main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Can Vision Actually Improve Without Wearing Glasses?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I've heard vague anecdotal stories of people who had to start wearing glasses say that wearing them actually made their vision worse than it was before, but when they stopped wearing them their vision improved to the point where they either didn't need glasses anymore or only needed to wear them for reading or such.

Is there any truth to this or is it complete bull****?

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Yes and no, depends on their eye condition. I am nearsighted but only a little and I have poor glare reaction time. I had glasses but they kept getting destroyed at work. So I ditched them. Its been over twelve years without them and I was fine. I learned to compensate cause I have a really good picture memory so I can look at one thing and kinda know what I am looking at even though it may be less light then before. But I have noticed due to age that my glare reaction time is getting worse. My nearsightedness isn't too bad but stuff that is unfamiliar and really small I have trouble with. I guess I am compensating for my vision by using my memory and pattern recognition to make up for it. It might be the way the glasses are ground that is giving people problems. But you never know until you try.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The question was, can vision improve without wearing glasses, not whether one's eyes can adjust to being impaired.

5. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I've been wearing the same pair of glasses/same prescription since August of 2000. My eyesight has only gotten slightly worse since then. Prior to that, when I got my went to the eye doctor more frequently, my eyesight degraded at a much faster rate. I would be unable to go completely without my glasses to even try to see if my eyesight would improve at all now.

6. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Lol. My edit function is not working for my previous post. It's - "Prior to that, when I went to the eye doctor more frequently..." :p

7. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm nearsighted in my left eye and have astigmatism in my right. I've worn glasses since I was 11 - all the time, except when I'm in the shower or asleep. In early 2006 I had to have surgery on my left eye to correct "wall eye" strabismus. SInce 2007 my vision has kept flip flopping; one year it's stable and the next my left eye has usually gotten worse while my right eye hasn't changed all that much. I turned 21 in September 2010 and went to the eye doctor three months later. My vision hadn't changed. I went back in February 2012 and my left had worsened again while my right had actually gotten better.

I've actually been thinking for some time of trying to rid myself of my dependence on glasses. I'd wear them out in public, especially when I'm driving, but around the house I'd keep them off. There's a problem, though. I've been spending far too much time on the computer and reading and if I don't kick those habits then not wearing glasses probably wouldn't do any good. I've got an appointment tomorrow so I have to wait and see if I'll need a new prescription (which, given my luck, I probably will. Vision stablizing after age 21? *snort*)

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    no, vision doesn't improve.

however if you have semi bad eye sight and start wearing glasses, when you take them off your eye sight will seem a lot worse than if you'd never put the glasses on in the first place. because you're just getting used to the better quality sight.

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I understand that, without testing and the fact of having a slight problem I can't really tell if I was better off or not. I relied on my memory so much it gets murky. I can't tell you if it was my memory or if it was my vision that compensated. When you work on similar vehicles all the time everything gets to be familiar.

10. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    I had above 20/20 vision all my life until the age of 35 when I started to realize that I had to move the menu back further each year until I could not hold the menu out far enough. I went to the optometrist and finally got my glasses that I used for reading only. It did seem to me that the more I wore them, the faster my eyesight seemed to deteriorate. However, much of this also had to do with my increased use of a computer for work = approximately 60% of my job now. There are many factors that relate to deterioration of ones eyesight; genes, computer use, etc.

My uncle started doing eye exercises using a Tibetan Eye Chart; a patterned design and exercises to have you follow the patterns without moving your head. He has been doing these fairly regularly for about 8 months and he says his eyesight is indeed improving. Some will say this is BS, but the truth is I (or they) cannot say this because I have not tried it myself. You are supposed to do these 2-3 times a day. This seems logical as our bodies can improve with exercise, but I have not tried it - not ready to take on this discipline.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

You just got used to being impaired.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    lol.

Also, Senate tag. The government has come for your glasses, beezel.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This thread.

14. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Wear glasses, Ender? Something you'd like to contribute?

15. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    Of course you're vision can improve without glasses!!!!! By getting lasik eye surgery!!!!!

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have no eyes. I see out of my hands.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    if you pray enough then probably

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Passive aggressive, right in the kissah!

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder how bad Jesus's eye sight was?

Hank Hill likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, I do wear glasses. I just can't fathom that someone who has had the problems you've had with eyesight would ask such a question. Or how you think it's a "Senate" thread.

The eye is both like a lense, and muscle. You correct impairment by strengthening that muscle, i.e. that's why it hurts a non-glasses wearer to wear glasses. It strains the eye.

Sorry, if you parents told you you could have perfect eyesight with prayer they lied to you.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the only perfect sight is jesus's so if you have him in your heart he can see the inside of your heart really well

im not sure where i was going with this

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

I have fantastic distance vision, 20/15 in one eye and 20/10 in the other.

Or I did three years ago last time I got checked. That same ophthalmologist told me I was two years from needing bifocals and I called bull****.

My close-up vision is 20/40 and worsening and I wouldn't consider testing it though.

23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Is that possible?

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm using laymans terms but yeah. I wore glasses as a kid, the problem went away. Only wear them now because I got an infection which scarred the retinal access; as such that'll never heal. But it makes me look well smrt.

25. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Dangerous assumptions, Ender. My parents never said such a thing. And if you'd read the OP properly, you would unerstand why I'm asking this question. As for it being tagged "Senate," I wanted to cut down on completely boneheaded comments like the ones I'm seeing from Rogue Ten, I Are the Internets, and Violent Violet Menace above.