main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can We Loosen Up On The Swearing Rules?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by -Courtney-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    So can I use "bastard" if I refer to someone who's not a member?

"I hate that Santa Claus playa and his whole reindeer crew, I'm done with that rat-bastard messing up my chimney every year."

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    While acknowledging the unofficial nature of your response, I will say that this makes complete sense to me, that it's very clearly expressed, and that I think it would make totally solid policy. If it isn't the official position of the administration, it should become so. :p

-Paul

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, just look at me. :)

4. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    If being able to swear is that important to you then I think you should go home and rethink your life.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree that the current swear rules are fine (besides the ackronym swear words which are a joke) however i do think it's probably unnecesary 95% of the time for someone who is a regular contributor to the forums and is generally not regarded as a troll or a serial swearer to be banned for posting one or two of the weaker swear words on the odd occasion.

6. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    QFT.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I want to go home... and rethink my life...

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    leave the swearing rules where they are

only if they couldn't tell the difference between irony and coincidence

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    malkie has a true or false irony detector on his toolbar

10. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Is that a Google download?

On the swearing subject: I swear like a trooper at home. I don't at work. I tend to put my brain into 'work' mode when I'm here so I don't even miss the cursing. It's something I think most people do, once they hit the workforce and realise that you don't need to swear to get your point across.

And in the case of being banned for 'occassional' cursing? If you rack up a fairly regular editing list, and ignore warnings, then you're going to get done for it, eventually :)

11. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Heh, yeah.

I think that's basically it and what we're trying to say. Typically, minor cursing will get edits and warnings with promises of bans in the future, however major infractions will get you banned earlier. I don't think there's any reason for the list to be changed. It took a while to get it to where it's at now and I'm comfortable with it.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This is one of those areas that certain sections of our membership have never been happy about. I think our rules on swearing are fine. Nobody needs to swear to post here and actually you can usually say what you want to say using much more evocative language than swear words.

People forget that primarily this is a Star Wars site and Star Wars has always been family friendly. We have a duty to ensure children can post here (though we say under 13's can't post) and that as far as possible its a safe and friendly enviroment.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's really just the abbreviation thing we don't like.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    meh.

the abbreviation thing might be a little over the top, but when you have *un with it, you stop caring.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    PS, I just have fun with being creative with the pretty stars. :)

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. Since this was one of those things (like Jesus Christ being considered a swear when used as an exclamation) that the owner specifically decreed, we do it.

It took a while to get the list where it's at today, and beyond clarifying a couple words we have up there, I don't think we need to add anything to it or take anything away.

Since we're talking about words to clarify here, I'm going to lock this and we can continue that line of discussion there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.