main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Thoughts/General Discussion: Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Zannah, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    My favorite drink is dark Havana club añejo Reserva, but the whisky is also something special. ;) But I still wonder what was Obi Wan drinking in the famous scene of the AOTC bar. Something like Jedi blue anxiety? who knows. ;) Cheers. [​IMG]

MarcJordan and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I think Anthony Daniels also had a wee bit much to drink. He's holding that Indian girls hand (she's more than half his age!). Naughty. :p

MJ

Alienware likes this.
  3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Now I‘m wondering why AOTC is not PG13. All this dirt Coruscant undergroung is not a good place to show to the little ones.
    Now, seriously, there is so much to find in AOTC. And not only visually. The old fashioned romance is the spice of this movie. I fear only that is too exotic to many SW fans‘ taste. For me is just as it have to be. I even made a comparison between both relationships in a SW saga thread. I think Ani/Padme wins against Han/Lea, is more embedded in the SW universe, if I can say so.

4. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Then on the other side of the coin, there are really charming things that highlight Padme and Anakin's relationship that at times goes unnoticed. Here is Padme very pleased that Anakin is the one indeed taking her to Naboo. It speaks volumes of how much Padme actually likes Anakin with her even at stressful times like what is seen here despite the dangers and worries. I love it!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I actually enjoy the romance scenes tbh. A lot actually. Matter of fact, I cringe more at the romance scenes in ESB.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

I really love how Anakin is very positive right at the end, while Padme remains slightly apprehensive.

A lot of information is conveyed by this quick closeup, by face acting alone.

7. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Beer is GOAT.

8. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Rakia is better. But my point was that we are indeed mature enough to appreciate the medieval-like love story.

darskpine10, my favorite scene is when Padme takes first the “real“ hand of Ani, then his mechanical one. There is so much love and dedication in it.. it shows that she accepts him just as he is and no matter what, she will always love him.

9. DarthPivot

DarthPivot Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2016
    Despite it being a bad film, It's an original story. And I appreciate that. Force Awakens was not original at all. I'd rather watch the PT than that film.

10. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Well I think it's great, underrated, and the best prequel, but that's just my opinion.

11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Eww, i know i'm disappointing my people, but i don't like rakija.

12. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Of all six, I often find myself liking AOTC the least. But I stil love this film.

Without mentioning the mythological aspects of the plot, the visual effects were incredibly bold for 2002 and this is the first time we see the Jedi as actual 'super' like heroes. I will never forget seeing this movie for the first time and how much it truly blew my mind.

It is easy to forget what this movie was like in the first viewing.

I'm not gonna try to defend the fireside scene, but the film is really taken for granted because ROTS was amazing as well and overshadows this film.

I also think people wanted Anakin to be a total monster of a person, not a pathetic, yet REAL person. Darth Vader isn't always awesome?! Of course not, nobody ends up like that in a cool way.

But that is an entirely different discussion.

MarcJordan and Tonyg like this.
  13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I used to be on that front but my perception has changed...Each PT movie is strikingly different in tone, narrative, sound and music. They provide an utmost visceral reality within the films, and tell a deeply woven uncanny story about human beings or just "beings" in general.

I think AOTC has the same flaws has every other PT film, or SW film really. With the other films possibly having better "high" points than lower. Does that make sense?

If not then it's okay...AOTC has it's own special place like ROTS and TPM. It's actually very hard for me to rank these movies because each of them are so deep in their own way and build up after one another.

Personally, I loved the fireside scenes. Truly a great piece of classic theater work.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Davak! You're back!!!

Davak24 likes this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think it looks the best out of the 3 prequels , I think there's tons of great design work in there .

16. Darth Jaster

Darth Jaster Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Lol its hard to really contest the flaws you've found in the movie. What I can say is that there are some bright parts of the film that you can focus on and hopefully overshadow the illogical plot flows and romantic political sleeping pills. Jango Fett was cool and he had a unique fight with Obi bc its not often you see a fist fight in Star Wars. As cringy as Anakin's scenes with Padme were, they establish what kind of a person Anakin is, his ideology and how emotionally driven he is. The sequence in which Anakin tracks down his mother is all great, giving us a glimse at the Vader that will soon be born. Lastly, I found the end of the film to be awesome. Seeing all of the Jedi together in their prime was cool, and seeing the clone troopers sweep in was even cooler.

I agree with your gripes about Padme accusing Dooku. I see no reason for her to suspect him at all, other than the fact that he must have been becoming well know as evil offscreen....? But that doesn't even make sense bc the Jedi would then know about him. Padme immediately name dropping Dooku was just a way to introduce the new "villain".

17. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Lots of good stuff here on Padme suspecting Dooku:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-jedi-he-couldnt-assassinate-anyone.50041916/

Darth Jaster likes this.
  18. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I think it can be defended, even including the romance scenes. It has some excellent action set pieces, lots of new locations, the masterpiece that is "Across The Stars" which plays beautifully alongside the doomed romance. There is a lot of good quality CGI which holds its own 15 years later, and the arena scene and battle of Geonosis, which I still find thrilling.

