main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Can new works be published in the "Legends" universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColtonCM, Jul 17, 2015.

1. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

Maybe when Mustafar freezes over

I feel like some people in this thread are falling to the nonsensically-optimistically hopeful side of the force, rather than sticking with the sensible side

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    IMO, TCW isn't as much inconsistent as it is forced in the timeline. As I said, it doesn't fit flawlessly with episodes II and III. It's pretty easy to tell that TCW was made after episode III and that they made stuff up as they went, making the transition from episode II to III a bit "rough" to watch, instead of "smoothly" and "naturally" bridging episodes II and III.

Valin__Kenobi and wmu'14 like this.
  3. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    A non-contradictory part that makes me not feel it's a good transition also is that it seems like we're thrust into it in the middle of the war. There's no transition in the characters and their places from Episode II. We don't see how the galaxy starts to respond. Heck, Anakin already has his scar and he's a Knight. They've already met Ventress. etc etc

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Genndy Tartakovsky's 2003 Clone Wars microseries helps bridge the transition from AOTC to TCW.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - everything up to the moment Padme gives Anakin Artoo. As long as the appearance of the Jedi Interceptor is ignored (in TCW they don't appear till season 5).

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  6. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Which was VERY GOOD!!!

7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I found the whole thing so unnecessary. We'd had a TV show, plus video games, plus various books and comics, and of course the two movies. For a period of time lasting only three or four years, the Clone Wars was already very well covered - and just ahead after ROTS was this wide open twenty-year period just waiting to be explored. I always thought it defied reason that the powers-that-be would wait a decade before finally getting into that, but insist on going back and doing more and more and more Clone Wars instead.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I actually think TCW did gell with Ep II and III pretty well. Sure you can go on and on about Ahsoka's existence if you want (which I am sure is the driving force for all those who say it doesn't fit well) but TCW did greatly improve Anakin's character. TCW showed us the side of Anakin that Obi Wan talked about in the OT but was never developed upon in the PT because they had to spend all their time setting up the fall.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    hopefully Disney deletes everything after The Unifying Force and then add novels bettering that universe. id buy it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

This just shows how unorganized the groups asking for more legends is. Some say they want legends back but nothing back after NJO. Others say they want it back in its entirety. I think if they ever do infact start legends back up the same exact people will be griping because they didn't get what they wanted.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    TCW gave us a completely different character from the Anakin in the movies. Sure, TCW Anakin is more likeable than the one in the movies because he is drastically different. Continuity wise that is a bit problematic. We go from a very conflicted and emotionally unstable individual in Ep II, to a more mature, cocky and confident one in TCW and in ROTS we get the same emotionally unstable person from Ep II just like that. Almost as if Anakin has a split personality disorder.

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't think the Anakin we saw at the very beginning of ROTS was too far off from what we saw in TCW, honestly. During the opening battle he was cocky, confident, and mature, or at least was intended to be (whether or not Hayden Christensen's performance adequately portrayed those qualities is admittedly debatable). He became emotionally unstable in ROTS after he killed Dooku, found out Padme was pregnant, and was denied a rank of Master, but Anakin's frame of mind at the movie's beginning wasn't really all that different from TCW.

Bear in mind also that canonically we don't know how exactly much time passed between the "Clone Wars Legacy" events and the beginning of ROTS, nor what else he might have experienced in that time (if anything) to push him closer to instability.

spicer and JediMatteus like this.
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

probably. But Crucible was so horrible, there has to be a better ending than that

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, at the rate we are going, any new EU material isn't very likely to be something I wanted, because the post-NJO made virtually everything I wanted impossible.

16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm very sorry, but I have to side with jamminjedi23 on this one; this piecemeal acceptance of the old EU flies in the face of what nearly every pro-BBL person on these threads has been saying. No one has been pro-BBL on the merits of any individual part of the EU, but on the merits of the whole; by that reckoning, who CARES if Crucible was good or not? It's Legends, and if you want Legends back then you need to be willing to accept ALL of it, or NONE of it. Otherwise you simply validate the ones who feel they're better off without it altogether.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That harkens back to an observation I made over in the BBL thread (which goes to show how eerily similar the discussion here is becoming) to the effect that most people who want new Legends stories don't just want new Legends stories. "Legends" is a broad, deep universe of material that new content is still being produced for, so if all they wanted was new Legends material, they've already got it. What most people seem to be asking for when they say they want "new Legends stories" is specifically a continuation of the characters and storylines of the post-NJO period, done in a way that either ignores, "fixes," or outright repudiates the "Denningverse." And with a demand that specific, it's a mystery to me why the BBL community isn't wholeheartedly embracing fanfic as a way to continue that subset of the Legendsverse and make it their own.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    And then everyone complaining about the people who like Legends wanting more will keep pat themselves on the back for being so smart about why it's a bad thing for Disney to give in to consumer demands of a major fan demographic instead of just printing more self-contained stories set in between ANH and ESB as the Holy Story Group decrees.

