main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canada Community

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Dec 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, here's a topic where we can discuss about anything non-SW related things, like politics, daily life, whatever you want to discuss....

I hope I can start this thread without the approval of the admins.. but here we go!

2. Gandalf_the_White

Gandalf_the_White Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2000
    Ok, here's a start on Politics:

Do you think that Jean Cretien will maintain his plans to step down either partway through his term or at the terms end? Or will he go for four?

3. PadmeSkywalker

PadmeSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, I feel sorry for voters in the East and West. In terms of seat in if compared to the states Ontario is like California and New York rolled in to one... It's 1/3 of the seats...... I'm from Toronto and I wholeheartedly agree that Jean Chretien has been there too long. He will not last 5 years. I believe that there was a great chance that he might have stepped down and let Paul Martin run for these elections if he hadn't attempted that little 'coup' Chretien then saw himself forced to run in a way otherwise it would look as if he had given in to Paul Martin. I am rather dissapointed with the liberals track record on the environment and am no too confident in what they will do to improve it.

4. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Modal+Nodes+Freak Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 27, 1999
    as long as whoever is in charge deosn't let those stupid la quebec guys get their own stupid country i'll be happy.

as a Canadian forced to live in America i'm a bit out of things

5. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Modal+Nodes+Freak Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 27, 1999
    i don't really care what any of them think. i am content in the knowledge that i could kick their fat lazy asses. i swear like 75% of the US must be overweight. and i'm talking like 500 pounds overweight. least around here.

6. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    I'm currently vacationing in the States, and the amount of really really overweight people is amazing... Yet again, most of the food is fat free. Try and get a decent yoghurt or cheese!

7. ninjedi

ninjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2000
    Now now, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into an American bashing thread. The truth is 1/3 Canadians are clinically obese, the same percent as America, just look at Rita McNeal! I'm not particularly fond of Americans, and their ignorance of foreign cultures such as ours is only outdone by their ignorance of their own culture and history (ever watch Jay Leno's street interview segments?) But if we start bashing our southern friends, we will sink to the level of their arrogance, no? It's up to us to be better than that, cause let's face it: CANADIANS RULE!

8. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Ah - but the really important question is....
    should Stockwell heed the will of the Canadian public and change his name to Doris? Over 1,000,000 people -close to 10% of eligible voters- wish for Stockwell Day to be named Doris Day. It's what we as a nation truly want, the fella should be man enough to serve the people. :Þ

gotta love Canadian politics.

9. ninjedi

ninjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm personally glad Stockwell Day didn't win the election, although in BC, the alliance kicked butt. He's a wacko. What's this about creationism? Dinosaurs and humans together? Only in Turok and Jurassic Park you quack! I'd rather have a dishonest old slur-talking fart than a wacko any day. He'd probably declare war on the Americans for not allowing dinosaur cloning. Who cares what Chretien does for his pals, as long as he's not a wacko.

10. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Good thinking here, let's just not start bashing Americans, they are our allies and partners in every economic way. As for the Doris Day matter, I can't wait for this guy to chance his name... I think he won't be the head of the Alliance anymore, after the next meeting of the Alliance, they will vote against him, maybe we will see the return of *gulp* Preston Manning... Two wackos in the same party....

As for Chretien, I predict that he will let Paul Martin run the country in 6 months or less, he got what he wanted, majority in Quebec! I'm just unhappy that in my circonscription, one of those darn Blocquist got re-elected... what a lame-guy, he didn't do anything in the last 7 years.. I sure voted against him but looks like more people are less educated and still voted for him... :)

11. Vong_Master

Vong_Master Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2000
    Yo yo yo fellow Canadians. Whats up? The election went as thought, a clear lib. majority. Im from good old Saskatchwan.

12. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Thank God you're not of legal age to vote AT 60! :) One alliance vote less is a not a wasted vote! Or just throw your vote in the waste basket next election! :) LOL sorry.. It's just that Stockwell Day is a character from the Flintstones, he lives in the same age... the Earth is actually 6000 years old.. and the first humans were Adam and Eve.....

Warning, my sarcasm detector indicates a good 125 on a scale of 100... :)

13. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Ironicaly, they chose the same slogan as the Liberal Party in Quebec in 1960 for the provincial elections.. I really can't see where the change is needed, but if one should come, I would also vote for the Alliance, as long as Day is not the leader, but for the moment, Martin will be next PM, unless he really screws up, he'll be able to win 2 or 3 other mandates, never take out of your mind that the Alliance really did poorly in the rest of the country, Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, the next best choice was the Conservative, but only for their leader, the party is a dead one, it was beaten down to nothing by Mulroney and his gang in the end of the 80s

14. PadmeSkywalker

PadmeSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't think it's fair to criticize Stockwell Day for his beliefs. Creationism stories are found in all major religions and if you bash and ridicule Stockwell day you might as well say the Pope is a wacko too or any other person who goes to church, synagouge or mosce (spelling)

15. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    I just critisize the fact that he'll want to reform education in Canada, even though it belongs to the provinces and that now is not the time to live in the past, we must stay strong and look in front of us, not go back the the old values of 50 years past

Anyway, let's all put that aside and play hungry-hungry hippos!

16. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    >I don't think it's fair to criticize Stockwell Day for his beliefs. Creationism stories
    >are found in all major religions and if you bash and ridicule Stockwell day you
    >might as well say the Pope is a wacko too or any other person who goes to
    >church, synagouge or mosque (spelling corrected)

When a ridiculous claim is made, there is nothing wrong with criticising it.
    Did you know that in this day and age, there are still people who believe -solely on an interpretation of the bible- that the world is flat. Now, while we can respect their faith, I think that we can be quite justified in pointing out how very wrong they are.

The right to criticise grows all the more when we are looking towards a leader for the nation. These are going to be some difficult times ahead. Science is bringing us leaps and bounds ahead of where we once were. We are delving into the very roots of matter and energy. We are pulling apart one by one the building blocks of life and learning how to put them back together again. The ethical dillemnas that we will face, both as a nation, and as a species, they are unprecedented. It's bad enough that the majority of our leaders have limited understanding of the underlying science of the dillemnas we face. But to put at the helm someone who out and out rejects that science...

Yes - every major religion on this planet has a creation tale of one sort or another. However, only a small fraction of people believe these tales to be literal . Most churches take their creation tales to be allegorical in nature. An establishing of the positions between man and god. You mention in your post the Pope. Here's what he had to say on the matter back in 1981,

"Cosmogony itself speaks to us of the origins of the universe and its makeup, not
    in order to provide us with a scientific treatise but in order to state the correct
    relationship of man with God and with the universe. Sacred Scripture wishes
    simply to declare that the world was created by God, and in order to teach this
    truth, it expresses itself in the terms of the cosmology in use at the time of the
    writer. The sacred book likewise wishes to tell men that the world was not
    created as the seat of the gods, as was taught by other cosmogonies and
    cosmologies, but was rather created for the service of man and the glory of God.
    Any other teaching about the origin and makeup of the universe is alien to the
    intentions of the Bible, which does not wish to teach how heaven was made but
    how one goes to heaven."

You can find this and the statements that dozens of scientists, educators and theologins have to say against 'Creationism' at this site... http://www.aaas.org/SPP/DSPP/DBSR/Voices/Voicetoc.htm#part1

um.. erm.
    sorry. When I'm not on a Star Wars related forum, I'm usually over at a forum on World Religions. Had this debate a number of times.

Okay - we've covered two out of the three topics guaranteed to cause a fight, politics and religion. Anyone care to bring up money? :)

17. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    >I'm an Alliance supporter. Day should NOT change his name to Doris.

It was This Hour has 22 Minutes that came up with that one, but I think it was a very effective demonstration -- in a day and age where most protests are either pathetic excuses for folks to riot or sad attempts to feel effective by performing the least amount of effort possible.

The backlash against the Alliance referendum idea is that
    a) referendums are extremely expensive -- about $195 million to hold but a single one.
    b) with a benchmark of 3%, it would be possible for any kooky idea to achieve a referendum... even something as kooky as getting Stockwell to become Doris.

I say kudos to THH22M, for getting a point across loud and clear.
    What further shot the Alliance down in my books was how they handled the aftermath of the referendum issue. All of the canidates were on completely different pages - some completely different books - regarding the issue. One was saying that the threshhold would be set at a fixed number after reviewed by a committee. Another was stating that the number would be variable depending upon the issue. Yet another was stating that the referendums would be non-binding.... $200 million per decision so they can see which way the wind blows with the public?

The Alliance, unfortunately has become simply another regional party. It's time for a change alright - but let's have a change that works for all Canadians - from sea to shining sea.

>Whoever thought up that idea deserves to spend a day locked in a room
    >with Jean Chretién...

Okay, now you're just being cruel. There's got to be something in the Geneva convention against that sort of thing.... ;)

18. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes, I think it says in the convention that any kind of torture is illegal and a war crime.. we are not at war but it's not a reason to torture a soul with such torment! Even the Spectre, the Wrath of God, would never punish a murderer that way!!

19. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    In the west corner....

The challenger. A new face on the Canadian political spectrum. A two-fisted terror, with a blaster at his side and a smile twelve parsecs wide....

Thrawn60!!!

And in the east corner...

Friend to imaginary homeless men everywhere, bearing his deadly Inuit statuette...

the minister of pies, what a guy.....
    Jean Chretien!!!

And the crowd begins to chant.
    two go in.
    one comes out.
    two go in.
    one comes out.
    (cue the Mortal Kombat theme music now)
    For those Americans lurking - this is simply an approximation to the parlimentary system. Actual occurances in the House of Commons are more boring than portrayed.

;)
    I remember hearing Mulroney on a talk show a couple years back being asked what he thought of Chretien. The Chin just chuckled and said, "Funny how Jean's picked up all my policies and taken them further than I ever planned to go."

20. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Looks like everything is quiet in here... are you all still sleeping?

21. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Ok, any new subject besides politics?

22. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    All I can say: VOTE NOW! VOTE NOW!

Cris~

23. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Vote what?

24. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    We must elect a new chancellor, a strong chancellor, one that will keep the bureaucrats in line.

25. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Wait 6 months AT60, he should get out of office by then and let Martin be PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.