main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can only a Jedi Master \ very powerful Sith lift very heavy things using the force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    This idea primarily comes from the Dooku - Yoda battle of AOTC... Yoda lifting the heavy pillar to save Obi-Wan and Anakin, Dooku tearing off chunks of roof and heavy stuff. Of course there's the famous X-wing scene where Yoda lifts it out of the swamp.

I guess the question is, if Obi-Wan or Anakin had not been injured, would they have been able to stop the fall of the pillar Dooku sends crashing down? Would they have been able to stop the chunks of rock, or the heavy machinery Dooku sends flying around? It doesn't seem to be as easy as pie for Yoda, but he manages just fine. Would Obi-Wan or Anakin have been able to catch or stop these objects?

2. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I don't know about Anakin, since he was just a padawan, but I guess Obi would. But then again, since Ani was very sensitive to the Force, maybe he could too. Good question, though. :)

3. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Size matters not! ;)

Do or Do Not :p

4. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Yip size matters not, but what about weight? :p

5. SupremeMasterJedi

SupremeMasterJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2003
    A JEDI MASTER could have indeed stopped all those items, or with the exception of the roof falling, simply moved...

At the time, Obi-Wan is only a Knight so his skills are not as polished or advanced... even a JEDI MASTER has limits, as Yoda acknowledges to the Count...

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    The way I see it, it takes more concentration and focus to lift really large/heavy objects. A Jedi Master has enough experience and that sorta thing to develop such powers. And I don't think Obi-Wan could've lifted that pillar bacause he was hurt, and Anakin had his arm chopped off so he probably couldn't concentrate either. If they weren't under it and weren't injured they probably could've grabbed it before it fell.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It take time and practice to quickly snap into a concentration deep enough to move something that large...

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Couldn't you take the length, width, and height of the object, use a rough estimate for a solid metal object, and use that to give a rough estimate of how much Yoda can manipulate with The Force?

9. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    It depends on what area of the Force you have focused on in training:

Physical Force training would make it easy to lift and move around large objects such as pillars, chunks of rock, etc. because they are not living, but rather Physical forms of the Force. However, because of this extremem general concentration, it would make it very hard to lift and manipulate smaller things, such as pebbles.

Living Force training would also deal in this way, as it would focus on the connection of the Force with the living, and pertaining to current patterns of energy. This too would make moving large objects easier, but small objects harder.

The Unifying Force would be the generalization of it all: creating a balance between the connections of small and large objects alike. Because of this, there is an equilibrum among exertion of energy in order to move such objects.

Now, of course, a Jedi/Sith Master (because of their extensive training/knowledge of the Force) would be able to use all of these forms of the Force and put them in effect to make all objects easier to move and operate.

In AOTC, Yoda seems to be using a large amount of energy on lifting and hovering the large pillar: you have to take a look at the pillar and think- how much does it weigh? how much matter does it contain? what is its link to the Force?

With those questions answered, you would notice that it contains a very sizable amount of matter (making it weigh very much as well), and that, because it has a severed connection to the Force, it would require much concentration to lift and control such an object.

Of course this same attribute applies to the X-wing in ESB, yet again you must remember that the swamp was weighing the ship down and Yoda had aged much since being a Master in the Order.

And so, with the facts put in front of onself, I would come to the conclusion that it would take much concentration and focus to lift and move large objects. I think that Obi-Wan could have done what Yoda did in AOTC because of his extreme concentration, but only barely.

Anakin would not have even come close: his focus is on becoming a powerful Jedi and, well, on Padme (leading to the birth of Darth Vader). Because of this, his concentration would not have been as well processed to be able to make such an action through the Force.

:)

10. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Well, Unifying Force reminds me of Quantum physics and superstring theory. Very cool.:) Super strings all over the place in the universes. Make that universes.:D We can't see thyem, but they are there, they interconnect things in a way that still mystify physcists and quantum phsycists. it IS only an embryonic sciense.,shrugs>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.