main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Luke understand R2D2?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by deadend, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadend

deadend Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2004
    In ANH, when Owen first acquires the droids Luke ask 3P0 on several occasions what R2 is saying. It seems to me like he uses 3P0 to translate. ("Tell him to play it back..!"). But by the end of the movie and in the beginning of ESB he seems to have regular conversation with R2. I know this is trivial, but anyone have any theories?

2. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    After listening/being around Artoo for a while i'm sure Luke can pick up the basic set of beeps that mean basic things like yes or no answers as well as the mannerisms. For example, the long ewwwww noises are pretty easy for us to understand what the little tin can means.

Plus don't forget, Luke's X-wing can translate what Artoo is saying and display it.

3. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I'm going to say he's intuitive enough to get the gist of what Artoo is saying by the tone of his, um, voice? Otherwise, I think it's just general extrapolation and assumption on his part. Hanging around Artoo long enough would likely allow one to pick up on his personality well enough that you could gauge his reactions to things. (And on the X-wing, it can translate, as it states above.)

BTW, I should probably add that I think Hamill's interaction with R2D2 is probably one of his best acting bits. He really helps to bring what is essentially a prop object to life. :D The scenes on Dagobah are some of my favorite because of that.

4. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I always wondered about this. It seems like Luke CAN understand Artoo at times. Though if he can't, and he ISN'T getting the gist of Artoo's expressions, it could be potentially amusing.

Like in ANH:

Luke is climbing into his X-Wing before the Battle of Yavin. Artoo is being lowered into the droid compartment of the star fighter.

"You okay, Artoo?"

(Artoo beeps back)

"Good."

Luke says 'good', but really, for all he knows, Artoo says, "No, I'm not okay! I brought you guys the Death Star plans, isn't that enough? Now I got to go fight in a space battle, too? With my head sticking out of the ship and everything? You guys suck!"

Now, I wonder if Luke and Leia understand Chewie as well as Han and Lando do...

5. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    His X-Wing translates? Wow, i never knew that. That is so cool!!

(i was about to post that mabye he has an 'Understanding Droids' booklet in his glove comaprtment!)

6. Joguy90

Joguy90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    About Chewie: I find it odd that Chewie does not speak basic. He understands it, why doesn't he speak it? There is a wookie in Heir to the Empire that speaks basic.

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I think Luke can understand him. Han clearly understands the treadwell droid on Hoth, so there's no reason Luke couldn't. It's just another language.

As for Chewbacca, Wookiees are carnivores. As such, their jaws don't move side to side, only up and down, so speaking english is pretty much out of the question.
    And I don't remember any wookiees in heir speaking basic. Where?

8. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999

When Chewie takes Leia to hide on Kashyyk.

Although, as it's EU, it has no bearing on the films at all.

Back to the topic: I figure it's the same way I can tel what my cat wants when he meows, although it's quite often to do with food, I suspect that Luke and R2 build up enough of a relationship that Luke can at least make an educated guess.

9. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    That Wookiee couldn't speak basic, he just had a speech impediment that made it easier for non-native speakers of Shyriwook to understand him.

10. deadend

deadend Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2004
    About Chewie: I find it odd that Chewie does not speak basic. He understands it, why doesn't he speak it? There is a wookie in Heir to the Empire that speaks basic.

This is a good point, but I think Chewie speaking his own language helps to develop his character and gives him a more distinct identity. All in all it adds flavor to the story. I know I have countless friends who do horrible wookie impressions of Chewie.

11. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Off-topic: According to the EU, no Wookiees can speak Basic, though some other species can speak Shyriwook. There are a few Wookiees with speech impediments, etc. who are more easily understood, but no Basic.

On-topic: As previously stated, Luke can understand R2's basic mannerisms, and when he's on his X-Wing it translates. He also probably knows most of what Artoo's going to say in any given situation, so he normally doesn't need a real translator.

12. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Perhaps as Luke got a better understanding of the Force, he used it to understand Artoo. Maybe it's not just "through the Force, things you will see," but also "through the Force, things you will hear" as well.

But then, haven't we all seen these movies enough times to almost understand Artoo (or is that just me?).

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "You okay, Artoo?"
    (Artoo beeps back)
    "Good."
    Luke says 'good', but really, for all he knows, Artoo says, "No, I'm not okay! I brought you guys the Death Star plans, isn't that enough? Now I got to go fight in a space battle, too? With my head sticking out of the ship and everything? You guys suck!"

The last few times I watched ANH, I thought about the same. Only I imagined it shorter. "You okay, Artoo?" - "No, get me the **** outta here!"

14. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003

When Chewie takes Leia to hide on Kashyyk.

They don't speak basic at all there. Leia just understands wookiee.

Wookiee mouths aren't capable of forming human speech.

15. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    His X-Wing translates? Wow, i never knew that

You never noticed, especially in ESB when Luke is flying to Dagobah, everytime Artoo talks, there is some writing that gets displayed in red on the screen in front of him and Luke looks at the screen before replying?

16. Arkanum-Hleba

Arkanum-Hleba Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2004
    Does that actually say anything? I've paused it and tried to read it but can't make out any words.

17. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    It's probably written in the same language that you see throughout the movies. It sort've resembled Kanji or Chinese calligraphy, that sort of thing.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's in Aurabesh

19. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    I was wondering about this myself watching ESB the other day when I noticed something. After R2 gets spit out of the water on Dagobah and Luke is cleaning him off (or somewhere about that time) R2 whistles something.

Luke replies, "If you're saying that coming here was a bad idea, I'm starting to agree."

To me this shows that Luke cant exactly understand the electronic language, but has been around R2 enough that he is familiar with the different patterns of bleeps and whistles and can differentiate separate emotions, so to speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.