main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canada's relationship with Britain

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I know this is not a political forum, but if a marijuana discussion is allowed here, this should be as well. Besides, the Senate just isn't the place for this. I want to talk about this issue with Canadians, not foreigners.

First, a question. I was just reading BBC's timeline of Canada, and it says that in 1982, Britain transferred the final legal rights to Canada, making Canada completely free and equal to Britain in the Commonwealth. However, I was always under the impression that every law must be signed by Her Excellency Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General of Canada. I'm sure you all know that the Governor General is Her Majesty's repesentative to Canada. So then, if you think of it, if the Governor General decided she didn't want to sign anything, Britain would have complete control over us. So, my question is this: are we really free? Does Britain have any control over us? If so, in what ways?

This thread has two purposes. In addition to getting this question answered, I would like to promote intelligent discussion and debate about our relationship with Britain. Do you feel we should be flying the Union Jack and singing "God Save the Queen", or do you feel we should take down all the pictures of Her Majesty, remove the position of Governor General from our government system, and declare complete separation from Britain and the Commonwealth?

Personally, I believe things are just fine the way they are. Or, at least, the way the BBC claims they are. I want the Canadian government to have complete control over the counry, with no British control whatsoever. However, I recognize the importance of the monarchy in our history, and I want us to continue those ceremonial ties. I think our membership within the Commonwealth is a good thing, as long as we are indeed equals with Britain. A ceremonial link to our former mother country is good, but I don't want to be anyone's colony.

2. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well, we certainly aren't a colony. We really are completely independent. The Governor General does sign laws, but I don't think she is going to attempt to go against everyone else who passed the law before her. She's more of a ceremonial representative of the Queen, and has about the same amount of power/influence. Note: I'm no law or politics expert, but I think that's the way it is.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, just because she doesn't go against the other lawmakers before her doesn't mean she can't. That's what bothers me. The way I see it, the power to control is is not exercised, but it's still there.

4. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    The governal general is chosen by the PM, and if the PM doesn't like what the Governal Gen. is doing she "asks" (tells) her to step down.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    if the PM doesn't like what the Governal Gen. is doing she "asks" (tells) her to step down.

Chretien is a woman!? That's one ugly woman. :p

Seriously, I guess if the PM has complete control over the actions of the Governor General like that, it isn't a problem.

OK then, the question has been answered. Now we call all discuss what we think our relationship with Britain should be. My opinion has already been posted above.

6. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    I agree with that equal parteners, but its been like that for close to 20 years now right ?

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Since 1947. That's way back before Newfoundland was even a province.

8. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    *decides not to post an opinion, because of her ignorance on the subject at hand and her country's, uh, colorful historical background with Britain, but is very interested in what others think about it*

9. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    We bet those guys in a war. Remeber it? it was called, "The time that us Martimers took over the FFUK". sure, it was called a truce, but we all know who won, right? ;)

10. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    As Izird says, she's chosen by the PM and they won't say a thing against a law because they like their overpriced and meaningless position

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Tamber, I'm disappointed. I would have thought you'd have pledged allegiance to Her Majesty by now. :p ;)

____" AT60 "____

12. Brainfeaster

Brainfeaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    AT, we beat you!

Well the way it looks to me is that we (I am from the UK) have no power over you what so ever. Anyone declared equal in the commenwealth is just that. The only thing would be they would have some representiative of the monachy, which you have said you have, but I think if they have to sign laws its an offical thing. Like over here the Queen has no real power, she has to make all laws legal by signing them still, but if she said no to something then I believe it would be very easy to get passed anyway, she is just a figurehead. Ask Az though, he knows his stuff!

13. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    :eek: Now, Chris...you should know better than that! The only things I pledge allegience to are my God and my country, which I am proud to say is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! hehe...the fact that I go to college in Canada doesn't mean a thing...I think...ummm...Oh, look, CMT is on!

*runs to watch music videos*

14. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    you wish, Brainfeaster.

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Tamber: You are a Canadian now. Why do you insist on lying to yourself? As long as you refuse to respect yourself enough to admit simple facts about yourself to yourself, how can you expect myself and others to respect you? :p ;)

NOTE TO CHRIS: Don't confuse the conversations Tamber and I have with flaming. We talk on MSN and get along just fine. We're only teasing each other.

