Can yu say........***BOOMDEGASER ALERT!!!! 4/15/05***

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Anybody know where I can get an 10,000RPM idler pulley for a 2.75" supercharger belt???? FLOL!

2. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
  3. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

It seems nobody makes an idler that can take that kind of mustard, so *OHHH!!!* I guess I'll have to have one of those made, too....FLOL! In the meantime, my EAA bud and I spent all day yesterday using a plywood flywheel, wood stand-off blocks and drawings(a normal design parameter in plane-making)to form the basics of the plate system for the prop speed reduction belt drive. Today, we will actually make the plywood plates, and test-fit them onto the rear engine sectional of my old 13B engine. Then, after my credit cards recover on about the 11th, I'll pick up the aluminum necessary to make these plates and start the final build-up of the unit.
  4. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Spent all day with my EAA pal rigging up plywood panels defining the plate structures of the prop speed reduction unit. We concluded through hours long discussion that an inverted stack of tapered roller bearings would act as thrust/side-load bearings, locking the propshaft in place, and simple high-speed needle roller bearings would handle the shaft loads away from the prop and on the front facing of the lower pulley. Tomorrow, I haul the pieces over to Whisler to see what they can do for me with regard to said bearings.

5. Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA

star 5
    any idea on a launch date?
  6. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Bro, I'm pushin' so hard right now my credit cards are screamin', my body is weak-knee'd, and my mind is a-reelin'!!!! Time holds no meaning for me anymore....it's just "How many X-Wing jobs can I get done today?!" Frankly, good 'ol reality will probably have it's way with me and not let me finish in time for CIII, but reality be damned, my X-Wing will be finished, it will fly, & I will auction it off on E-Bay for charity(and maybe to pay off my last plane debts so da wifey don't leave me.....FLOL!)

7. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think I just heard someone elses bank account bite the dust. ;) [face_devil]
  8. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Naw, just gaspin' fer breath like I do with my asthma.....like me, it'll survive. FLOL!

9. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

YES!!!!! Arrived at the Tracey Mountain Retreat today.......one inflight adjustable, electronically-controlled, three-bladed, 72" carbon fiber PROP!!!!! Oh, yea, things are lookin' up.

If someone wishes, someone may go to our FFDEN yahoo groups page and view an image of said prop temporarily assembled along with pics of the bird and the sim pics.

10. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Auctioning it off on ebay?????!?!?!?!?!?!??!

TIM!!! YOU CAN'T SELL YOUR CHILDREN ON EBAY!!!
  11. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Hey, once they're of age and they've proven themselves......*BOOT*....into da street they go....FLOL!

12. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

So, in the AM, provided this shift doesn't flail me into oblivion, I'll be headed over to the hanger with the propeller to dissassemble it and get the prop flange mountplate over to a machinist...hhhmmmm, I wonder where Kev's machinist is located?

13. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
  14. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

HUGEMUNGOUS, as in I got da plane's 72", 35LB, composite, 3-bladed, inflight adjustable, electronically-controlled PROPELLER!!!!! It's so perty.
  15. anthonymaul Jedi Master

star 4
  16. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Now all I gotta do is find a good machinist who can cut me the 1.5" pulley shafts and the prop flange.....ya'll know anybody? Thanks!

17. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

WHOA!!!! Big happenin's!!! Managed to scrounge up a large plate of 1/2" T6 aluminum that'll work great for the prop speed reduction unit's bulkheads, and Whisler Bearing says they've got the three bearings I need to complete the unit! Tomorrow, I'll go there to pick up said bearings, and then by tuesday, I should have the aluminum plate.....then it's off, hopefully, to the machinist's place for the final construction of the shafts and prop flange.

"Stand by."

18. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Well, I got the bearings for the prop speed reduction unit, and they seem to be what's needed. Tommorow it's on to the actual drafting of the plate forms that'll hold the unit together.

19. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Great news!!! Congrats, my friend. :D
  20. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Thanks, hoss.......

Murphy be damned, this ship is gonna fly!!!!

21. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Spent yet another day with my EAA bud squaring away the plans for the prop speed reduction unit. Tomorrow in the AM, we'll go over to a machinist's shop and see what they can do.....I'd use yur boyo, Kev, but I doubt he takes credit cards....FLOL! But hey, if he does, holler at me, K?

22. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Today I went with my EAA bud over to the machinist's shop where we discussed the drive unit. I should hear back tomorrow on the cost(damages...FLOL!)to have it built. I also today managed to get the nosecap completely carved and prepped for it's final coverings and hardware attachments to connect it firmly onto the fuselage.

23. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Fergot to mention that I also ordered the four linear actuators for the planes' elevon control system......now all I gotta do is rig 'em with four potentiometers and figure out how to link them to the electronic stick....FLOL!

24. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Yesterday I picked up the new lexan canopy pieces and the solvent to weld the pieces together. The lexan pieces wer match-cut by Plasticare from the existing plexi pieces that were mounted on the oak canopy frame. Hopefully, I'll be able to weld these lexan panels together making the oak frame unnecessary.

"OH!!!! Where is R2 when I need him!?"

FLOL!

25. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

Well, after trying to plasti-weld these lexan panels together with less-than-adequate acrylic solvent, I've opted to use a two-part solvent that is much thicker and stronger....and I've further opted to keep/use the oak canopy frame as added security. I've managed to mount all but the back lexan plate on the frame, and by tomorrow AM, I should be able to do the final honing and sealing of the canopy for mounting on the plane for good.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.