Valin__Kenobi, Zeta1127 and Zorrixor like this.
  19. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    But it's not just the Denning stories that they have to be able to say yes to: they have to also say yes to The Glove of Darth Vader books; they have to say yes to Jaxxon the green rabbit; they have to say yes to EVERYTHING they consider questionable, include ALL of it in the collective concept called Legends that they seek to defend. If they're willing to defend some of it but not all of it, then how much is it really worth defending?

ATimson likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I wasn't aware that one has to personally approve of all works in a given franchise to want it to continue. (Marvel Comics is living proof of that). In fact, I would say that blind acceptance of a body of work, no matter what the flaws, is much worse.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I abhor Order of the Phoenix, am I not allowed to want more Harry Potter books?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    The operative word is ACCEPT, not necessarily APPROVE. The difference is profound.

What I mean by this is simple: the stated goal of the movement is to resume the EU where it left off. If that's the case, then they CAN'T just arbitrarily choose a point PRIOR to where it left off, erase everything from that point forward, and THEN resume it. If they want to read the Sword of the Jedi books, for instance, they have to accept that the Denning stories - regardless of what anyone thinks about their quality or lack thereof - came before the Sword stories and will still exist in that continuity. They can't have it both ways; they can't erase everything post-NJO and restart from there. It has to be from Crucible on, or it just doesn't work. It isn't resuming the EU where it left off in that case; it's just instituting a heavily-edited, idealized, imaginary EU that never existed in life. It's also essentially doing to others the very thing they resent Disney/LFL for doing to them: taking some story within that continuity that some certainly liked and declaring it nonexistent - and dismissing the feelings of those who liked it as being unimportant and irrelevant.

They don't HAVE to like or personally approve of those stories that came before Sword of the Jedi, but if they want to read Sword, then yes, they DO have to ACCEPT that those stories exist; there's no workaround for that. That's not remotely the same thing as being a fan of the Denning stories because one HAS to; it's just granting their rightful place in the EU, for better or for worse. It's living and letting live, pure and simple.

You can't wish for an idealized EU in which you pick and choose which stories come back and which stay gone. That's what a head canon is for. But if you want the Legends back, no, you don't have the right to also demand the extra luxury of a PERFECTED version of Legends, or else it ISN'T Legends, is it?

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Restarting from the end of TUF, wrapping up unfinished plot lines from the Denningverse. I'm fine with whatever. I can accept TUF being the end but with DNT/LOTF/FOTJ/etc just hanging out there begs to be answered imo. The books are out there. I just can't leave them hanging. And I want something that covers the gap from TUF to the Legacy comics.

After ROTS came out I was raring to go for the Dark Times. The Clone Wars started and ended, Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, the Jedi Order was destroyed and Obi-Wan and Yoda went into exile, the Republic became the Empire, Luke and Leia were born and so on and so forth. Keep the momentum rolling! Not rehash the CW for another 6 years! The Dark Times series came out 9 years after ROTS did. Momentum lost. Why should I care now? Heck Rebels was closer to ANH than was closer to ROTS. Continue showing Quinlan Vos, K'kruhk, Dass Jennir, Tra Saa, Tholme, whatever other Jedi survived, how Obi-Wan was handling Tatooine, Bail and Leia on Alderaan, the other Rebel leaders, former Separatist members, clones, Palpatine, Vader, the Republic becoming an Empire, etc.

That is exactly what it means! :p
    In seriousness, if the book doesn't completely ruin the experience of everything else in the series and makes you swear off the series entirely, you are allowed to want for more entries.

24. DarthNexys

DarthNexys Jedi Knight

Jul 3, 2015
    I think it would be particularly clever to make a "canon" story that admits its contents are just "legends." Not sure what the proper plot would be, but that would allow an official story that acknowledges things like Thrawn and Darth Caedus and Palpatine's clones, even if only to immediately follow up with characters saying things like, "Of course, these are only stories."

Come to think of it, that sort of thing would be right up Matthew Stover's alley.

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Of course you are. It's when you want a Potter series in which Order of the Phoenix has been excised from the series, and the stories from Phoenix onward erased or rewritten to suit your personal taste, in addition to just wanting more stories, that you're asking for too much. Because whatever stories follow from where that series ended, they will and must take place in a universe in which Phoenix also exists. You can certainly abhor Phoenix to your heart's content, and you can certainly want more Potter stories; but you can't ask Rowling or the publisher to officially remove Phoenix from the series to suit you; it's only in your personal head canon that you can do that.

That's roughly the equivalent of wanting more Legends stories published officially, but wanting a significant portion of Legends stories, from the end of NJO onward, removed and/or ignored officially at the same time. You can do that in your head canon; you CAN'T make Disney/LFL do that too.