Canada Canada votes 2004

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by C-3PX, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mokitty Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll probably go in around suppertime. I'd like to go earlier, when it's not busy as you say, but I've got stuff to do around the house today, so I'm gonna procrastinate. ;)
  2. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    I just got back from the polling station. Somehow, my name had already been crossed off the voters list, so we had to figure out if I just had to give an oral oath or sign a form to swear I hadn't voted yet. My mother was vouching for me, since it was impossible for me to get to the polling station on my own. Because of the STUPID riding boundary change, it was a twenty minute drive from my house, instead of a five minute walk like the station we had back when the boundaries made sense.

They assured us that candidates would be able to drive people who can't get there, but we never got so much as a PAMPHLET from anyone. NONE of the candidates actually live in Riverview. They were all from either Saint John (WHY are we in the same riding as them?) or rural Albert County. Either way, I get the impression that whoever my MP is tomorrow, they aren't going to have Riverview's concerns in mind.
  3. Cow_Girl Force Ghost

star 5
    I just voted :)

I wanted to get to the polls before they closed since I have to work till 9pm tonight and I don't think I would have made it back in time to vote.
  4. C-3PX Force Ghost

star 6
  5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Riding boundaries can be a pain, but keep in mind, in more sparsely populated parts of the country, people are lumped in from all over the place to make up one riding. In BC it's one riding per 107,000 people (ref: Victoria Times Colonist, today, page A7), but only BC, ALberta, and Ontario follow that guideline. The other, less populous provinces have more seats per capita, with PEI taking the cake at four, which is one per 25,000 people.

And people wonder why the West feels under-represented and ignored on a national level. :( (But what do you expect from "hicks" and "rednecks" :( )

*Derisa*
  6. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, Derisa, we should be flattered. "Redneck" is a promotion up from "hippie", isn't it?

`scuse me, gotta go. Gotta feed those chickens before Dukes of Hazzard comes on, and I can't miss that. That show really appeals to the "way of thinking" in the "western provinces". [face_plain]

- Rani
  7. KitFist0 Force Ghost

star 4
    BC is not redneck country.
  8. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Not according to this:

it's funny to see how much a difference in the eastern way of thinking is so opposite to the western provinces. What is causing that? Hot dang, I fergot to feed my chickens this mornin'! hehe Gotta love the "rednecks" Seriously, what is creating this difference?

Maybe it's comments like these from those with the "eastern way of thinking" that create that difference? Hmm?
  9. Mokitty Jedi Knight

star 1
    oh god please the last thing we need is an east vs west thread

the libs won
    and paul martin is giving his speech now

happy early canada day guys
  10. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, it's a minority government for the Liberals. Which means we'll be doing all this again very soon, probably within a year. And for the first time in many years the Liberal party members are not all happy campers - frankly, it looks good on them. I don't see Martin lasting as leader for very much longer, he doesn't seem to have a lot of support from the party members.
  11. KitFist0 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, it's a minority government for the Liberals. Which means we'll be doing all this again very soon, probably within a year. And for the first time in many years the Liberal party members are not all happy campers - frankly, it looks good on them. I don't see Martin lasting as leader for very much longer, he doesn't seem to have a lot of support from the party members.

Not with the NDP backing them.
  12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    An East vs. West thread... what an interesting idea...

Election-wise, I was happy to see the Green party get their funding percentage to remain a party. Anyone remember the good old days of the Rhino Party?

*Derisa*
  13. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    A friend of mine kept saying he was going to run for the Rhino party. Don't think he ever did.
  14. Lelila Jedi Master

star 4
    How interesting. A majority government is 155 seats, the Liberals (135) and the NDP (19) only have 154 combined. I'd say the Liberals should be pretty happy - until a few days ago, we didn't even know who would form the minority government.
  15. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    My mother was saying that if we had a Rhino candidate, she probably would have voted for him because none of our MP candidates were impressive. Even the independant was a poor option for a protest vote, seeing as he lives in Massachusettes. :p

The thing with our boundaries is that Riverview used to ALL be part of the Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe riding (funny thing, that :p). The bad part of being mushed in with part of Saint John is that Metro Moncton and Saint John are somewhere between bitter rivals and mortal enemies. :p

Liberal minority. I'm just glad that it's not the Conservatives. They give me the creeps.
  16. DarthSmurf Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ah, I spent allllllll day yesterday working at my local poll as a Candidate Rep. That is a looooong day. I have come to appreciate the people who work at the polls.

