main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Can Yoda influence the midi-chlorians?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NakkyGraphics, Jan 15, 2016.

1. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going with normal for his species and that blogger was overthinking it.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  4. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I hope not.

I don't want a bunch of OP character's like Yoda appraoching "demi-god" like abilities.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Using the Force to create life seems like something Yoda would NOT do, even if he could. He served the Force, not the other way around.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. A Jedi does not use the Force for selfish gain. They respect the natural course of life and death. Only a Sith would want to do something such as create life and cheat death.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    And yet in TCW we learn that Qui-Gon and Yoda had pursued trials that would allow them to retain their consciousness after death rather than joining with the Force and ceasing to exist as an individual as would be the case with all other life. I can't help but think there's a degree of selfishness. There may have been some practical use for that in the case of Obi-Wan being able to continue to guide Luke despite being dead, but in the case of Qui-Gon pursuing these trials even before the Sith revealed themselves, and while the Jedi Council was unaware, that seems a bit selfish. And then there was Anakin who was given this power too, just because.

If he had the ability to stretch out his life span, I don't see that as being out of character. Especially given his response to Luke.

Luke: Master Yoda, you can't die.
    Yoda: Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong.

He doesn't talk about death being some natural part of life or anything like that. He says he lacks the power. Immortality may be out of his grasp, but whether or not he could extend his life past what would otherwise have been natural, I don't know.

8. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015
    Alright so he wasn't doing that. But was he strong enough to do it? Could he have done it if he tried?

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Same here. From what I've read, members of Yoda's species ordinarily have extraordinarily long lives.

10. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Not a Jedi power.

11. Bossk74

Bossk74 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Yoda's long life was due to his species... not so much his power in the force.

On a personal note.. I always hated how George demystified the force in the Prequels by introducing the concept of midichlorians.

Just my opinion though.

:yoda:

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    800 and no he was just that old.

13. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015
    Pretty sure he said he was 900.

Either way in ROTS, Palpatine describes the ability to manipulate midichlorians as an ability that the jedi believed to be unnatural. So even if Yoda was strong enough in the force I don't think he would have wanted to do it bc he didn't believe in it.

IMO, I think Yoda probably could have learned how if he really wanted to.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

YODA: "Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have. Still much to learn, there is …"

QUI-GON: "Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain your consciousness. You will become more powerful than any Sith."

YODA: "Eternal consciousness."

QUI-GON: "The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed."

YODA: " . . . to become one with the Force, and influence still have . . . A power greater than all, it is."

QUI-GON: "You will learn to let go of everything. No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self."

Ah, but he does. You forgot to quote the rest of what Yoda says to Luke.

YODA: "Twilight is upon me and soon night must fall. That is the way of things … the way of the Force."

He tells Luke that death is a natural part of life, just not the way he did to Anakin. But immortality for a Jedi is not the same for a Sith. The Sith want immortality in the strictest sense of the corporeal world. A Jedi accepts death, but can retain their consciousness so that they can pass on knowledge to the living by becoming part of the Cosmic Force and speaking through the Midichlorians.

Lt. Hija and TaradosGon like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    From the new RoTJ novelization: Beware the Power of the Dark Side:

In Which Luke Returns To Master Yoda

Far away, on the swamp planet of Dagobah, Yoda waits.
    For hundreds of years, he taught Jedi younglings the value of patience.
    But it has not been easy for him to practice it these last few years.
    It is hard to be weak when you were once strong. Hard to move slowly when all around you is moving too fast.
    The Force is out of balance. As the Emperor spreads fear across the galaxy, the dark side grows more and more powerful.
    Yoda knows that it is Luke's destiny, not his, to fight back. Yoda - once a warrior, once the leader of all those who stood against the dark side - can do nothing but wait.
    And it has been a long, helpless wait. First he waited while Luke went to Bespin, then while Luke returned to the rebels, then while Luke went on that insanely risky mission to Tatooine.
    Using the Force, he has tried to keep watch over Luke, but he has only a sense of what his runaway pupil has been through.
    Yet now he senses that Luke is finally returning. And he is relieved. Because he could not have waited much longer.
    Already he has used the Force to prolong his life beyond what is natural. Beyond what is comfortable and almost beyond what is endurable.
    But he refuses to pass on.
    Not until he can play his last part in this great galactic struggle.
    All he has left are a few pieces of wisdom that might help Luke.
    And now, the sound of an engine roars through the swamp, and Yoda knows the time has finally come. The wait is over.

SateleNovelist11 and Lt. Hija like this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Which I think means that Yoda should've already died between when Luke left and when he returns.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that's what they're alluding to - that he's now on borrowed time, so to speak.

18. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    in a word: no.