main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can PVC be easily painted?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ucahg, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucahg

ucahg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Hi,

I made my lightsaber blade out of PVC, and I was wondering if it's easy to paint, or if problems arise. I thought I heard that it's hard to paint, in which case what should I do? Colored electrical tape?

Thanks,

2. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Do what we did. Wrap it in cloth tape and then paint it.

Sage H.

3. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Or simply use colored tape.

4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If you're patient and work in half-coats you can get it on there.

What I mean is, don't try to paint a coat the first time through, but spray lightly so it kind of stipples on. Let that dry some, then stipple on some more. The paint will slowly give itself something to stick to, and once you've got a coat like this, add a couple more with normal spray painting.

Works nicely on aluminum too.

M. Scott

5. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    like any surface, PVC requires preparation before painting... most "raw" PVC (the straight from Home Depot kind) is usually somewhat dirty. even if it doesn't look it, it usually has residual oil, dirt, dust, etc on it. also, PVC is VERY smooth, usually these factors are enough to cause paint to chip, peel, blister, and all sorts of other wondrous problems... so, here's what you do:

when preparing to make your saber hilt, wash your length of PVC thoroughly and dry it completely. once that's done, take some steel wool and very lightly brush it over the surface... you don't want to press to hard, because that will scratch it up too much... all you want is to rough the surface up just enough for the paint to really stick. so VERY lightly run the steel wool over the pipe, then wipe it down with a clean dry cloth... then paint...

the first coat should be good enough to make your hilt nice and smooth again... if not, you can add a couple of coats, and then you can buff it if necessary...

well, i hope this helps...

-B

6. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I'd agree with the formentioned painting method, however, pvc, even in short segments, has a decent tendancy to bend. I build architectural fountains in my summer job, and while goofing off at the end of the day three summers ago, discovered this. It isn't impossible to use, or even discouraged, but I would give a thought to at least considering something a little more solid. Wooden dowels, though constantly mentioned, work very well and even have the required surface to hold paint well.

~DK~

7. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    We just sprayed our PVC blades with flourescent (sp?) spray paint. Stayed on fine. Got scratched up good during shooting, but it was still much easier to see on tape than just a white/gray blur.

To prevent the PVC from bending, we put wood dowels into the PCV.

Have fun!

8. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    I was going to say the same thing about putting dowels into the pvc, PadawanNick. Works great and keeps the pvc from bending.

Sage H.

9. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    All the paint I've used has come off very quickly but using a gloss coat over it might help. However, I still recommend using brightly colored duct tape.

10. Darth_Synical

Darth_Synical Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    I recommend any kind of Metal/Alluminum poles. For one thing they are easier to wave around. I find that the PVC is way to light. And with the poles being metal, your likely to lerarn the choregraphy faster. The benifit is of course you'll get hit them of course, teaching you to pay attention and try harder lol. My friend had this unfortunate experience thank god his counterpart didnt follow through. After that, the following take was perfect. Heh with pain comes understanding. But dont be stupid.

11. DarthMike3

DarthMike3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2002
    Bout a week ago I bought some spray paint at the same time as pvc from Home Depot, brought it home, and had no problems just spray pianting the pvc. No scratches, looks fine. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.