Liberals won a minority, not surprising. I'm just glad that Peter MacKay won in my district.
  17. Java_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad to see so many did go out and vote. I can't vote here, but do follow the races a bit. I have to say I was worried the Con. would win.

I do vote back home though, via ab. ballot. I try to vote in teh major ones each time. Voted Clinton, the following election I voted Howard Stern. lol. Come on, Gore vs. Bush? Like that was a real election. This time around I think I'm going Kerry, but we are here about Can. votes. ;) If I had been able I would have gone LIb. I think.
  18. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Not that I ever would have voted Conservative but they could have at LEAST made the effort to show up at the Native Forums that were held around here. Every other candidate showed up BUT the conservatives. Shows how much they want the minority vote.
  19. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    DarthSmurf, what does a Candidate Rep actually do at the polls? I saw a few of them seated behind the table I was directed to, and it appeared they were monitoring the job the ballot collectors were doing. Is that pretty much what is involved, acting as a witness to keep it all honest and above-board?

- Rani
  20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm curious, as well: do you get paid for that work?

*Derisa*
  21. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    [Lelila]: "A majority government is 155 seats, the Liberals (135) and the NDP (19) only have 154 combined."

This is very interesting. Certainly there will be recounts in the coming days which could change this, but if these results stand and the Liberals form an alliance with the NDP, they'll also need the backing of the one independant which was elected in order to get a majority. Alternatively, they could form an alliance with the Bloc, which would be more entertaining than productive.

I'm a little surprised, and disapointed, that the Liberals had as much of the popular vote that they did (37% was the rate that I saw). I suppose some of this was due to the fact that many Canadians didn't like what they thought was the only alternative - the Conservatives. Which makes me wonder why they don't vote for another party instead. We as Canadians keep getting fed crap by the same two parties in federal government, and instead of doing something about it, we act like the polite Candians we are and say, "Well, it needs more salt, but it's not too bad. Can I have another serving?"

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    I've never worked as a candidate rep, but assuming they're also called scrutineers, I can tell you the explanation we were given when I worked as a poll clerk.

Essentially, it is to keep everything above board as you said. The scrutineer can object to a voter if they think they're not eligible to vote in the election, although the Deputy Returning Officer gets the final say, they just record the objection if they allow the vote anyway. The other thing the scrutineers do is watch the counting of the ballots, often keeping their own tally sheet to make sure there's no tomfoolery.
  23. Lelila Jedi Master

star 4
    lord-darkhelmet:
    I suppose some of this was due to the fact that many Canadians didn't like what they thought was the only alternative - the Conservatives. Which makes me wonder why they don't vote for another party instead. We as Canadians keep getting fed crap by the same two parties in federal government, and instead of doing something about it, we act like the polite Candians we are and say, "Well, it needs more salt, but it's not too bad. Can I have another serving?"

Exactly, I voted based on what I didn't want, not what I did want. The lesser of evils, if you will. The Conservatives freak me out so I wanted to make sure they didn't win, and voting liberal was the best way of doing that because in my riding the NDP never does well (many rich religious people) and the Conservatives do quite well (my riding ended up liberal this time). As for the two parties that keep getting most of the votes...that's a problem. But I think that when they are this big, essentially the way it works is that we have a two party system outside of Quebec - most vote for either one just because they know the less popular parties (NDP) have no shot. And many are scared of change - we know where things will go if the Conservatives or Liberals are in power, but the NDP are unknowns, and it could be much worse for all we know.
  24. DarthSmurf Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Essentially, it is to keep everything above board as you said. The scrutineer can object to a voter if they think they're not eligible to vote in the election, although the Deputy Returning Officer gets the final say, they just record the objection if they allow the vote anyway. The other thing the scrutineers do is watch the counting of the ballots, often keeping their own tally sheet to make sure there's no tomfoolery.

That's exactly what they do. A completely boring job, but I got about $150 dollars for doing it.
  25. Cow_Girl Force Ghost

star 5
    Its three days later and I am still not sure who won my riding, Isn't that sad?

The Vote was really close and was apperantly back and fourth. The son of one of the Candiates committed suicide 2 days before the election so nothing has really been announced yet. As in, Wether or not said candiate will accept the posistion if she did win.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.