main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Mods check someones PM box if a user requests them to?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ReaperFett, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
  2. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, they can... but only admins will know your password. So if someone is disturbing you via PM, then PM an admin and they'll check your PMs.
    _jOBO

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Only admins can log in as users to view PM's.

¤Night

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Only admins can log in as users to view PM's.

Weird. I had to give my password to an Admin for them to be able to log in as me. Should they have the passwords themselves?

5. Jobo

Aug 14, 2000
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of a manager? Because I've had that happen (granted, not for PM checking). Managers can't see your password, so if they asked, it was likely that or moderator... or an admin who didn't know.
    _jOBO

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of a manager? Because I've had that happen (granted, not for PM checking). Managers can't see your password, so if they asked, it was likely that or moderator... or an admin who didn't know.

He's listed as an Admin now, but I suppose it's possible he was only a Manager at the time (Rox). It was for handling a FanForce issue at the time.

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    For security reasons I think it's best that no one, including mods, ask you for your password unless it's some extreme situation. So if you want the PMs on an account checked, ask someone with "Administrator" in their title and they can do it without asking anyone to give out their password.

This would be a good time to reiterate the policy we discussed a while back about accusing other members of things. We take that seriously so please either be very sure about what you accuse people of, or state upfront that your accusation is just a suspicion that you have and not fact. Thanks.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For security reasons I think it's best that no one, including mods, ask you for your password unless it's some extreme situation. So if you want the PMs on an account checked, ask someone with "Administrator" in their title and they can do it without asking anyone to give out their password.

Ah! But for FanForce boards -- only the FanForce staff have dominion if I'm not mistaken. If you're having issues regarding FanForce chapters, members, etc. the JC administration at-large doesn't have much input as far as I am given to understand?

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    But there also are FanForce administrators (GSA's), one of which is Rox.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But there also are FanForce administrators (GSA's), one of which is Rox.

Right. And Rox is who I gave my password to in order to check the information. As I was saying, it was possible this was when he was regional, rather than global, but I don't recall.

I, of course, changed my password to a generic one before giving it to him, and changed it back afterwards.

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    dp4m you are correct, I was only a manager when that happen, now I can just check your user details if the need would arise. Back then I couldn't access that Admin option.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    dp4m you are correct, I was only a manager when that happen, now I can just check your user details if the need would arise. Back then I couldn't access that Admin option.

Right, hence I left myself that out. I seemed to recall that was the case, but couldn't remember. Then you were promoted and got delusions of grandeur, thought you were a Jedi Knight, etc, etc... ;) :D

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    PadmeBra answered it quite well. Only administrators have access to passwords. But we take accusations via PM seriously. We only log in another user's account infrequently and as a last resort.

14. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    But, you have to have that user's permission first, right? An admin can't look up user A's password only because user B asks them to, they would need user A's permission first, correct?

- Rani

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Correct, we only go into a person's account with their expressed permission, except in one or two extreme circumstances, the most notable being cases of stalking and severe mass flaming via PMs.

16. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Usually, if someone is getting harrassing PMs, then the Admin checks the PMs that were recieved with the complaining user's permission. Admins, from what I can tell, seem to have more important things to do rather than randomly checking people's passwords for their own amusement.

[Mulder] Then again, maybe they don't... [/Mulder]

:p

17. Jobo

Aug 14, 2000
    I know I'd be entertained by the passwords :D "Let's see here... starwars... damn, crappy password, I'll just change it for him [face_devil] "
    _jOBO

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Hey, Jobo, how'd you guess my password?

19. Ebenezer_TK_Scrooge

Ebenezer_TK_Scrooge Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2002
    Personally I dont think anyone should be able to see yer password.

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I have a quick question as regards priate messages, which I hope an admin can answer for me. Is there a way to find out who sent what PM to whom *without* accessing the sender's account?

Thanks,

*Derisa*

21. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    This makes me kinda paranoid. [face_plain]

I always thought PM's were supposed to be the safest way of communicating besides email? [face_shocked]So there's members-Admins or not, that can view them?

22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    They don't just read your PM's to entertain themselves. They only read the PM's if there have been complaints about abuse of the system.

23. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    What about if you just wanna have your PM's cleared out? Like, I know I've thought of a few situations that if case be, I'd have to let someone else log in for me (If I lost internet connection for a week or so (God forbid), I'd want a friend of mine to log in and read some stuff for me, but I wouldn't want him reading old PM's of mine (Well, there are only a few I'd rather him not see). But, if you asked an Admin, could they log in and delete the PM's for you?

JPK

24. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    There is no function to delete old PM's. I can delete your entire account periodically if you want. ;)

25. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    _Derisa_Ollamhin_

I have a quick question as regards priate messages, which I hope an admin can answer for me. Is there a way to find out who sent what PM to whom *without* accessing the sender's account?

They have to know everyone the PM was sent to. One or two people receiving it cant verify who sent it, but not everyone that got it. That means they need to find out from the Sender.
    Considering that the admins would only be accessing the PMs when a TOS violation has occurred, the sender might not be the most trustworthy person to ask. That means the admins would have to access their accounts to find out who they sent the PM to. They could ask, but they might not get an honest answer.

SabreGiett7, members cant know exactly what the admins are doing in our account when they check for PM violations, what PMs they are checking, etc. There would be no evidence. We have to just take them on their word that they arent going to look at anything else. And you have to figure that given they're at the top of the hierarchy here, that they might have a lot of things to do, and therefore wouldnt want to waste their time going through someone elses PMs just for kicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.