Republic; he simply wouldn't abandon his empire to the likes of Sion, Nihilus or Traya.

23. Jon_Bidinger

Sep 18, 2003
    So maybe the "CoralSkippers" were Sekotan ships.

24. MariusTraven

Aug 25, 2003
    Well, the NJO reference in KOTOR is small, so I figure it was the developers just throwing a shout out to their Literary counterparts. The 1st Knights was produced right when NJO was in its prime, if there was one, so I figure they were just seeing if anyone was paying attention...

25. Jon_Bidinger

Sep 18, 2003
    So we can just discount it as an Easter Egg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.