main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can someone please answer this for me re: ESB (if you know!)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ed-A_1978, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed-A_1978

Ed-A_1978 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    In the original version of ESB, Vader says to one of his Imperial aides: "Bring my shuttle", after he loses Luke. In the SE, this is changed (rather naffly IMHO) to: "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival". Can anyone tell me why GL changed it for the SE? I take it the changed dialogue remains on the DVD.

2. Handmaiden-

Handmaiden- Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    I don't know why, but IMO it was a poor choice to change it.
    The "Bring my shuttle" line was delivered so well; Vader nearly chokes the words out; you can tell he's very upset about what just happened with Luke.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The "Bring my shuttle" line was superior (thanks in part to Vader's pissed-offedness), but needed to be changed because Lucas inserted the new scene of Vader walking to his shuttle (the problem would become "why would he ask them to bring it if it's right in front of him?"), thus the line was changed to it's current, inferior, incarnation.

4. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    Maybe(hopefully) they'll fix it on the DVDs. That line and Luke's girly yell need to go.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Sounds like at least one of your wishes will come true.

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I actually like the new line, I don't get why people complain about it.

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It's also worth noting that the line is in fact deliverd by James Earl Jones rather than a sound alike as is commonly believed. Ben Burtt lifted an unused line from audio recorded for A New Hope and inserted it into the Special Edition cut. The fact that it was recorded several years before and on different equipment than the dialogue used in Empire accounts for the tonal differences.

And I agree, the "Bring my shuttle!" line is far superior.

On a related note, Luke's "You're lucky you don't taste very good" line was replaced by Burtt because the alternate line we here in the S.E. "You were lucky to get out of there" was a higher quality recording. He never stopped to think that he was replacing one of the film's most loved lines.

8. Trebius

Trebius Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2002
    Maybe(hopefully) they'll fix it on the DVDs. That line and Luke's girly yell need to go.

I'm pretty sure that whilst Luke's girly scream is gone the Bring my shuttle line is still in there...

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I don't care about the line itself. But I don't like the way Vader's voice sounds.

10. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    In the original version, Vader says "Bring my shuttle" as he's walking through the landing platform door (presumably, he waited there until the shuttle arrived). Next, we saw him on his Star Destroyer, which was a bit of a jump.

A line recorded for ANH ("Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival")--or so Ben Burtt says--was used for the SE version of the scene, which goes over the top in showing Vader walking to his shuttle, the shuttle flying toward the Destroyer, and Vader exiting the shuttle.

What they should have done was leave in "bring my shuttle" and just add in the *one* shot of the shuttle *approaching* the Executor.

11. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    In the original version, Vader says "Bring my shuttle" as he's walking through the landing platform door (presumably, he waited there until the shuttle arrived). Next, we saw him on his Star Destroyer, which was a bit of a jump.

How is that a "bit of a jump"? He asks for his shuttle and than he's on the SSD. Not hard to figure out how he got there. We don't have to see it.

12. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I agree, the 'Bring my shuttle' line was better, but I had heard somewhere it got 'damaged' along the way (like Luke's orginal 'you're lucky you don't taste very good' to Artoo).

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>"You were lucky to get out of there" was a higher quality recording.<<

Well, he didn't specifically replace that line, it was already present on the alternate (but, as you point out, higher-quality) master he used to base the SE soundtrack on.

Incidently, "You were lucky to get out of there" was the line spoken/recorded on the set. "You're lucky you don't taste very good" was ADR'd.

14. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Anyone have an audio clip of the original "shuttle" line? It's been a long time since I've seen the OOT, and I don't remember how the original one sounds.

15. brick1974

brick1974 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003

Ah, I always thought the removal of "You're lucky you don't taste very good" was to foreshadow that Artoo was really a transformer with a rocket mode.

It turns out that the change may have inspired Lucas to decide that Artoo has always been able to fly.

Because the original line indicates that the creature didn't want to eat him, while the SE line implies that Artoo was responsible for his escape.

16. brick1974

brick1974 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003

It's been semi-confirmed (I don't know how drunk LukeJim was at the time :) ) that "Bring my shuttle" is NOT on the DVD.

I guess some people had a problem with Vader waiting for his shuttle, flying up to the Executor, and then getting to the bridge. Or maybe a problem understanding what was happening.

So they decided to connect the dots for these folks and show us Vader getting on the shuttle, flying up, getting off the shuttle (thanks, recycled ROTJ footage!)...and then magically traversing a good chunk of distance (docking bay to bridge on a SSD).

And as I've said before, not only did we lose the single most ticked-off line of Vader's, but Lucas (and Burtt, he's the editor for all this, right?) butchered one of John Williams' best pieces of music.

And if some of these original line recordings were damaged, why replace them with different lines? How hard would it be to get Jones or Hamill to redo those single lines?

17. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Aside from incorrectness, my biggest problem with the new line is that it sounds like James Earl Jones in any other role (i.e. playing someone with normal vocal organs who's not wearing a helmet). The mechanical effect that makes him Darth Vader is totally missing, so it sounds stupid.

18. AniKaufman

AniKaufman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't understand why people complain about Luke's "girly yell".Luke is ALL about girly/whiny/sissy!
    Watch ANH again,I did recently and I was blown away,I don't think he's got one line in the movie that doesn't come off like a whining sniveling little effeminate wuss.
    Then he gets a little better in ESB (but in moments of trauma he reverts to "sissy-boy whiner as in when Darth Vader tells him about their relationship....you think Han Solo would've cried like that if DV had said,"I'm your father Han."...no WAY)

Then in ROTJ,he's finally grown a pair so he starts wearing black and...no more sissy/girly/whiny screaming.
    See? it's perfect.

19. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    There is a moment in ANH when Luke doesn't sound girly/sissy/whiney:

"I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father."

20. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I think the "girly yell" weakens the scene. When faced with the choice of turning to the Dark Side or (possible) death with honor, he chose the latter. It shows that Luke had resigned to his fate and accepts it. The look on his face shows peace and resolve. And it shows character development from whiny wuss, to semi-competent and brash, to cool confident badass.

21. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I totally agree. And I'm really happy that they removed it (so long as LukeJim was in a drunken haze at that point :p)

22. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Can somone tell me which version I have got, It's got the alert my stardestroyer line in (which i think is ace), but it says special edition nowhere on it, also other things that were on the SE arent in there.

I'm so confused.

23. Handmaiden-

Handmaiden- Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    There is a moment in ANH when Luke doesn't sound girly/sissy/whiney:

There are MANY.

"I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you."

"I can't believe he's gone."

"How did my father die?"

"I only wish...Ben were here."

Shall I keep going?
    Please don't rain all over Luke. He's my favorite character in the entire saga!

24. AniKaufman

AniKaufman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2004
    obviously it's a matter of opinion.All those lines sounded dorky to me.HOWEVER,thank you,I was wrong.I DO like when he says that he wants to become a Jedi like his father before him.
    That's really cool actually,that resolve to become the new hope is the seed of coolness that'll ultimately reach it's fruition in ROTJ.

Must say though,when I was a kid,the ones who liked Luke best always were the ones to get beaten up....it was Han or Vader or pariah-status,lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.