main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we trust the UN?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by darthmalt16, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I'd like to defend J-Rod to a degree, in that he can have an opinion based on demographics about a region he has never been to; Harlem was chosen by Chavez because of those demographics. Say what you will about welfare, but it is an abused system. I can imagine that J-Rod drew his conclusions on the mobility of those particular NYC residents based on his knowledge of the numbers (unemployment, welfare, drop-out rate) and further thoughts both personal and political about the welfare/handout system the US has in place. It's no worse to say that than to declare the Midwest a sanctuary of backward thinking and intolerance, since it primarily votes Republican, and certainly a lot of people like to make such sweeping generalizations.

As for the initial question of the thread (can we trust the UN?), I'd say no. It is a corrupt body that doesn't adequately reflect the nature of the world. The Security Council is a mockery, as is the General Assembly. Its interests are its own, and not the world's. I don't think it has failed utterly yet, but it is closer everyday to the graveyard of its forbearer, the League of Nations. I would not trust the UN to save any country - what it is there for - from invasion or internal strife. It is supposed to be the arbiter for world conflict, but how long has the situation in Darfur gone on, or in the rest of Africa, for that matter. Why aren't there UN troops in the former Soviet republics making sure the votes are cast and counted correctly? Why isn't Russia under more scrutiny for its growing autocracy?

No, the UN is not to be trusted to handle anything as it stands. Perhaps it is a midlife crisis. Or maybe it's the onset of senility and the inability to get up and do something, to make a decision to at least put on pants for God's sake and face the world.

A brief aside: that Harlem service website? Let them know you graduate FROM something. I didn't "graduate college," or mark it with some system of measurement, but rather I "graduated FROM college," receiving a diploma or mark of completion. The informal terminology really bugs me.

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    First off, no worries. As I said, I could have responded better. I appreciate you being big about it. :D

Yes. Put that way, I wouldn't have argued the point. "Large percentage" is very different from "majority".

True. But if I were going to characterize Harlem, I would observe that while a large percentage of the population is receiving public assistance, a much larger percentage is not. I certainly don't approve of people "nursing off the breast of the Government" and I think that public assistance does more harm than good in many cases. Still, I don't think that it's fair to lump an entire community in with the minority. That's what I was objecting to.

Cute. I'll take first-hand knowledge if you've got it. :p

That's big of you. I appreciate that. I hope you can accept my apology as well.

3. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    That's big of you. I appreciate that. I hope you can accept my apology as well.

Absolutely I do. My time has been a very rare and valuable commodity as of late. That's why my posts have been less frequent and of an even lesser quality than usual.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Guatemala beat Venezuela in the first round of UNSC voting, but failed to get fell about 15 votes shy of winning the seat. They're now going into a second round of voting.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Good.

We do NOT want Venezuela on the UNSC, period. I don't care what people think differently :p, it's bad all round for everyone. Yes, even the Uzbekis.

E_S

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, after 4 rounds of voting, Guatemala fell short of the amount needed, so it looks like they and Venezuela are out.

The AP reports a "compromise nation" will now be sought.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I disagree. Just imagine.

"Yesterday the devil spoke to this council even now his demon sits right over there pointing his trident at me and lashing his tail in evilness. Therefor I vote no concerning Security council Resolution NCC 1701 D deploring the use of nuclear weapons in Burundi.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

Pure gold, farrie. Pure gold.

E_S

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    lmao

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Latest update: 22 votes and still no compromise candidate.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Interesting essay

Though honestly, the concept of freedom takes a back seat to security in many people's "hearts and minds", as freedom has little benefit if it means economic breakdown with it. Hence why democracy advocatesin China are still mostly students and in a minority.

And my god, I hate the phrase "freedom loving". It's trite, cringe-worthy and so soppy I feel like throwing up from it. [face_sick]

E_S

12. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure there is a newspaper in the world where that would count as an op-ed E_S. Not even the NYT.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_blush] I had meant to write "essay".

E_S

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Essay?

Hah it's 60 pages.

Thats a full on policy paper.

Considering it's from the Margeret Thatcher Foundation or whatever I have a pretty good idea what it says :p

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think my thesis clocked in at about 60 pages, farrie, and it was an essay.

Regardless, stop using semantics to cover up the uncomfortable facts that:

a) You can't be bothered reading it,
    b) Alliance > Horde
    c) Giving the Blood Elves the Paladin class was for the worst reasons.

Defy me, if you dare! :p

E_S

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    No, it was a thesis paper.

At a certain point definable only by the ability of the reader to slog through incomprehensible jibberish an essay becomes a paper.

Basically at the point it can reasonably be said to be tl;dr you're into paper terrritory.

And the only things Alliance can do better than Horde are suck and die.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And Alterac Valley.

And buff parties (BoW/BoK/BoM/BoW/BoS/BoL).

And just outright rule.

E_S

18. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I have a question in regards to the General-Secretary of the UN.

I believe that it is convention that the GS does not come from a national member of the Security Council; is this part of UN rules, or as I mentioned, a convention?

I remember that a few years ago that there were internal murmurings within the USA to push for Bill Clinton to be the next General-Secretary of the UN. Perhaps this was stopped due to the perception that this position would informally outrank the US Presidency, and be an embarrassment to GWB?

Personally, I don't think it is either fair or democratic that a member of the Security Council of nations can't become General Secretary. After all, China is the most populous nation for example...

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    well, even though none of the perminent members would have the general secretary from them... they can all veto, so I would think that balances it out somewhat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.