1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (19th-21st June), Perth (26th-28th April)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (27th-28th June), Brisbane (19th-20th September)

Oceania Can someone please explain the rules of footy and how they relate to american footbal

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by beezel26, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    I am visiting Adelaide in September and I will some assitance in understanding this Footy you call it. I know its australian rules football but thats about it.

so if anyone knows american football could they explain the differences and the same thing so I can get the sport.

I want to enjoy the game and not get too confused.
  2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    AFL isn't as similar to grid iron as our NRL (National Rugby League) game is or even rugby union.

However, I'm not a footy fan in general, so I'll let some of the other guys here explain it since they could add some love.

And I'm sure wiki would be helpful.
  3. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Some basic things about AFL

There are four posts at each end of the field, if you kick the ball straight through the middle ones its a goal, if you kick it through the ones on the left or right or the ball hits the post it's a behind.

Goal = 6 points
    Behind = 1 point

To get the ball you either have it handballed to you (the handball action is a little like a volleyball spike, just with one hand) or you mark it (catch it) after someone kicks it to you...

Stuff that, watch this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TA4gmMvye5M
  4. Shadowfire Force Ghost

star 4
    Real men don't wear body armour on the football field.
  5. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
  6. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Aussie rules is the best game, wish I was still playing.

I still can't kick the ball straight though and I was full-back. 9 times out of 10 I did a banana kick.
  7. Dingo Chosen One

star 5
    As someone that runs an American Football club, I can categorically state that there are no similarities between that and AFL apart from the punter. Even then the style of kicking is fairly different.
  8. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Unfortunately for you the season will be mostly over, though if you're here in early September you can catch the finals.

As for the actual game mechanics, I think everyone else has described it better than I can. Rugby might be more your taste if you're after something like gridiron, but even then, there's some big differences.
  9. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    AFL players are a lot more balletic than rugby players who often look like the side of a truck. *thinking of Daniel Johns*

But that doesn't mean there aren't any bi buggers in AFL, think of big bad Barry Hall.
  10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Everybody can join him now! Join the Barry Hall Hall.

The Excitement Machine Machine lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.