main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Can you name 5 trilogies that didn't let you down?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How, in all seriouness, can the Crystal Dull be better than Temple of Doom?

Firstly; Temple of Doom gave us the name Temple of Boom. Cypress Hill were impressive when they first showed up and their whacky pot advocacy was a breath of bong-water freshness on the scene.

But, I digress.

I think Temple is the weakest of the trilogy, but it's mostly the darkest. It doesn't lack an essential Indyness that Crystal Skull often did. Don't get me wrong, the opening of Crystal Skull, up until an octogenerian is getting a sponge bath. Some of the scenes in Peru were ok but the jungle fights were just poor and the ensemble cast weakened the focus on Indy. And the scene with the sinkhole just looked like a set. Ugh.

There were parts of Crystal Skull that I enjoyed, but it would have been a better film had Shia been sucked into a jet intake and not been Indy's son, and had it had less characters and a better ending.

I could almost forgive the fridge scene, but not that ending.

jp-30 likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You know that makes Vargs church-burningly upset right?

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    you know i can't make vargs happy all the time. you know i can't make anybody happy all the time.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Especially Vargs. He's proper fickle.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed as well.

It had Marion in it, and did not have Willie Scott. I'll take 10 Mutts over her, although I thought his being "Indiana Jones IV" was lame.

Marion is awesome, she should have been in all the Indy movies.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  6. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    LeBeouf wasn't the greatest, but he wasn't a huge travesty either. I thought he did a decent job. I also liked Cate Blanchett, but I don't think I've ever disliked her in anything. I do think it lacked some Indy-ness, but I think the things it lacked (for me) were also missing from Temple of Doom and, frankly, I just think Spielberg and co should stick to Western Judeo-Christian myths, because the weird use of other mythologies is part of what irked me about both ToD and CS. The ending really was truly, truly terrible, but on the whole I prefer it and find it more watchable. I've tried to rewatch Temple of Doom twice in the last 4 years and both times I haven't been able to make it through. Kate Capshaw's constant hysterics are too hard to stomach and Short Round is too annoying. I just can't watch it.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    My issues with Blanchett in that role was that it felt like a horrible miscast, which was disappointing because I was looking forward to her being in this. Also, she absolutely could not pull off that accent. At all.

8. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i seem to be the only person that actually likes mutt and what shia laboofs did with the character and how the character and dr. jones interacted with one another. i mean, they could have picked someone who would have been really terrible like that sixth sense boy or that zac the singer boy or that gordon-"keanu jr."-levitts. i'm not exactly thrilled by the prospect that he may become the new indiana jones, but if it happens i definitely think he'll be up to the task and that he'll do a good job with it.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    For me the quality difference between TOD and KOTCS boils down to this:

TOD - Spielberg in "Giving a damn" mode.

KOTCS - Spielberg on autopilot.

Ender_Sai and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Zac Efron is awesome how dare you.

11. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    haha

was he any good in that paperboys movie?

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    DarthTunick likes this.
  13. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I didn't watch it but he peed on Nicole Kidman in it so I bet you'd enjoy it.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I actually think the interaction between Mutt and Indy is the best thing about Crystal Skull. But better than Temple of Doom? Please. There are very few action sequences in any movie to measure up to the minecar chase. And Willie is unfairly maligned; she's actually really funny. The bit where they finally get out of the underground mine and then she turns around and Mola Ram is standing there and she just does this really epic full bodied scream always puts me on the floor laughing. Short Round is not the best idea in the world, but Willie is a lot funnier than people give her credit for.

15. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    only if it showed a direct wiener-to-body connection. but i'm guessing it doesn't do that.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The Dark Knight Rises was such a disappointment. And AaylaSecurOWNED is entirely right about the pacing issues. And I'm open to her stance on Skull>Doom.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I always wished Indy would have left her to get caught in the crossfire in that Shanghai nightclub. She annoyed the piss out of me.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

You won't convince me otherwise... I had one of my best experiences in a theater when watching this film with a friend of mine back in July, and nobody is taking that memory away. When I watched it again on DVD a couple of weeks ago, I was still entertained. How terribly shocking! :p As for your assessment on Doom when discussing the first three Indy movies, I feel the same way about Doom as I did BTFF 2... each is the weakest of the 3, but I still enjoy the film. As for KOTC, it was an enjoyable enough film, but dragged on in too many parts. I certainly thought the scene with the fridge was a bit odd, but I didn't get upset over it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is this based on your experience with Ukrainians?

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It just sounded like an incredibly fake accent. On par with Brits trying to fake American accents.

jp-30 likes this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Based on the forty odd minutes I saw between falling asleep multiple times, I fully endorse this statement.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Man, you fall asleep in movies a lot, have you talked to a doctor about that?

Adam of Nuchtern and Ender_Sai like this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I can stay awake if they hold my attention.

In the meantime, can someone please explain what the aliens were trying to accomplish by. . .dividing themselves into multiple aliens and then "dying" and. . .yeah I don't really know what happened. I get the sense that people that stayed awake the whole time didn't really get any better grasp of it.

24. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i didn't really care. i just sat there astounded by the sheer zaniness of it all.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was pretty much dead on for the region of the then-USSR that her character was meant to be from, sorry.

The Steve Zahniness? Or Timothy Zahniness?

Wocky, I've seen other people fall asleep in movies. They were well over 80.

So, tell me, what did you do for your 80th?

KnightWriter likes this.