main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can yu say........***BOOMDEGASER ALERT!!!! 4/15/05***

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    SURE! And then we'll do a an A-Wing, then a B-Wing, then a Tie Interceptor, then a Jedi Starfighter, and then........and....and.......FLOL!

2. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Muahahahaha! We will dominate the skies with the home made flight of super fighters! Muahahahaha!

3. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Go to PlastiCare, buy wax, mold release, fiberglass cloth, two-part foam, tooling foam, then wax model wing, finish hacking out lil' hull.......

4. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Apply two layers of gelcoat to wing master, then a layer of penetratin' epoxy, then a layer of 2oz fiberglass cloth & let set.......

5. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    this thing's gonna be really cool when your done.

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Okay....what are you building ?

How can I get in on it ?

I never thought I'd see Incom and Skunkworks together in a title, but it fits so beautifully. Quick...somebody summon the spirit of Kelly Johnson !!!!!

7. Jedi_Guy16

Nov 28, 2001
    pretty sure it's a life-size X-wing.

8. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Glory Hallelujah and praise Lockheed :D

9. Jedi_Guy16

Nov 28, 2001
    yeah. It's pretty cool. :D

10. Miccu_Resea

Miccu_Resea Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Im gonna wake up one day, see a fireball explode over Denver, and not even blink.

11. Jedi_Guy16

Nov 28, 2001
    lol. I could see that happening.

12. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Jus' got one thing to say, and it's on the 3D plans...........

"Do or do not.....there is no try."

And YES.......I'm still in need of a good Incom symbol!!!!

13. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I think I've got some in my books. Lemme find one.

14. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    If you really want to outfit this, you should build the chair into it, of course you'd never be able to concentrate on flying

15. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Remake scale wing mold several times to no avail.......have set of EPP wings made instead........

("A man's got to know his limitations.")

16. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    He should, but you don't :p

17. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Well, it's either an X-Wing, or a Skyhopper...perhaps a Snowspeeder...but my money's on the Skyhopper.

Kit -- the Incom logo you still need -- is that the little griffin-lookin' thing? How big do you need it?

18. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    And the carbon fiber -- do you have to bake the resin, or do you only need to bake the clear resin?

19. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Kit...or is it the black and white X-wing logo with Aurabesh font?

This is like, TOTALLY not the thread for some of us impressionable whackos that like to make stuff to be reading.

If only crosswinds wouldn't wreak so much havoc on a TIE-anything, I'd have to paint "Sienar Fleet Systems" on my garage.

:D

20. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    X-Wing......carbon fiber baking depends on the finish and strength needed for the job......don't know about the emblem.....just know that I need the actual Incom symbol as big and as clear as possible! Thanks!

21. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Hmmm...darn. I guess I really do need an autoclave for what I want to do with it. Oh well.

OK SUPER EXTRA HARDCORE STAR WARS GEEKS THAT KNOW LOTS OF NITPICKY THINGS -- is the Incom logo the little griffin-thing on the Skyhopper, or the X-Wing logo thingie with Aurabesh font?

22. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Why do yu need to autoclave, TK? For all but military applications, vacuum-bagging will bring out all the strength yu need, not to mention that autoclaving requires yu pull a vacuum anyway in order to eliminate particulates and gasses during baking.

23. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    HmMMMmmmmMMMMmmMmmMMmmmm...really???

Car and motorcycle parts...not to mention the endless possibilities -- CF CPU cases, mountain bike parts, etc. I've got sculpting and vac-forming down, and have worked with fiberglass before, but have never touched carbon fiber. Are there any books you'd recommend for this? Amazon's got tons, but most are outrageously priced, and without actually being able to thumb through a book or read a review (which most CF books on Amazon have neither), I don't feel comfortable blowing lotsa cash on it.

24. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Carbon fiber is diff to work with only in regard to complex shapes and directionalizing the fibers of each layer to make the strongest possible piece. But to autoclave the work, attention must be paid to climate control and the negation of outside contaminates. Some folks will flush an oven with a neutral gas and the vacuum the unit leaving a clean field to bake in. Just enter autoclave, carbon fiber, molding, ect. in any decent search engine, and yu'll find that someone that has already been there, done that and can help yu along. For the record, several layers of quality 2oz fiberglass cloth/epoxy properly vacuumed is going to be WAY stronger than even two layers of heavier carbon fiber on the same piece, and it'll cost a lot less overall. The key is to layer the cloth omni-directionally and really pull a strong vacuum, working out all bubbles along the way.

25. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Hmmm...much help you have been...yesss...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.