Canada Canada votes 2004

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by C-3PX, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitFist0 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think voting should be mandatory like it is in Australia. Either you vote or you are taken off government plans (health care, public schools, etc.)

Maybe, then people will realise that the ability to choose isn't something to be discarded just because you are too lazy or too apethetic to do your duty and voice your opinion. People die daily to get this right, don't pass off on a chance to be heard.
  2. R2-12point Jedi Knight

star 3
    Watched the debates. It struck me that we had the following:

One guy who was open about wanting to be the Emperor.

One guy who's Palpatine to the core, outwardly Mr. nice, inwardly, you suspect, something else.

One separatist Dooku.

And one funny little guy who seems to think he's got the power of Yoda to make everything magically better somehow (though he seemed very able to sense the darkside).

Gotta envy those yanks sometimes. They only have two noodleheads to lament over. It cuts down on the work.
  3. R2-12point Jedi Knight

star 3
    >>>>This is extremely interesting. The polls say that the Conservatives are in the lead, but I think I'm the only one here to specify my liking towards them. Does this, therefore, mean that Star Wars fans are more left wing than the average person? <<<

I'm happily centrist. As a small business owner, I'd love to see the Conservatives win. But the social progress side of me shudders at the thought of their reactionary militaristic-religious BS.

So I honestly CAN'T vote my conscience in this election. What's a poor humanistic capatalist to do?
  4. Arsinoe Jedi Knight

star 3
    "I think voting should be mandatory like it is in Australia."

I agree with this!! Whole heartedly. I have only missed voting in ONE election...and that was only because I didn't meet the residency requirements after I moved. I was out by a couple of days.

"So I honestly CAN'T vote my conscience in this election. What's a poor humanistic capatalist to do?"

Vote for the least offensive candidate. ;)
  5. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    I didn't watch the debate, and haven't watched any probably since I was legally eligible to vote. I'm curious as to why people do watch them. Do these debates affect the way you are going to vote? Do you find them in some way entertaining? Are they informative?

Another question, who's in charge of deciding which party leaders can debate and which cannot?
  6. KitFist0 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the debates are a good thing but I didn't get to watch them because I was working :(
  7. R2-12point Jedi Knight

star 3
    >>>Do these debates affect the way you are going to vote? Do you find them in some way entertaining? Are they informative?<<<<

The middle one. Definitely the middle one.
  8. Sar-Tamber-lac Force Ghost

star 5
    I think voting should be mandatory like it is in Australia. Either you vote or you are taken off government plans (health care, public schools, etc.)

Maybe, then people will realise that the ability to choose isn't something to be discarded just because you are too lazy or too apethetic to do your duty and voice your opinion. People die daily to get this right, don't pass off on a chance to be heard.

*applauds Kit*
  9. C-3PX Force Ghost

star 6
    Then we just have to make sure people vote right.

We need more artic prisons in Canada...
  10. Darth_Haggis Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] Wouldn't the courts argue against that on the basis of cruel and inhumane punishment? (Something to do with freezing the bodies of hypothermic prisoners...) ;)
  11. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    I know that voting for the Bloc is a waste of paper but somehow, in these elections, they appear to be the best choice. Here's why: They won't form the goverment. 2- They know how to complain, they've been doing that for 8 years as the main opposition.

But in all seriousness, I won't give them my vote. Neither will I give it to the Reform... it's funny to see how much a difference in the eastern way of thinking is so opposite to the western provinces. What is causing that? Hot dang, I fergot to feed my chickens this mornin'! hehe Gotta love the "rednecks" :) Seriously, what is creating this difference? For most of Ontario, it should be liberals, for Quebec, unfortunately, the Bloc and for the Maritimes, they have a tendancy for the NDP which I admit, have a few good ideas but Layton seems to be enjoying these days too much... Note that it's refreshing to see a party leader smiling for no apparent reason :)

Anyway, my opinion is not totally formed, but it sure won't be for the conservatives/reform.... hehe.. I love the word Refoooooooooorm.. takes us back a few years.. where is Preston Maning anyway?? hehe
  12. Jedi_Squire Jedi Master

star 2
    The Liberals are getting pretty desperate based on their ads. I am hoping that Harper can beat out Martin. The NDP did get a nice facelift compared to what the country has seen in terms of leadership in the last decade. I do like how they are the only party, besides the Conservatives; that are willing to bring the environment into the election. However, the NDP is still the NDP. That means tax the crap out of the rich. And as those of us in Ontario know from the Bob Ray years, everyone how does not live in a cardboard box is considered rich in their eyes.
    I am just not looking forward to the court cases concerning the ministers that were terminated over the sponsorship scandal. Since they claim they were wrongfully terminated will being a member of cabinet, guess who is paying for they defense. That is right us. The best part is, if they win, we have to pay them. Whatever happens with that, at least it will serve as an example.