What lets it down is the clone trooper CGI (a bit rubbery), and slightly cold performances from Natalie and Hayden in some of their love scenes (the arena, the lakeside retreat fireside conversation). I think some of Padmé's characterisation is rushed in this film too. In particular, her response to Anakin's confession about slaughtering the sand people falls flat to me. I feel like I should be seeing her wrestle with her conscience more deeply than she does in that scene at the homestead. She does pause and try to look troubled, but she reacts too quickly and too coolly for me to believe her response as natural for a woman of such principle.

Darth Jaster likes this.
  19. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    The way I read that is that anti-sand-people prejudice is extremely strong. They are not really seen as having human rights in this period. Anakin actually seems more troubled by what he did than Padme does. Perhaps it's because Anakin is from Tattooine and familiar with the historic mistreatment of sand-people (and being an ex-slave himself, knows the reality of such prejudice) whereas Padme appears to have lived a privileged life (I know she was elected rather than inheriting her position) and her home planet of Naboo also has a long history of racism (even if she has left her anti-Gungan prejudices behind by this point).

It seems the sand-people are basically perceived as a bunch of barbarians and are all tarred with the same brush. Padme knows that Anakin loved his mother and knows how badly things often turn out when the sand-people kidnap someone, so she can sympathise with his exercise of collective punishment, even though it goes against what she tells herself about human rights.

The main problem with AOTC is the dialogue and performances in some of the love scenes etc. I think Lucas deliberately went for OTT melodrama but for most viewers it didn't quite work. There are a lot of excellent scenes too though, both on Coruscant and Geonosis among other places... and I agree that Across The Stars is a masterpiece.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think it may be less widespread than that.

Basically, the Sand people have attacked Cliegg's family and friends, giving them a grievance against them. As far as Cliegg knows, all the Sand people have done is kidnap and torture his wife, and murder 26 farmers who went out to try and rescue her. And this is all the info Padme gets as well. All she gets is second hand info about the Tuskens is from someone already prejudiced against them. She never has time to learn any more about them, so isn't as horrified as she should be.

To her, everything about the Tuskens is monstrous. That's probably why she doesn't react too strongly after Anakin's confession.

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The thing is that she is very much like her son in that respect. One of many things that connects Padme and Anakin.

I think that is how Lucas wrote a lot of Padme from. By making her and Luke so much the same.

When the homestead is destroyed and Owen and Beru killed does Luke react in a way that some might think he should? It's not like he's torn apart by it. All we get is a quick look away and some emotion but they are quickly forgotten and by Mos Eisley it's like they never existed. So part of it is character in the context of the way said characters react to things in the SW universe.

For some reason some people want her to be totally horrified and run away screaming, turn Anakin in etc etc.

There is nothing she can do for the Sand people and it's not exactly like her experience is that anyone would feel any much sorry for them as they also are murderers of anyone they come across. Her concern is Anakin's state of mind.

Shouldn't Leia totally fall apart after her planet is destroyed? Does Leia feel anything for the many thousands of workers who are on the Death Star that are just crew?

So it seems we have children that take after the nature of a mother they didn't know in both virtues and flaws.

I don't think there is any way that Lucas wasn't thinking about this.

22. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    I do have issues with this film, but I have to say there is one flaw that is really starting to piss me off when people bring it up. The sand line. Now, I don't think it's a good line, I get what Lucas was going for, but to me personally, meh. However I see it being made fun of in literally every discussion about SW. Like, you would think it was the worst quote in the history of film with how often I see it get brought up, and it's kinda annoying. I find it no worse, cheesy, or intolerable than the crappy dialogue in the other 7 movies. Like I said, not really defending, just kinda airing my annoyance with the fanbase (again.)

Deliveranze and Valency Jane like this.
  23. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I take your point, I do, but throughout the saga Padmé often has something to say about questionable actions or behaviours that go against her moral code. I find it a little unusual for her not to have said something to scold him a little before she softened and said her line about being human etc and moving on, or for her to have briefly looked horrified before delivering her line a little less convincingly. I get the connection with Luke though, it is a good point, but I think they missed an opportunity to convey how others were responding to Anakin's slow descent into the dark in this scene.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  24. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Having principals is not the same at put the finger on people and judge them for what they did, pretending to have some divine status. We,, at least for Padme, she would never do that. Padme doesn't judge people she always tries to help them as she did with Anakin.
    What is clear then is that Anakin's mother lived something horrifying: unceasing torture, maybe multiple rapes. She was with the tribe in a month and survived only to say goodbye to Anakin. So, I don't think Padme cares about the barbarians who did that. For sure, she cares that Anakin wiped out all the village which was undoubtedly wrong and awful but Anakin already know that. He already is consumed by regrets and remorse and what should Padme do? Tell him that he shouldn’t do that? Well, he already said that, so it is useless. If she made that it would be only a stupid declaration how moral and dignified person she is and how she doesn't support such things. Well, I don't think she care about such declarations, she care about helping the people and that is what Padme did: she soothed Anakin. He is the one who blamed himself for what she did and she saw that. So, pointing out to this wouldn't help him.

wobbits and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  25. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Also 10 years prior in TPM, she saw the Tuskens taking pop shots at the podracers.

wobbits likes this.