main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can yu say........***BOOMDEGASER ALERT!!!! 4/15/05***

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

MUST FIND MACHINIST, BEARINGS EXPERT AND OIL SYSTEMS PRO NNNNOOOWWW!!!!!!!! I just had a bomb dropped on me that the PSRU I wanted to use is backed up production wise....nuthin' available until July!!!! That just sucks. Oh well, better order up that prop and those engine parts before "Murphy" slaps me down over those, too...FLOL!!!!

2. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Well, the engine parts have been ordered......my wallet is dry-heaving.

3. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

There is an outside chance that by meetin' time, the peripheral port 13B engine will be together and on it's test-stand! Man, but I still gotta clean the, um, building for ya'll....FLOL!

4. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

72", 3-bladed prop is ordered!!!! Still gotta make that reduction drive happen, but the chain company swears they can get me the 3:1 sprockets I need....."Stand by."

5. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Gave the chain company the go-ahead to get me a chain and sprocket set.....once I have it, I'll get to gettin' on the final design and contact any machinists' that are interested in the job. Secondly, I worked out the design for the drag rudders and elevons, so I'll start work on them this week.

6. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    HEY Tim....i want to see some pictures!! :) (if you have a chance.) :)

thanks!

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Spent all day at the hanger putting on four of the six side panels that surround the wing roots, and installing the improved 4-spring pack on the main landing gear. I'm beat down real bad....gotta go night-night before I fall over...FLOL!

8. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I don't believe this......in one day, I'm getting flak about the chaindrive and 'warranty' issues, and the prop people called to tell me that they're waiting on a special motor driver for the constant RPM unit, so I won't have my prop on schedule....DANG!!!! WHAT NEXT!?

9. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I managed to get the top wings adjusted/bolted in, and tomorrow I'll bolt down the lower wings. I've also begun tightening up the landing gear in prep for the engine/trans/prop weight....so far, so good!

10. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Prop folks say the motor unit will be in this week, hopefuly I'll see the prop by the following week. If anyone has a connection to Goodyear, please see my new thread concerning a belt/sprocket assembly. Thanks!

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I may have a company that'll supply me with the belt system....in the meantime, I'm soon to be off to the hanger for the night to make the ship ready for the troops coming out to sign her wing frames on Sat.

12. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

The power transmission company sent a mail saying they had a formulae for a 105mm Eagle PD belt that could take 9000RPM and a power load of 493HP!!!! Tomorrow, I find out the gory details like price, ect....FLOL!

Today, I spent all day bolting down the lower wings, temporarily installing the outrigger wheel assemblies, adjusting the main landing gear, repositioning the nose gear for weight increase/transfer, aaannndddd mounting the test canopy onto the fuselage.....the ship looks brutally kewl with her wing frames and canopy on!!!!

13. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Spent saturday mornin' putting on a new white primer coat, and cleanin' up the garage. Stacy, Jim Lloyd and wife wife, Millie showed up, so that was nice. Tomorrow, back out to finish bolting down the upper wing frames and prepping the aft of the ship for the engine mount, ect.

14. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Tim, the bird is lookin' great. I'll get my pics posted shortly, as I've been dealing w/Comcast issues once again.

15. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

No sweat, boss-man...glad you could make it out. Today I received the steel pulley assemblies for the prop speed reduction unit...it will use a 2.75" cog belt rated 300HP@9000RPM....SWEET! Unfortunately, the belt they sent was too small even though they said it was the right one....FLOL! Now, the belting company is getting me the right length belt, and my EAA bud(the guy you met on Sat, SS)is hard at work helping me design the framing, adjustment and bearing assemblies to hold the unit together at speed. If all goes well, we'll have the unit completely together and ready for installation on the engine by month's end! Keep all digits crossed, troops!!!!

16. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Well, apparently, I'll have the new belt, the engine parts and the prop by the end of next week......then all POO_DOO breaks out at the hanger!!!!

17. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Can we build pod racers after yer done, Tim? I'm starting to think it's possible -- just need a high-tension cable to hold the pods together, and the cockpit needs to be enclosed and heat shielded. I think we could it!

18. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Aw, cmon ZOOM, gimme sumthin' hard to work on, will ya?! FLOL! No, really, look at a podracer...what is it? Basically, you have a control pod, cabling, and two large turbines with some kind of anti-grav to hold them off the deck. Now, take modern tech.....place your very limited fuel supply in 'saddle' tanks on the turbines, and use "harrier-jet' tech to create vectored thrust areas to keep the entire assembly off the deck and to give you manuevering thrusters. Place an array of gyros on all major components, link them to a central computer and tune to your specific driving skills. Honestly, with some serious do-diligence, these buggers are completely feasible, and the salt flats are the perfect test-bed.......GO GET 'EM, HOSS!

19. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    The mis-adventure continues....

20. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

FLOL!

"Always with you what cannot be done!"

21. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

OOoooonnnn the downside, tho....the engine guys are killin' me. They just called to tell me they weren't confident that the Type II stationary gears(their inital recommendation)ordered for my engine would be sufficient to contain 300HP@9000RPM for 30 seconds if I got a little crazy with the throttle....FLOL! So, I'm having to wait for them to receive the hardened Type I stationary gears, which are on the water from Japan as we speak. I will say this for Racing Beat, however, they are aware of their clients needs, and work hard toward that end....kudos to them for that.

"Stand by."

22. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

On sunday, since sat I will be over at WOTR, I'm gonna break down my 'cherry-picker' and haul my 13B over to the hanger to start it's teardown.....I will also at that time begin the fabrication of the prop speed reduction unit's framing since I have said unit's pulleys available.

23. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

OOooo, fergot to note that last week I had doubled up the oak front strut thickness to ensure less give on hard landings, and I also began the arduous task of forming the all-too recongizable nosecap for the birds' fuselage.....getting those seven, 2" thick foam plates to glue together evenly was quite the trick!

I'm still contemplating whether or not to make a tray within the cap to hold an accessories battery, leaving weight available aft for larger main batts.

24. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I finally got my pics uploaded.

See Tim's X-Wing folder Here

25. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Thanks, SS!

Today I got the aft panel fairings almost completely done, got the front landing strut(doubled up the oak for less flex)cut to form & mounted, realigned the main gear(for the umpteenth time!), and began serious carving on the foam nosecap for the fuselage...a lil' too serious as I made an inaccurate cut, and had to reglue the piece back on. Tomorrow, I'll start carving on it again.

AND......I got the new 2.75" NO_POO_DOO cog belt to go with the very stout pulleys for the prop speed reduction unit. Right now, I'm marking up a couple of templates to begin the tedious process of making the mounting plates that'll support the pulleys, their bearings, the prop flange and.....what was that last thing to hook up????? Oh yea....THE ENGINE!!!! FLOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.