main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can yu say........***BOOMDEGASER ALERT!!!! 4/15/05***

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Got the holes bored for the output propshaft, but when trying to sandwich the prop hub, upper frame plate, cog belt and and large pulley onto the rest of the frame, the main pulleys' "taper-lock" would not lock as advertised....after MUCH working with the unit, I determined that the threads cut into the tapered bushing sectional were not cut all the way down, there was no way to get the correct tension on the piece. So, in the AM, I gotta go to some hardware store and get a 5/8", machine thread tap......POO_DOO!!!!!

2. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    "VVVvvvveeerryyy iiinnttterrreessttinngg........BUT STUPID!!!"

FLOL!

Actually, I may have conceived a strange, albiet workable method of mixing the flight controls on my bird so that all four wings only have one control surface each acting as an elevator and aileron, hence, an ELEVON. Normally, a computer would handle the chores, but since I'm having a devil of a time coming up with the actuators for said computer control system, I'm having to figure out how to control them manually......very difficult! Oddly enough, I really couldn't grasp the concept until I made a goofy model of the aparatus with cardboard, straws and scotch tape.....but hey......it seems to work. This weekend, I'll make a scale model of the controls out of R/C hardware, and test it further. If that works, out to the plane and make it for real!

3. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I was so poo-doo'd out today that all I got done was runnin' all over town to get a 5/8" machine-thread tap to work the main pulley bushing of the prop speed redcution unit...tomorrow, I'll try to do that work so that on my weekend, I can get onto the engine and mounts.

4. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Managed to find a hex driver to fit the hex set screw for the pulley bushing, but still no handle for the 5/8" tap......apparently, once you go over 1/2" taps, the handles get few and far between....FLOL!

5. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

After truckin' through POO_DOO loads of snow, I managed to get to my EAA buds' place where we diligently got the main pulley bushing to actually fit into the pulley face, then we packaged the entire the unit onto the base prop speed reduction engine plate, realized that the belt wouldn't fit on that way, or that way, or THAT WAY....FFFRREEELLL!!!!! FLOL. Well, we figured that one out, too, and moved on to mounting the small pulley to match the large pulley. Then we got to the high speed needle roller bearing which entailed boring oil passages into its machined steel housing & further tapping those ports to accept AN fittings for the oil lines.

Tomorrow we tackle the incredible problem of mounting a thrust plate to face against the thrust bearing to keep the prop from pushing everything outta whack; should only have to take about, oooohhhh, I'd say......800LBFT! And we still need to mount another sumthin' or other to keep the prop-drag from pullin' the entire guts OUT if the power is reduced....FLOL!

6. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

After working like madmen for the last two days, the prop speed reduction unit is nearly complete. We got the thrust washer assemblies done, and took the unit apart for the umpteenth time to bore/hone out the ports for the adjustable tensioning system which allows the bearings to be mounted at whatever distance we need for the proper said tension. The unit is outbound for the hanger, as will be the rotary engine/new parts after I disassemble it tomorrow after work. Then, Jim and I will get onto the task of mounting the engine to the drive unit, mounting the prop onto that, and rigging the entire package onto the aft sectional of the aircraft so we can fabricate the engine mount! Yea.....that'll work. FLOL!

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Gathered the tools together, and started tearing down my 13B for it's PP rebuild. Too bad the first component, the flywheel nut, is resisting so bad.......when a 2 1/8" socket, and a 3/4" drive breaker bar can't bust it loose, you know yur in trouble...FLOL! Anybody got a 3/4" drive impact wrench I can borrow????? FLOL!

8. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Well, the flywheel nut is still holding out against me......guess I'll have to heat the bugger up, and apply a 6' iron pipe to my breaker bar.....FLOL! Was gonna rent a 3/4" drive impact wrench, but the rent-guy told me he used it on his rotary, and it was a no-go until he heated it up.....oh well, at least he was honest!

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm glad you know what your talking about, I'm only understanding every 4th word or so, and when I put them together they don't make much since.