The only thing that I wish Harper asked Martin in the debate was why his family business (Canadian Steam Ship) is not registered in Canada. I would have loved to hear his response to that one. The real answer is that he would have to pay a few million in tax dollars to register the business in Canada, and he does not want to do that. He must have a lot of faith in the country. :)

But that is just my opinion.... Dennis Miller. :)
  13. DarthSmurf Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love the word Refoooooooooorm.. takes us back a few years.. where is Preston Maning anyway?? hehe

I miss the days where they would make fun of him on Air Farce. :(

Man, loads of people voting NDP. I'm voting Conservative.
  14. Cow_Girl Chapter Rep Niagara ON, CA

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    This stage of the elections is always my favorite becuase this is when the canditates really start getting desperate and the *Real* mudslinging gets started :)

I wonder if the Canditates ever look at themselves and wonder Hmmmm, what I am doing is really immature, Yet I still think I have what it takes to run a country...
  15. Mokitty Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think, no matter what party is in power, there's going to be a certain amount of scandal and mispending of money and corruption; that is the nature of human greed mixed with the power of governance. I feel like, for all the billions they wasted, at least now the Liberals are making vague acknowledgements that the corruption exists. No party, no matter their goals or ideals, or the charisma and truthfulness of their leaders, can keep a promise to not have any corruption within their ranks.

And myself, I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote Liberal this time.

I was really, really hoping that Steven Harper would do something to convince me he'd be at least SOMEWHAT different from Mike Harris or George Dubya, but in my opinion, he has failed to do so.

I was also hoping that Jack Layton would tell me where all this money is going to come from. He wants to cut some taxes, but increase health care, environmental, and military spending; all commendable goals but as far as I can see there is little substance or solid planning as to where this money is going to come from. I was too young to vote when the Tories were in power in Ontario, but even just by being in school as they were in power... I know all too well what can happen when a party is elected that promises to cut taxes and increase spending. You just can't have it both ways.

And as much as I hate Paul Martin, he gets kudos for acknowledging and stating that fact in plain English. The bottom line is, the seemingly conflicting promises the other two parties are making worry me more than the money that's already gone and isn't coming back.
  16. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, after finding out that I wasn't in the riding I thought I was in, and then spending a week trying to find out who the HECK the candidates for the riding I'm actually in are, I'm in a worse fix than before.

My riding is COMPLETELY illogical. We've got pieces of two cities that don't have the same interests at ALL mashed in with a huge rural region.

I toyed with voting for the independant... until I found out he lives in Massachusettes.

At this point, I'm saying Simon Teakettle for Prime Minister.

Yes, he's a cat. But his owner says he'll push for electoral reform to get ALL of Riverview back in the Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe riding. If I was back there, well, our MP has been excellent and it would have been easy for me to vote for her.
  17. Mokitty Jedi Knight

star 1
  18. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    Not voting.

Not because of being lazy or notcaring or not wanting my voice heard or any other cockamany excuse forced on me by those wanting to vote.

Either way you are sanctioning a group of people to control our country with grandoise promises and equal flak from its opposition.

They are all rich, self orientated, whiners who want it all. And when they get it they end up cutting something off, like funding or healthcare or something stupid.

Hense I don't vote. I will deal with that decisipon as I have the past 5/6 years and I will from now on.

19. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    But in all seriousness, I won't give them my vote. Neither will I give it to the Reform... it's funny to see how much a difference in the eastern way of thinking is so opposite to the western provinces. What is causing that? Hot dang, I fergot to feed my chickens this mornin'! hehe Gotta love the "rednecks"

Hey, hey, we're not all rednecks out here. I'm voting Liberal, not Refo-o-o-o-o-o-orm. :D I live in a Navy town, and have a lot of military friends that I don't want to see wind up involved in an all-out war in Iraq. They might go to Afganistan, but they will be donning the Peacekeeping blue berets of the UN if they do.

And FYI, I always feed my chickens, as long as they're not hidin' under dem 4 old car chassis I got out back. Usually they peck and scratch for loose corn that didn't wind up in the moonshine next to Pappy's shed. ;)

- Rani
  20. Cow_Girl Chapter Rep Niagara ON, CA

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    We are on the Eve of the Election, Everyone pretty much decided?
  21. AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Master

star 4
    if i could vote it'd be NDP.
  22. Mokitty Jedi Knight

star 1
    Either way you are sanctioning a group of people to control our country with grandoise promises and equal flak from its opposition.

They are all rich, self orientated, whiners who want it all. And when they get it they end up cutting something off, like funding or healthcare or something stupid.

I used to think that way, and I have a lot of friends that still do.
    Maybe I'm just too cynical nowadays, but I eventually decided that's inevitable no matter where you go. It's just what happens when you mix human nature with power... corruption. It's unlikely that the leaders themselves are all too corrupt, they wouldn't get there if the others in the party suspected they'd done something that could hurt the group and thus the individuals... it's the people behind the scenes, the little guys, that we gotta watch out for. At that point I decided it was time to start picking the lesser of evils amongst the little guys - my local MPP/MP candidates.

cow_girl:
    I've made up my mind but I'm pretty sure it won't matter. Either way we'll have a minority. Yet even knowing that I'm strangely anxious about tomorrow's results.
  23. Cow_Girl Chapter Rep Niagara ON, CA

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Either way we'll have a minority. Yet even knowing that I'm strangely anxious about tomorrow's results

I realize that, I wish that it wasn't so, I was really hoping for a Majority goverment so at least *Something* will get done, But it looks like thats not going to happen this time around :(
  24. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    I've basically decided to vote for the party that doesn't scare me and actually has a chance of beating the one that does.

At my age, they should be glad I'm voting at all. :p
  25. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually welcome a minority government. The parties will be working harder, because it won't be the cakewalk of ramming though everything they feel like. Parliament shouldn't just be a glorified rubber-stamping committee.

We plan to hit the polls around 2p.m., when they're not quite so busy. How about everyone else?

- Rani
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.