main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we as a forum remember the victims of 9/11

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    gabe's version looked better.

We're happy to have a banner in the Senate to coincide with hosted discussion(s), and Mr44 and I are happy enough to ensure either side doesn't get silly about this.

E_S

2. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    It seems like a good idea. But it's just going to get very political, fast. People will start arguing about the war on terror, and who caused what, and why they did it, and the whole purpose of the thing will be overshadowed. :(

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    QFT.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    QFT

I do the same thing with on April 24th every year... just create a thread... of course, when I do that, everyone makes fun of me for creating yet another thread about armenians. [face_dancing]

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, I got banned for that last year.

Sorry, about that. [face_blush]

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    No banner, even though I'm an Aussie and have never been to NY I find the pictures disturbing.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  8. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Why not unlock and bump-up the actual thread from Sept 11 (Official Thread: Plane Crashes into World Trade Center), and let people read, review, and remember in that capacity?

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    God forbid that we honor the victims of a tragedy, one which affected many countries around the world due to loss of life, out of fear of offending someone not from the United States. That would be worse than what happened on 9/11 itself.

10. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I honestly don't care about a 9-11 memorial banner or thread or whatever. It's kinda difficult for me to understand why JC'ers (especially Americans) would want such a thing on a Star Wars messageboard when it will be-- well, everywhere else on monday. Actually, it's not difficult at all for me to understand; I just find it lame.

I'm not sure if the last sentence is a continuation of your sarcasm or if you actually mean that a bout of PC-ness is actually worse than the deaths of over 3,000 people. If the latter is true, you have a serious case of the hyperboles.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What makes 9/11 more or less important than any other terrorist attacks, other than that it happened to Americans who'd previously been spared and thus concluded terrorism was as new thing? :)

E_S

13. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm sure he's being sarcastic with that...

And why wouldn't JCers want such a thing? Not that I'm advocating either side, but we have the Senate and JCC, which are both non-Star Wars discussion and which are both places where discussion, at the very least, of 9/11, people's memories, etc., all fit well with the subject matter of the forums.

Jes

14. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I think if we allow 9/11 memorial here, then the right thing is to allow other international events to remembered here as well.

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    beezel, I appreciate what you're suggesting and as an American identify it as one of the saddest days in our country. We will not be hosting a banner, however. We can't memorialize everything of this nature that happens in the world on a banner, and even though we're American based, it'd open up the way for more things of this nature if we're to be fair and that's just not feasible. I think a thread or upping the original thread is more in line with what we'd like to do. Thanks for the suggestion about the banner, but we're going to have to say no. :)

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Which is not to say that there can't be a memorial thread, as others have suggested.

I'd imagine it'd be ok to post pictures of police, firemen, volunteers, as well as pictures of friends or family, of users here, that may have perished, been injured, or plain just had to live thru the terror in the towers.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    In all fairness, TFN/JC is a US based website and community, so we'd be under no obligation to honor other tragedies or terrorist attacks outside of the US. I'm not saying that we shouldn't, I'm just simply making a point.

Glad to see there's still at least one quick person around here....

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The JC is obligated to commemorate 9-11? What about other major U.S. tragedies?

Remember the Maine!

19. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that the point he was trying to make was that what everyone's saying about how if the JC observed 9/11 the forums would have to observe other such instances relating to other nations is not necessarily true. I don't believe he's saying that the JC is obligated to observe 9/11, just that observing it wouldn't make the board obligated to observe other tragedies around the world.

Jes

20. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I don't think there's a single user here that actually needs reminding about 9/11. If you come to the JC to discuss or remember the events of that day, visit the Senate or JCC.

This is a SW fan message board, I don't think it's necessary to put up a banner about it. I personally feel that we should stick to SW banners except for the occasional comical replacement (the JCC has this down pat, IMO).

I'm not saying this in order to be insensitive, but I believe that everything has it's place. We don't commemorate other world (or US) events that had just as big or bigger influence in today's world. The JC's main banner being about 9/11 just doesn't sit well with me, but it's only my opinion....

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Dashy for a long time, these forums have focused a good amount of effort on recognizing that we are an international community and making a reasonable effort to include the whole world. I view some sort of official 9/11 board wide recognition thing to be a can of worms. It we do that, then it is also respectful, non-self centered and the right thing to do to allow the same sort of recognition for all of the major terrorist attacks on nations around the world. That would be a fair number. Thus because this is not a terrorist memorial site, but a Star Wars discussion forum at its core, we decided not to go into that whole issue. A thread in YJCC will be a good way to go for such a forum as the JC.

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Individual forums can honor it if they like, and really the only forums where it would be relevant is JCC and The Senate. Senate was planning on having a banner, and that may be more appropriate for them. But board-wide we aren't doing anything.

In JCC, we'll either be upping the original historical thread or starting a memorial thread (or both, not sure). Just like we would for any incident of this nature world-wide.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think a forum-wide rememberance for 9/11 would be too much.

However, I remember a while ago Raven suggested we remember the victims of ALL conflicts as a forum, on 11/11. I always thought this was an excellent idea, and last year we even had Rememberance Icons.
    So, if you want to remember victims of 9/11 and all other conflicts in an inter-forum way, November 11th seems to be a good day to do it.

As for 9/11 itself, I think a thread to remember in Senate and YJCC should suffice. :)

24. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that's a pretty good idea

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Speaking strictly for myself and as a lifelong NYer, I get the hell out of the city for 9/11 because I hate the rememberance crap.

Leave us be and let us deal with it in our own way, without forced recognition please.

kthxbye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.