main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canada votes 2004

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by C-3PX, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    The election is almost apon us and it looks like the conservatives might squeek into office.

What do you think? What party should get in? What will happen if said party gets in?

I'm voting NDP. The liberials (without ol' Jean) and wishy washy, sorry PM. The Conservs scare me and I hope to god the Liberials stay in office. I wish the NDP would get in but I'm not holding my breath.

2. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I'm hoping the Conservatives make it in myself. The Liberals have screwed up one too many times, and the NDP are a little too... left winged for my tastes.

I think the most solid vote would be for C. Besides, you don't all want to be Not Cs do you?

3. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I want a Liberal run minority government. That should shake things up enough without going over board on the right wing garbage the Reform/Conservative Party are trying to import from the US.

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Been voting Liberal for over 20 years. Not about to change.

5. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'll be voting NDP

The Conservs scare me and I hope to god the Liberials stay in office. I wish the NDP would get in but I'm not holding my breath.

I totally agree C-3PX :(

6. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    I haven't the slightest idea which way I'll vote. I've never liked the Liberals and their rather casual view of democracy (ie parachuting candidates into ridings without having the local Liberal members vote). The Conservatives don't impress me much - I still remember the last time they held office. Do we really want a repeat of that? And I just cannot support the NDP's policies, but they won't win anyway so who really cares what their policies are?

I'm truly sick of the whole party system we have where it doesn't matter who you elect in your riding because they're just a puppet for the star chamber (ie cabinet) in Ottawa. I would really like to see a reformed system, but that's not realistic since the party in power has an interest in keeping the system the same as it is.

I'll vote, but I honestly don't know or really care for whom. It'll be the same in the end anyway. As they say, same poop - different pile.

7. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    NDP here. Far enough left for me.

8. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I haven't decided yet, I really don't want the Conservatives to get into office. Probably NDP or Liberal.

9. Sahiri

Sahiri Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2002
    I want a Liberal run minority government. That should shake things up enough without going over board on the right wing garbage the Reform/Conservative Party are trying to import from the US.

I agree.

10. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    I would vote liberal...if I could vote because well I really dislike stephan harper and my friends promised to move if there was a conservative government...

11. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I'll be voting NDP

The Conservs scare me and I hope to god the Liberials stay in office. I wish the NDP would get in but I'm not holding my breath.

I totally agree C-3PX

I will be voting NDP. I don't think the liberals are any good, but Conservatives are going to be burning books and waving the american flag on june 29th if they win so . . . I hope the rest of Quebec wakes up and realises that a vote for the Bloc is a vote for Dubya of the North.

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    LOL [face_laugh]

"Dubya of the north"

13. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    This is extremely interesting. The polls say that the Conservatives are in the lead, but I think I'm the only one here to specify my liking towards them. Does this, therefore, mean that Star Wars fans are more left wing than the average person?

Or maybe the Conservatives are too busy making arrangements for the victory party to post ;).

14. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I wasn't planning on Voting at all in this election, But then I realized that just throwing my right to vote, and that would be stupid.

While I am not voting Liberal this time around, becuase I am just so fed up of the Crap that they have been pulling lately, I will most likely be voting NDP.

15. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I can't claim I've been keeping up with everything, but from what little I do know, I'd rather the Liberals than the Tories. So it really depends on which way my riding usually swings, if it's Tories, I'll probably vote Liberal. If it's always Liberal, than probably NDP.

Blah. They'll all lie anyway.

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I'll be voting NDP. I'd vote Green, but they are too fringey and extremist to actually weigh in on any of the important issues in the country. They've said buggrall about healthcare, or education, frinstance: it's just all trees and salmon and grizzly bears. What about the people, I ask you?

That is of course, if I remember on the day of, and if I can prove residency: I have to get my ID updated, after all.

*Derisa*

17. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    The Green Party has lots of babes, I saw some putting up signs downtown today :) .

18. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Well, that's good enough for me - I'm voting Green. :D

19. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Well, I guess I can't vote (something tells me you have to be a Canadian citizen to do that, even though I live in the country ;) ), but if I were to, I would vote Conservative, so you're not alone, Mert. Now, I don't know all the platforms and such, so I may be saying that in ignorance. I will be voting in the American election, however, and "Dubya" definitely has my vote. I'm sorry, but there's no way I could ever support in good conscience most of the things those Democrats push for.

How similiar are the Republican/Democratic parties to the Liberal/Conservative parties here, if anyone knows?

I'm planning on becoming a Canadian citizen in the future, so this will be interesting to watch and learn about. :)

20. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Rebublican Party...old Reform Party/Alliance/Socreds.
    Democratic Party...Conservative Party.

Liberal/NDP/BQ...no true analogs in the US for these.

21. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Unfortunately, no one has an excellent platform. If you agree on one issue, then you end up disagreeing on the next. You can never win. :(

Either way, I think it might be benificial if we ended up with a minority government this time around...

22. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I dont vote.

23. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Even if you don't vote, you should still go out and spoil your ballot (vote for 2 people or vote for Han Solo)... shows that you have at least had a voice, and shows that you exist and care enough to make a choice; even if that choice is to NOT choose.

The right to actually be able to vote is a pretty important one in my opinion.

24. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Amen Brotha!

I just realised this is going to be the first federal election I can vote in! :)

25. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    To slightly correct what Indigo said, if you vote for Han Solo, or check off two names, or decide to use the ballot for oragami, it's simply written off as "ruined".
    To truly make a point that you are choosing not to participate, you hand the ballot back to the proctor without filling it out and state that you are "refusing" your ballot. They have to deal with these seperately and individually count how many people essentially decided that they didn't support any of the candidates.

That said, I hate watching these debates, I always come out of them wishing Duceppe wasn't so insistent on this whole French kick, because otherwise I'd vote for him in a snap :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.