So this is just a shamless post, move along :D

10. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

FLOL! Not to worry, SC......most of the time, I don't know what I'm sayin' either!!!! Anyhew, the nut has surrendered to me(it only took some refined angle-strikes with my trusty 4lb maul, "Moljner", and then a steady lever pull with a, get this, 10' iron tube on my breaker bar/socket!!!!!

Like I'm now becoming fond of saying...."There's force, and then there's FORCE!!!!"

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

******TIME!!!!!!******

One 13B rotary engine disassembled by yours truly. And, I can't even believe this.........NO DAMAGE NOTED ANYWHERE!!!!! Now, lest MURPHY play hell with me, I wil concede that I am not a rotary expert, and therefore, will have to have said experts go over the engine with a fine tooth comb, but still.....I can't find anything normal wrong. No bad seals, all O-rings intact, no metal flake anywhere, no scored plating, no serrations in any of the faces, all apex seals moving freely even though they're coated in carbon(FLOL!)........

*sniff* It's a beautiful thing!

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm so happy for you Tim. So what are you going to name it??

13. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

The engine?! Why, "Heartbeat of the FORCE", what else!? FLOL!

14. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Getting ready to order up the rebuild kit.......gettin' all the particulars right is half the battle, but I'll get it right. I GOTTA get it right!!!! FLOL!

15. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Said rebuild kit is ordered, but probably won't be in my hot lil' hands until tuesday, so tomorrow I begin skinning the undersides of the wings to prep them for the fuel cells. I may skin out the nosecap as well provided I can smooth it up a bit first.

16. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

HHhhhhmmmm....why hassle with several smaller parachutes, when I can just rig up one monstrous 64' cargo 'chute......heck, they worked great when I was packing 'em in da Corps!

17. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Yep. Ordered one 64' cargo chute for the plane......now....where da heck do I get 3200' of parachute cord?! FLOL!

18. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Today, I got the first layers of glass on the nosecap, did the last of the upper wing internal structuring, and even managed to layup the first glass on the underside of the starboard wing foam panel!!!! I'm using 6oz plain weave cloth, so I figure two layers on the bottom inside, one layer on the outside, and a final wrap will do the trick.

19. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Today, I laid some more epoxy on the nosecap, completed another wing skin, finalized the positioning of the wings, made mods to the wing root ribs on all four wings, took a wing and wing skin to my EAA bud's place to verify the lay-up patterns AND rigged up a crude flight control system using PVC piping and fittings; it proved I should be using CABLES!!!! FLOL!

20. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Where do I remember the term, "Moljner" ??? Is it from HALO?

And should I ask why you're needing a 64' parachute? You're not installing an ACES II ejection seat are you??? ;) :p Or is it to slow down on landing?

21. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Mjolnir was Thor's hammer.

Kudos on the progress, Kit!

22. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Nice catch, SS! Sorry 'bout the spelling, M.......

Today, I coated the rest of the nosecap with epoxy and cloth, got the other lower wing skins clothed, coated the aft fuselage panels with epoxy & installed the leading edge root, mid and tip former blocks so I can form the wings' leading edges prior to clothing the rest of the wings. Now that I'm on leave until the 27th, the work is moving at a fever pace. I got my rebuild kit today, so tomorrow, I begin the 13B/300HP@9000RPM engine build-up process!!!!

23. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Today, my EAA bud came out to the hanger to look over the new engine parts, and we went to ge the proper distributor for said Weber-carbed engine. We also managed to finally config the pedals correctly, and I followed through by installing the brake reservoirs and the lines to their appropriate brake pistons. I also got all my engine parts laid out for installation and picked up various Loctite products for bolts, gaskets, ect.

24. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Spent most of the day trying to find some more brake line to finish the system, and the rest of the day trying to find small, castering pulleys for the nosegear.....dang aircraft parts....FLOL!

25. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    LOL

Still hoping to have it done by the Charity Premier?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.