main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we do something about misquoting

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Ok it happened in another thread were a user actually had balls enough to misquote a mod from another forum.

They basically take the persons quote and change a few words to make it offensive and at the end they add

Fixed.

Its offensive and takes advantage of the quote format.

Can we make this a bannable offense.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    May I inquire as to how you know that a ban wasn't given for this particular offense?

3. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I dont know if a ban was given or not but I alerted the mod that the user did it to her.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    If they put "fixed" then you know that the person switched the quote so there's no reason for a ban.

5. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Exactly. That's just a way for the person to state what they thought should have been said. It's not that hard to tell, especially if they put 'fixed' by it. However, if it was deliberate miquotage (pretending someone said something that they did not) I thin kthe person should indeed be banned.

Anyways, it's probably in the hands of the mods now, and they're the ones running all this. It's not up to us to decide board policies. :)

6. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    seriously if we are going to allow someone to say fixed at the end and avoid a ban it pretty stupid.
    Its like giving someone a free pass to do and say what they want against all users.

Just because its popular on the internet doesnt make it right.

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    But the thing is that this is also often used humorously, so it would be hard to define the line between a joke, and an offence.

8. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I believe the line between humor and offense has been clearly defined and laid down by the mods.

9. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    And if that's the case, then why is it being brought up?

If it's considered offensive, then it'll be dealt with, if it's been considered humorous it won't.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah, because people don't avoid bans all the time by adding tongue emoticons to the ends of posts flaming other users.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    beezel26, I'd appreciate if you could point me to the forum of the misquote, the thread, and the mod and thread from which it came. A lot can be learned from the context and situation and it will greatly help in decision-making. A PM to me would be fine. Thanks. :)

12. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Whatever, Jeffffff. That never happens. :rolleyes:

:p

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Oh we're well aware of the smilie guy with his tongue sticking out somehow is the kiss on the cheek to soften the blow of the uppercut flame of the post.

14. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    The intent is generally to be funny. Offensiveness is usually secondary, where present. I'd have thought you'd have been more careful to present the situation accurately, given the subject.

It happened before there even was a quote feature. That just makes it easier.

Anything you could say this way that's really offensive would already be a bannable offense, and if it's used in an inoffensive way, then how's it breaking any rules?

EDIT: I assure you the misattributed quote was completely unintentionalO:)
    As were the typos in my edit.

15. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    There is no user called beezel126.

OMG liek you just edited a quote to the wrong user! U is banned! :rolleyes:

beezel, this has been going on long before the quote format was introduced, and is mostly used in jest.

16. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Fixed.

17. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Beezel I don't think Comms is the proper forum to discuss your hatred of dinosaurs.

18. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    As has been said time and again, it's almost always done for humor, and it's almost always accompanied by a "Fixed." that makes it obvious what was done.

I really don't think it's worth getting worked up over.

Especially since you were not even the one "wronged" as far as what you said. It was some mod. So don't you think if said person was offended by it that it's their business, and maybe you should chill unless or until it's actually affecting you?

Basically, I guess it looks like you're just trying to stir up drama and think of more reasons for banning people. Why do you want more reasons to ban people? Aren't there enough already?

19. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Great visual. :p

20. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Probably the most used smiley in MS come to think of it...

:p

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    No, this one is.. [face_plain]

;)

The particular situation in question was handled. Not that I don't enjoy a good joke every now and then. ;)

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    unless I'm thinking of the wrong situation, I think it's more important what the misquote said, and not just the fact that it was a misquote.

the ones that don't break the rules actually just say what the misquoting person would like to say, the way I see it.

23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I demand that humor be banned from the JC. Sometimes there are jokes that I don't get and then I feel stupid and someone should be banned for that.

Amazing.

24. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    If this is going to be discussed in Comms, how about a link or a transcript of the "misquote"?

25. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    As most people in this thread have said, this is in most cases used as a joke, and if that doesn't break any board rules, should be fine IMHO. The only case where it should be a problem is if it's used to flame the quoted user, or to otherwise break our rules. Barring that, I see no problem with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.