main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

can you dye something black to make it brown?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mst_Anakin, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mst_Anakin

Mst_Anakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    my brothers friend made a rouge Jedi outfit and got two black belts to make his. He made it and likes it but wants to know if he can make it brown instead? I told him I would ask you nice people about it. Thanks for any help.

2. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I assume you're asking if the BELTS can be dyed brown?

If the belts are LEATHER, then no. You can dye leather DARKER than it is, but not LIGHTER (ie. you can go from tan to brown, or brown to black, etc).

If the belts are CLOTH (like SASHES) then it MAY be possible. Ritt (as in Ritt Dye) makes a product for removing colors from fabrics. I've not used them, so you'd have to check the product label...

I hope that helps to some degree...

--Kai

3. Mst_Anakin

Jun 4, 2002
    thank you and yes it did help, I assumed it was impossible to dye leather, thank you again for your help.

4. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Glad I could help...

--Kai

5. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    Yes, but have you tried 'sanding' it? I would recommend taking a 200 or higher (finer) grit sandpaper and sanding the black off. It'll take the finish of somwhat, but if you use a finer grit sandpaper, it should get it brown. Just a thought. I've never done it, but I'd hate for someone to have to go buy new belts, especially if they are just right...

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    What about that Leather Spray that can turn its colour?

7. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002

Im sure you can get it in the US, here australia you can get an automotive viynl paint that when dries is flexable and glossy.
    If your gonna do it to a belt, buy a big can and give it multiple light coats of paint over the belt.

Viynl paint was originally invented to paint vinyl panels in cars without the car being upholstered again.

8. Mst_Anakin

Jun 4, 2002
    thanks guys, and my brother's friend is very happy with all the different ideas you've given him. He had some of one belt left over and is going to experiment on it. He sends his fondest wishes and luck on any costumes you are making and thanks you very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.