main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we have an "Official girl/guy I need help dating/crisis" thread in the JCC?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The Mentos® Strikes Back, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, Art Maul's is ok. But it's true, I think one thread to handle everyone's problem would be too much. I support the forum idea, corny as it sounds.

Now, why do I always go to the JC for love advice? Because the JC is full of intelligent, friendly and helpful people with a vast variety of backgrounds and experiences. They seem, on a whole, more helpful and more willing to help than the members of any other forum I've been to. :)

2. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Getting dating advice here is like asking a guy wearing a John Deere Hat for adivce on birth control.

3. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    ^ This is what I'm talking about.

4. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    You guys, the purpose of YJCC is to be able to discuss everything non-SW related (within the rules of course). This includes dating. Another fact to keep in mind: dating is, aside from occasionally religion, the one most important thing in everyone's life. I mean, isn't it? Isn't love more important than basically anything else, except perhaps God? Yes, it is. I think most people wouldn't argue with me there, or even if they thought something else was slightly more important, it would be up there. So why should you be so shocked/annoyed that there are lots of threads on it? It seems very reasonable to me. And really, I think that threads about someone's dating life are more interesting than a lot of the threads in there. Of course you may disagree with me on that, but in that case you could try ignoring the threads, living and letting live. I think to confine it to one thread would be ridiculous. Nobody would ever get any advice, and it would get all confused with the advice for everyone else. Starting another forum also seems ridiculous. Basically, my view is, you should realize that this is important stuff and either treat it as such, or if you really don't like it, learn to ignore it.

5. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Jobo, who is locked up in Big Brother right now, asked me to relay this:

While I don't think we need a whole forum for it, I also disagree with one thread. I think that keeping it to one thread for one person's love life should be fine.

6. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Well...I still think a separate dating forum woudl be nice. But if they don't wanna do that, then dating threads had better not be restricted. Jjanda's right to a point, love is crucial to all of us, and it is sooo hard. People need help. I know I sure have in the past.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "This includes dating. Another fact to keep in mind: dating is, aside from occasionally religion, the one most important thing in everyone's life. I mean, isn't it? Isn't love more important than basically anything else, except perhaps God?"

But there's a huge difference between love and teenage angst, which is what most, if not all of the threads are really about. And I don't think teenage angst is all that important. It's just a part of growing up.

Amazing.

8. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    many of these threads are not personal stories/problems, but rather, broad issues that many different people can relate to or discuss with different views/anecdotes/feelings. that is why some of these threads are redundant.

...and there is no reason why one person should need to start 5 different threads about their girl problems, even if it's a personal story. glorifying oneself as a "king of dating problems" is unnecessary.

9. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    But there's a huge difference between love and teenage angst, which is what most, if not all of the threads are really about. And I don't think teenage angst is all that important. It's just a part of growing up.

Heheeh Once again AMazingB you and I agree!! Yes, there is a difference, and as we have determined a large quantity of ppl, especially the newer ones are young. They come form the same age group that you see flooding chatrooms saying "wanna cyber?" to any "girl" (because they dont know if it is acutally a girl) they see. This is one of the reasons why chatrooming died so early in my internet career. It wasnt worth the anxiety of trying to fight back the legions. A forum is not needed. One thread however, would not be very helpful to those who need help. There needs to be a happy medium between the two, the question is how. Is it a question of just closing threads? Or is there another answer??

EDITed Oh as a side note... Ariana u know as well as I do that many ppl are joking when they say that. Its just funy that many ppl on this board share the same problem... also, I agree with you that ppl that are like 13-15 think their hopless if theyve never had a relationship....

10. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Might be a good idea, since we have so many people asking for help around here.....

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'm positive that you will have better luck talking about the opposite sex and finding dates by logging off the computer and getting out in the public. If I was in a serious relationship, or at least wanted to have one, I guarantee I woulnd't be spending so much time here.

12. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    So you're saying that one of the most succesful threads of all time, 'So there's this really hot girl at Target...' should instead have been posted on page 15 of the 'Official Love/Dating/Angst Thread'?

13. Dead_Horse

Dead_Horse Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    I could use some help with my love life...

14. Loka Hask

Loka Hask Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 1999
    I will laugh hysterically if this turns into a romance advice topic.

15. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Yeah, so, there's this girl, and I don't know if she likes me or not.

But I like her.

And we're going 2 dinner and a movie on Friday, and I'm paying. And she's calling me night and day just 2 talk.

What should I do? I don't want 2 act like I like her if she doesn't like me, because then I'll look like a ful.

Can u hlp me? Pleeezze? I need hlp!

16. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Dear EagleIFilms,

Don't go out with her!!! It will only lead to more pain. I suggest you continue having secret Target rendevous.

Seriously, perhaps a thread like that would help (Love advice thread). Hama's bad advice thread was wildly popular. But then again, that's bad advice :p

17. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm not so sure.

Dozens will post their problemns all at once, someone will offer advice for one person, another persoin thinks that advice is for them goes off and then... [face_plain]

Then flaming will start when people want are aguuing over who's problem is more pressing and should be discussed.

It would be Chaos IMO [face_plain]

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Dozens will post their problemns all at once, someone will offer advice for one person, another persoin thinks that advice is for them goes off and then..."

Not if people specify who they're replying to. It's not a hard thing to do.

"Then flaming will start when people want are aguuing over who's problem is more pressing and should be discussed."

If they flame, let them get banned. It would be their own fault for being incredibly immature.

Amazing.

19. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    If we have this type of thread, could we also have an "I've been here X years today!" type thread? It doesn't bother me when a couple people do it, but there's 3 on the first page today.

20. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    up! When are the mods going to make a decision about this?

21. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    I have some advice for all you guys looking for love.
    Why dont you get off the damn computer and go outside so you can actually meet people.

22. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Easier said than done. It seems to me these relationship threads are caused by two things: insecurity and/or attention-seeking.

IMO the best way to get rid of the former would be to set up an 'official' relationship advice thread for people at ask all their angsty questions in.

To get rid of the latter, just... get rid of them. We don't need them. Honestly, how many people other than the author of the thread are interested in the topic?

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Ugh -- please tell me the idea of a dating forum isn't being taken seriously by the mods. As a regular the JCC, I, for one, find the idea just plain embarrassing.

EDIT - almost as embarrassing as my inablity to type.

24. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Lets just go post the darn thread! I'll post it if ya want, just somebody post it!!11

(except valyn or jm22)

Oh and there are currently a few threads with more than 5 pages that everyone is getting commented on its just the standard:

Valyn-Just ask them out

JediMaster22-Hm.... try dinner, the movies aren't a good first date

DUSHONI-I'm sorry, that goat just isnt for you

25. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    citizen-tom, if you truly understood the concept of "goatse," you would have gouged your eyes out by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.