main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Can stormtrooper armor actually protect against anything at all?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Nov 29, 2014.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Not that I'm being a Trollinator but Stormtrooper Armor must surely protect against H2H combat eh? Well punches, kicks, 'weapon-free' attacks? And certainly to an extent against flames, poisons, chemical agents (better than getting it on your bare exposed flesh/skin or face eh?) and well - depending on what the body-glove is made of and such - well to an extent against bladed weapons - well regular knives or swords? Or then again if the sword was of a certain alloy, grade, cutting materials ... and lessens impact from projectiles, and ofc from angry mob riots - so suppose they throw improvised explosives or rocks and rubble at you eh?

And certainly better than having no armor at all - and unless you're like the Hulk, Wolverine, Deadpool, Darkseid, Thanos, Thor, Juggernaut, Kenpachi Zaraki, Doomsday, Godzilla, Destoroyah, King Ghidorah, Intangible Wraiths, Superman, Sentry, Silver Surfer, or just anyone with ridiculous amounts of durability and insane regeneration 100% instant guarantee - it is best to have a form of protection than no protection eh?

And then again its like a bike helmet or even police body armor or protection - its not gonna always be 100% guaranteed to be impervious to the risk or hazard but it does mitigate the risk of damage - better than taking a crippling direct lethal blow with absolutely no protection and full exposure - and unless you're darn dead lucky or just like the characters to name a few I mentioned - a bike helmet lessens the chances of a severe head injury than riding with no bike helmets ... and police body armor - well - it will lessen the impact but the spreading of the impact - and such depending on the bullet and velocity and firearm make - it will still hurt and give you a sore/bruised muscle the next day or a bit of a knocking ... but better than getting shot exposed in the unprotected areas then eh?

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I find the stark contrast of weaponry vs armor in Star Wars to be interesting. On one side, we have energy weapons (very futuristic). But on the other, we have clunky, heavy armor. I can imagine that before energy weapons were invented (in universe), they would wear high-tech, maneuverable armor. But with the advent of energy weapons, it's almost as if armor technology had to take a step back and go back to the age of the knight, because the super maneuverable armor couldn't protect them from energy weapons.

James T Kirk, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  3. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I always thought the only points behind the Stormtrooper armour were: anti-individualism and intimidation of citizens

4. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    I hear it's good for protecting against grease splatter in the kitchen...but I wouldn't wanna put that to the test ;)

But it was pretty typical of film and television, up to that point, to have pretty useless baddies. The way the Ewoks were able to take the stormtroopers out so easily may be pretty ridiculous now, but if you watch older stuff you'll see it was just kinda the norm. The bad guys, the henchmen that is, would get tripped and that some how would be enough to keep them down.

But I guess we'll see if the armour has advanced at all, and is for anything more than intimidation, in these next films.

5. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Well - surely Stormtrooper armor is definitely better than having unprotected and exposed flesh to pretty much anything eh? And surely Stormtrooper armor is also good against:

1.) Fists in a h2h fight ...
    2.) Insect bites/small animal bites/scratches
    3.) Rocks thrown at you ...
    4.) Certain bladed objects - that is - like small knives or stakes or something like that provided it wasn't super super strong or sharp ...
    5.) Baseball bats?

6. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

1.) Fists in a h2h fight .....as long as the other guy/gal doesn't land a punch
    2.) Insect bites/small animal bites/scratches .....the smell of the armour apparently actually attracts these things, but your right, as long as its smaller than a house cat you should be safe
    3.) Rocks thrown at you .....definitely not
    4.) Certain bladed objects - that is - like small knives or stakes or something like that provided it wasn't super super strong or sharp .....it's good against plastic cutlery
    5.) Baseball bats?.....have you ever seen a light bulb get dropped onto concrete? Looks about the same.

7. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello again!

Apologies if I'm being a Trollinator again but let's take a look shall we?

1.) Well - really? Surely wearing Storm-trooper armor and getting punched and kicked - the armor must protect you better and absorb some impact compared to otherwise or IF you were fully exposed and punched in the abdomen or face or such eh? I mean unless you were Hulk, Wolverine, Deadpool, Darkseid, Thanos, Thor, Juggernaut, Kenpachi Zaraki, Doomsday, Godzilla, Destoroyah, King Ghidorah, Intangible Wraiths, Superman, Sentry, Silver Surfer, or just anyone with ridiculous amounts of durability and insane regeneration 100% instant guarantee - it is best to have a form of protection than no protection eh? And surely the punches and kicks against armor would not do as much damage compared to that on bare unprotected flesh right?
    2.) Yup ... well - I'd laugh to see a mosquito or spider or fly or a venomous snake try its like trying to puncture the armor and body-glove areas ...
    3.) Really? I mean sure it could still knock you out but still again better than getting a small boulder square to the face and suffering a horrific bruise or injury eh? And if it was still just a small pebble or stone and didn't strike you downright its again better than exposed flesh right?
    4.) No - I meant like a small dagger or a medium-sized knife or short-sword ... though a Ninja/Samurai Katana/Tachi could cleave it ...
    5.) You mean the baseball bat would splinter uselessly correct? I mean I had a look at the footage - seems the concrete had no problems ...

Then again what about:
    1.) Waterbaloons
    2.) Acids and chemicals - well better than getting a faceful of acid to your face or burns to your flesh right?
    3.) Weather; well there was the Snow-trooper armor eh? Better again than being stark nude in the cold cold cold ...
    4.) Walking in the woods or brush - atleast you won't need worry about getting scratched or pricked by brambles, thorns or sharp leaves ...
    5.) Small firecrackers?
    6.) Punji Stakes?