main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Someone tel me what happend in the Dark Empire Series of Comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Qkey, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qkey

Qkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    HI all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what happend in the Dark Empeire Series and where I could get a set of the comics so I can read them myself. i would like to know everything and how it concets in with eposode III.

Bill

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    There's not really any connection to Episode III. Basically, the Emperor comes back, turns Luke to the Dark Side, then back again, some other random things like that.

3. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Here's what happens:

+ Palpy comes back
    + Luke turns to the dark side
    + Luke turns back to the light side
    + The World Devastators are introduced
    + Leia helps Luke out with Palpatine
    + Lost Jedi introduce themselves
    + Palpatine introduces a new Force power
    + Palpatine tries to send his Force and life essence into one of the Solo kids
    + Palpatine dies again

It's kinda cool, but a lot of people aren't into the series because it makes Vader's death pointless - he died while balancing the Force and with Palpatine coming back, it shows it was in vain.

They're fun and worth checking out - if you can find them.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Connection with ROTS?

Uh... like the Trilobite dude said, there's not much. Palpatine's in it. And so is Coruscant. And there's a battle over Coruscant. Other than that the connections are limited.

It's pretty much all about Palps cloning himself and retaking Coruscant. And then Leia has Jacen and Jaina. The bounty hunters fight Han... some guy makes a weapon of mass destruction and it gets destroyed... Luke saves the galaxy. Pretty much the usual same-old-same-old that happens in every story.

EDIT: ^ There you go.

5. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Dark Empire I and II aren't that difficult to find as they're not currently out of print. Empire's End, though, is quite rare. I made inquiries into getting it at a local bookstore and they said they could get me one but the place they'd order it from would charge about $100. One hundred dollars for 56 measly pages. That's about $1.80 per page :(

6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    $100????!!!???

Go E-Bay, man...

7. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
  8. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Dark Empire mostly ties in with Episode 3 by showing exactly what Palpatine meant by cheating death (transferring his "essence" into clone bodies).

However, I choose to believe it's just clones that were programmed with his memories.

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    My local library had a copy of the Empires End TPB. It disappeared after a while... [face_plain]

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003

Darn! I read the first half of that and was planning on asking you where your library was....

You don't happen to know where that book disappeared to, eh?

11. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    How much do you wanna bet that it's the one on the link listed Ebay auction?

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    *cough* Luke never goes to the Dark Side *cough*

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Dark Empire mostly ties in with Episode 3 by showing exactly what Palpatine meant by cheating death (transferring his "essence" into clone bodies).<<

Not exactly- Palpatine (and subsequently Vader) sought a different power over death. Between trilogies, Palpatine kills a Jedi Master (Aska Boda, I believe is the name) and claims a holocron in his possession. From that holocron he learns of the transfer essence technique.

So, it's not quite what he was looking for, but it was a good alternative for him to pursue since now he could fully explore the darkside without worrying about keeping in-check any corrosive effects such powerful usage might normally cause to his body.

In that way, Dark Empire's only real connection to Episode III is the thematic continuation of the Sith's desire for immortality.

You should be able to find or order Dark Empire & Dark Empire II from any book store or online at amazon, etc.

14. DarthRavenus

DarthRavenus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Boba Fett also makes a return!

The Emperor in ROTS never learnt the Power to cheat death,as he mentions to the newly christened Darth Vader ,"Its a power which only one ever achieved,but together we can discover it"...something along those lines,implying that Lord Sidious had no such power,but sought it aswel as Vader did!

But in the comics Darth Tyranus also used clones of himself.

15. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Clones of himself... yes.

But Palpy had "dead" clones that his spirit took over.

Big difference.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I shouldn't have bothered with the 2nd, but I wanted to see what the pro vs con hype was about regarding Dark Empire.

17. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Anakin, you mean. [face_peace]

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Actually Dark Empire/3 was my very first comic ever, not that I knew what SW was much then, or what was going on. A water world under attack, Leia worried over her brother, brother holographing to her at the end.

But you would have been shocked to hear the zee droid say Fett lives, and then having to wait the next issue. As issue finales go, it was a good one.

19. MrDuke

MrDuke Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2004
    Ya know I think EIII really validated the Dark Empire Series. Alot of people hate the idea of a clone emperor, but it really kind of makes sense. Cloning has been a part of the Star Wars universe ever since 1977 when Obi Wan first mentioned the Clone Wars to Luke in A New Hope. Cloning becomes even more of a standard in episodes I, II, and III. In episode III we see that gaining immortality is a key Sith ideal. Could it be that Pluageus did know the secret to immortality, and perhaps it was the same technique Sidious learns. The way I see it Pluageus could have promised to teach this skill to Sidious, of course this was a lie. Why would a master teach such an important skill to an apprentice. He was probably confident that Sidious would not kill him without learning the trick. Sidious realized he was being strung along and decided to go ahead and kill Pluageus knowing he would never turn over the secret and being confident that he could figure it out on his own. In Dark Empire Palpitine states he can enter any host and displace the original personality. This could have been the technique used by Pluageus, diplacing the identities of others. I would assume this would be more difficult than entering a mindless clone. Once Palpitine finally learned the skill from that unfortunate Jedi he probably came up with the idea for the clones rather and taking over a host and fighting with the original identity. He didn't realize that the clone bodies that were somewhat removed from the force would burn out so fast until he was already in of them. To me the cloning concept and the quest for eternal life set up in EI, II and III support DE. Alot of people hate the world devestators and galaxy gun, but super weapons have always been part of the Star Wars universe. The galaxy gun makes more sense to me than the Dearh Star. It can stay in the relative safety of the core systems and strike at any target in the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.