main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Can someone explain the Lott Dod thing to me?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Why not hanged?[face_laugh] or electrocuted to death that is more SW-like[face_skull]

But problem is there that senate needs to accept that and all senators won't -there is for sure one 'senator Windrider' shouting there "Kill the separatist!" but then what why Palpatine would kill one of his most important allies- no- he says if senate accepts that action Republic can commit it- and wow senate won't accept- only way out is to give someone power to rule over the senate- but isn't that exactly what is difference between Republic and Empire[face_whistling]
    You are just like Anakin in AOTC- if people don't agree someone should make them to- someone wise.....

Anyway TF is not just enslaving and killing innocent civilians- it is feeding them as well- many worlds are depending on TF-trade and casting TF out of senate would mean loss of all TF-trade and therefore death of millions of civilians because republic would be unable to hire enough private companies to compensate the loss of TF-trade... especially on the Outer Rim- (We saw how interested Senate was about Rodia) and many planets would starve ....of course for 'good purpose' but 'good means' don't really give any food to starving people- and well... i would suddenly think that joining CIS would be nice idea- CIS have no problem with TF- it would mean that join CIS or die for the Republic.... that would be great victory for CIS and well... republic could get over it and win the war... but it would be huge risk and Palpatine is not taking it neither are any senator who is realistic....

You know in SW nice guys will ultimately always win[face_monkey] accept it or leave this franchise....

And don't worry- mighty Empire will nationalise the evil Trade Federation- all hail the Emperor Palpatine!!! [face_laugh] Not really... that guy is quite evil you know- but he does things just like Windrider suggests -kill the problematic persons....

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think the fact the Trade Federation is neutral may have something to do with this. Given the semi-independence of the GR union I think that it is obvious, at least during war, neutral states are allowed to speak in their own interests. Thus I don?t think this would be considered treason.

I believe, as with Mandalore, neutral systems can be represented in the Senate however speak independently of the Republic. They can probably also be critical of the Republic. Given the Trade Federations neutrality it was probably legal for them to speak independently with their own interests.

For instance if war broke out between a Federalized UN and another group of nations, would it not be acceptable for the World Bank (something which may be neutral) to point out implications of certain alliances. It is, after all, their job to retain neutrality.

3. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Nationalize the corporations might prove to be as difficult as winning this whole war. After all, the Republic is not able to retake the Confederate worlds who left the Republic and founded the CIS, so why on earth should they be able to seize all the corporation assets, planets, fleets, and bank accounts? We don't know the size of their wealth, but it has to be considerable.

And the strength of their 'neutral' trade fleet combined with the 'extremist fleets' who already joined the CIS, and the regular CIS troops, could prove to be way too powerful for the Republic.

So the Republic might be actually unable to do such a thing, or fear to provoke a devastating reaction on the side of the corporations. Combined with the fact that many Republic and neutral worlds are dependent on the corporations to exist, this actually could make the corporations completely untouchable.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Excellent points- Palpatine is not allowing that to happen- he needs TF to his plans and he needs it on both sides for now....

5. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    It would entail a lot of killing. A whole lot of killing that most of the spineless Republic is incapable of, but is absolutely necessary. And since the Empire managed it mere months after the end of the war, with largely the same equipment as the Republic, it's not impossible. They just require the ruthlessness to get the job done, which the Republic did not have. Also, the Republic should be drafting native populations to make up the difference. This would give them an edge militarily, which they could leverage against the corporations. Otherwise, they could undercut the TF and start their own trading network. If any senator refuses, they are immediately imprisoned.

It can be done. The Republic is just lacks the will.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    No- republic lacks the dictator - palpatine made senate to be spineless so he could take over..... whining about Republic being corrupted is just odd it's like whining about sith being evil- Republic was organised so that corruption managed to grew and this moral spine disappeared- and it was Palpatine who uses all that and makes it worse when he can- so only way out would be Republic being reorganised to the Empire- but you're suggesting re-organisation as well- so you're suggesting Empire- you just want another Emperor-

7. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Falor,

your view of the Republic is just wrong. Of course, the Republic could react as you suggest - if it was not the Republic which is described in Star Wars, but another fascist type of Republic. The Republic is a benevolent republic, there are laws in this Republic which allow the government to arrest or assassinate politicians who might be 'traitors'. Even if they were, guys like Lott Dod would be protected by their diplomatic immunity, until the Senate revokes it - if the Senate is allowed to do such a thing.

But maybe some things you demand is actually going to happen during this series. We know that the 'neutral' Trade Federation world of Cato Neimoidia is going to become a battlefield later in the Clone Wars. This only is going to make sense if the Republic declares war on the Neimoidians, or if the Trade Federation openly joins the CIS. Right now Republic and Confederate representatives more or less openly meet on Cato Neimoidia. This apparently is going to change eventually.

The Empire only managed all of this because Palpatine was able to take away the firepower (i.e. the droids) from the Confederacy, and made himself a dictator, able to change the law at will. Backed by his clone soldiers he could do what he want, and did so. That is no way a democracy can or should go. Your Republic would be not better than Palpatine's Empire, and would thus be just as disgusting.

The Republic is drafting native populations, just as the Confederacy is (Geonosians, and Mina Bonteri's husband are proof of that), but that is not going to make much difference, it seems.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    totally agreed- when Gunray was killed and Sidious ordered droids deactivated- neimoidians were tired of war- they wanted peace and Empire came and "saved" them from "separatist oppression"- i don't know what happened to Dod but Gunray's loss was such a great strike there was no spine left in TF to resist Empire anymore and no will to fight after all that destruction- remember in ROTS there is war on Cato Neimodia- so either TF at some point openly jumps to CIS or Republic starts to act more hostile way towards it.....

In TFU2 we see what happened to neimoidians in "glorious new order" they get more punishment than they deserved- secondclass citizens worshipping their Moff Tarko like little god- they have to officially admit they're not smart enough to rule their own planet and how Empire saved them from evil separatist oppression.... so don't worry Falor seps will have a grim fate :p

9. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    No, I want a Republic that doesn't act like the Swiss in every conflict. Just for once, I'd like to see a Republic that puts aside some of the pettiness to get down to business. It seems that this show likes to confuse benevolence with weakness and inaction. I actually don't like the Empire, because they went way, way beyond pragmatism, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Benevolence doesn't mean you're like Jesus! The best government is one that is benevolent, but with a blade ready to fight to the last man when the chips are down. The Republic lasted for millennia. It takes serious balls for a civilization to last a few centuries on one planet. The Republic in its heyday must have been like Ancient Rome on steroids with regards to its determination, because twenty five thousand years is nothing to dismiss. Once, just once, I'd like to see a Republic official who isn't a.) corrupt; b.) lawful stupid; or c.) pacifist. Just ONCE.

That's not fascist, that's good sense, damn it. Don't bring in Godwin any time someone has a less than stalwartly ideal opinion of what the Republic should and must be. Democracy should not be impotent either. Read some Machiavelli before you come to me with fairy tale nonsense about everyone working together in a perfect pacifist society and skipping in dewy meadows. It's fairly obvious from not just this show, but every Star Wars medium to date that the Galaxy is largely a crap place to live - wide eyed idealists will get trampled upon by people who know how the world works and who know what they're doing. It's strength, cunning, power, persuasiveness, determination, and bravery that enable one to survive. The Jedi learned that the hard way. The Republic learned that the hard way. The people learned that the hard way. That doesn't mean the Republic is hopeless. But it takes more than democracy to get i

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.