main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we have a "Thread Viewed" Column?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediMaster22, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Many forums got this, so can JC forums please also implement one?

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Many have suggested it. Last time I saw it brought up, zerosleep pointed out that it would increase the overheads on the forums way too much and slow everything down.

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Hmmm, I see. That kind of sucks. I could see how much of a use this could be, but I don't think we need it enough to slow down the board system.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Do you mean one of those columns with an icon that's maybe... lit up if there are new posts in the thread? If so... blessing and a curse. It might be handy on the JCC because often if a thread has had additionaly responses since I last posted but has then dropped off the first page it can slip my mind. That annoys, particularly if I've said something particularly witty. However I wouldn't like the clutter and 'thread viewed' / 'thread not viewed' icons it would create. On forums that have these sorts of columns, I tend to click on all the threads with new posts just to get the forum looking uniform again! On the JCC, I'd be doing nothing but clicking on threads I don't intend to read, and by the time I was ready to actually contribute, there'd be more new posts to be alerted to.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    As mentioned above, this requires changes to the board code. We don't have that access.

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Right. zerosleep is the only one with that kind of access.

7. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    On the JCC, I'd be doing nothing but clicking on threads I don't intend to read, and by the time I was ready to actually contribute, there'd be more new posts to be alerted to.

Well if that's the case you'd just hit "Mark All Topics Read" button (like on Dantooine Base lol).. but yeah this isn't necessary and would just clutter things.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Well if that's the case you'd just hit "Mark All Topics Read" button (like on Dantooine Base lol)..

This is what I have learnt today. ;)

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Welcome to 2004. :p

10. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm really not a big fan for it. I like the setup of the boards as they currently are.

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    What would be the point of such a column? The only things that matter in a thread is the number of replies to it, and the content therein. A "number of times viewed thread" would not be any benefit.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Er, I don't think he's talking about the number of views column that appears on some EZBoards, Bib. :p

Some browsers let you designate your own choice of color for a vlink, don't they? You could figure out which threads you've already viewed based on whether they're in the JC default color or your visited link color. I think that was exactly why zerosleep made the URLs have number of replies on the end, actually. Whenever there's a new reply, the URL changes, so it's no longer a visited link for you.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, that's what I have, so I always know which threads I haven't visited yet.

14. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    Right now, if you click on the thread title, you go to page one of that thread. And when you go back to the main page, the threads you have visited are no longer bold. But I normally go to the latest page number, not the first page of a thread.

What I am reading is this: You can change the color of the threads you have visited, so you know when a new post has been made - even if you go to the last page of the thread?

HOW?

Please explain - I really want to do this.

Madine out

15. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Hmm. You're right, it could be a problem with multi-page threads, because if you jump to the last page the URL ends with something like &page=2, not the number of replies.

Experiment time. I just tried it out in JCC, and the link to page 2 only shows up in black if I've seen the latest replies. It's in the default color for this particular thread when it gets a new one.

Is it not working for you?

16. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    ok, there may be a confusion here. I read above that I can prgram my brower somehow to make stuff appear with different colors, so I know when a new post has been added to a thread I am keeping up with.

Right now, when you click on the thread and read it, when you go back to the menu page, that thread is no loneger bolded. But many times, threads go to many multiple pages, and you click on the page number, and the thread title stays bolded regardless.

Is there a way to program the site, or my own browser, so the title turns a different color when I read it, regardless of the page I go to? Is it possible to have the title go unbolded no matter what page I go to until a new post is made in that thread?

That is what I want to know...

Madine out

17. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Right, the title does stay bolded because the title is a link to page one. But look at what happens to the page number you just clicked on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.