____" AT60 "____

16. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    :p @ Chris

I don't know what you're talkin about...I am American through and through hehehe...

And I'm proud to be an American
    Where at least I know I'm free
    And I won't forget the men who died
    Who gave that right to me
    And I gladly stand up
    Next to you and defend her still today
    Cause there ain't no doubt, I LOVE THIS LAND
    God Bless the USA

LOL...anyways, back on topic...We're probably taking the older students to Sussex next month to see the Queen when she opens the elementary school there...And I'm really lookin forward to that...

17. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Pfft. You're in denial 8-}

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    And I'm proud to be a Canadian
    Where at least I know I'll freeze
    And I won't forget the men who froze
    To bring those beaver pelts to me
    And I gladly stand up
    Next to you and defend her still today
    Cause there ain't no doubt, I LOVE THIS LAND
    Old Man Winter bless the True North Strong and Free!

:p

Her Majesty is opening an elementary school!? Must be an important school.

19. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    :p @ Kit...not another one!! Y'all are gangin up on me! ;)

[face_laugh] @ Chris...that's was too funny!!

20. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Speaking of Canada's relationship with Britian...what about Quebec's relationship with France?

Or is there still a movement or a sector of Quebec that wants to be seperate from Canada??

21. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Quebec does not have any relationship of any kind with France, and has not for hundreds of years.

The Parti Quebecois, which is the separatist party in Quebec, has promised to hold *another* referendum soon, asking Quebecers of they want independance or not. The last referendum, in the early 1990s, was only barely defeated. Currently, only about 15% of Quebecers want to separate. Separatism is dead. The party just doesn't seem to realize that yet. This referendum will be easily defeated, and it will likely be the last. Separatism is all but dead. :)

____" AT60 "____ says: Long live Canadian unity!

22. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    It is true that Quebec accounts for the most tourism out of the rest of Canada?

I was under the same impression that the seperatist movement was slowly dying. Was the reason they wanted to seperate in the first place because of the cultural differences, you know the French roots versus the English roots?

23. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Actually, there is far more tourism in British Columbia.

The cultural differences are indeed at the root of the problem. Quebecers are different. There's no denying that. They are French, we are English. They are predominantly Catholic, and we are predominantly Protestant. Those two differences are the biggest. They have always demanded that they be allowed to keep their language and their religion, and Canada has allowed that. However, for a long time, it wasn't enough. They still felt that they didn't belong, so they wanted to separate. The federal government made many concessions to them, and finally they decided to stay. That's the simplified version of it.

Some separatists wanted to form their own nation. Others wanted to become the 51st state. My personal opinion is that their differences would not be respected as much by the American federal government as they are by our government. For example, I just cannot picture Bush declaring the country to be bilingual. We are officially a multicultural country. In other words, we're a (to use the politically incorrect but descriptive term) cultural mosaic. It is my belief that no other government in the world would treat a minority in their country with as much respect as the Canadian government has.

____" AT60 "____ says: French packaging for every item is a small price to pay to keep about a third of our population

24. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Very good info! I think that is great that Canada has officially 2 languages. I wish the USA would have french as the second language than I could, parle francais tout les jours! Ok well I speak it everyday anyways! I'd take Quebec as the 51st state anyday...I luvv [face_love] Quebec! I know though Canada wouldn't want to give up that treasure! I love french culture(France) the most!

Actually you are wrong about the tourism thing...Quebec does have more tourism...
    This is from the WB encyclopedia:
    Quebec: More than 22 million tourists a year.
    Ontario: More than 20 million a year.
    B.C.: Around 15 million a year.

25. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    And there you have it...B.C. gets short-changed once again. :)

As to the Crown's authority over Canadian Government, I recall a Federal election a few years back in which my husband made a very interesting observation about the Bloc Quebecois being elected the Official Opposition. He pointed out that there was a small chance they might not wind up being the Opposition, in spite of their receiving the second-highest number of votes, because the full title of that portion of Parliament was called "Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition", and (in his opinion) the Bloc's separatist platforms were anything *but* loyal to Her Majesty's Government of Canada, and the Queen herself (or the Governor-General) had yet to "sign off" on official Royal approval of the new Parliament. :D

Unfortunately, Liz gave it. :)

- Rani

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.